IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

Received my Regen. Mac Mini - Audioquest Cinnamon cable - Regen - 3" home made cable - 2Qute

Intial impression is NO wow factor. At first I said to myself I hear nothing different. After listening to several albums (2 at 96k and 2 DSD) it appears that I notice more decay on fade outs that may suggest a lower noise floor although it seems subtle at best. I will continue to evaluate it with a few different connectors but initial impression is that it does not seem as beneficial for the 2Qute in my system. This maybe a tribute to the design of the 2Qute and no fault of the Regen.

It's not the fault of the Regen . The 2qute with galvanic isolation was the only dac out of 7-8 dacs I tried that did not benefit from the Regen .

I have to believe it's the galvanic isolation that makes the Regen difference with the 2qute negligible.

Additionally , the Regen made a much bigger difference with older computers .

I am not using either one of my Regens with the 2qute .

Earlier in this thread I believe two people mentioned that they would compare the 2Qute with the Yggdrasil. Does anyone know if this has been done and where I can find their findings?

The 2Quote costs about the same as a Schiit Gungnir Multibit. So I'm very interested in the comparison.

I'll let you know about 2Qute vs Gungnir Multibit this weekend .

My upgraded Gungnir comes in today and I have had the 2qute for several months .

Some have suggested the MG is 90 % of the Yggy . I don't know as I have never heard the Yggy.

Can't wait to listen to the MG.

Just fired up the Gungnir MB . Damn ! Much superior to the delta sigma Gungnir cold out of the box. Much better

resolution .

I'm afraid that the 2qute and the MB Gungnir are very close and that's with the Gungnir cold ,not even warmed up or worked in .

I will listen for a while before I make firm impressions and I do think these are the two best dacs under 2k .

I am using both with tube amps( Primaluna and Rogue)

I will say right off the top I think the Gungnir is more resolving than the 2qute without being harsh .

Based on listening for 30 minutes to a variety of songs ,I don't think there is a better value anywhere than a 1,249 dollar

MB Gungnir

Thanks for the quick reporting Jimmypowder!

Schiit sounds like they finally got their schit together...

Here is my ranking of Dacs I have owned or tested ,best to worst .all of these dac are under 2k

1) Schiit MB Gungnir and Chord 2qute tied right now for first until I listen further

2) Benchmark 2 HGC

3) Ifi Micro Idsd

4) Marantz HD dac-1 - Could be in 3rd - haven't listened long enough .

5) Schiit Gungnir Delta sigma

6) Arcam IR dac

7) Audiolab Mdac

8) Benchmark Dac 1

Please continue the feedback. Am debating between a Chord setup (2Qute + Chord SilverPlus USB) and Schiit (Gungnir MB + Wyrd + 2x PYST USB cables). DSD means nothing to me. But the re-sale potential of the Chord vs. Schiit might...

Source: CAPS/HTPC (fed via NAS and HDRomeRun)

USB: Printer cable?

DAC: Meridian Director

Interconnect: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN

IA: NAIM SuperNait2

Cable: Tellurium Q Black 3M

Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260

I may have the delta sigma Gungnir ranked too low- could be no 4 or so but while I liked the dac it lacked resolution . The Gungnir MB is such an improvement over the delta sigma Gungnir that for 400 bucks extra it is a steal .

2qute vs MB Gungnir

Very close match in terms of overall quality.

Bass ,Soundstage slightly better with the Gungnir

Gungnir slightly better , not as harsh on the treble ,high frequencies .

2qute seems to have better rhythm ,flow .

Both sound pretty natural

Both are terrific dacs and one could not go wrong with either . 2qute can play DSD

and is much smaller . Gungnir is 500 dollars cheaper appx.

The 2qute is more broken in than the Gungnir.

Thanks for the pic. I believe you 100%. I just want to see the size difference.

I don't care about DSD.

I do care about potential re-sale value and here I think the Chord has Schiit beat.

Then again saving $500 at the onset is nothing to sneeze about.

I also care about which pairs best with NAIM. I have a SuperNait2 IA. Which DAC wins on PRAT?

RCA output is good enough for me.

I do like the size (and black finish option) of the 2Qute.

I also like how the 2Qute doesn't need any sort of trickery wrt the USB input, filtering, etc.

So, yeah both seem like great options.

If you had to pick just one: which would it be? Which gets sold/returned? Which do you keep? Perhaps audition another week or so and make a decision?

I really don't know yet . They are very close. The Chord 2qute was way better than the Delta Sigma Gungnir .

But the Multibit Gungnir and the 2qute are pretty evenly matched .

I have a Yggdrasil coming in soon and will compare that to the 2Qute and MB Gungnir to see if it's worth spending

an extra 500 bucks or so over the 2Qute.

Of course not, I would not expect any less of you!LoL

and even then, 100lbs is the cutoff for your 2nd system Dac. the main system should be at least an unliftable 250 lbs.

I just wish these damn tube amps I bought were more transportable .

My wife thinks I'm completely insane

In this journey to perfect my sound systems .

She is rolling her eyes around as many pieces as I've moved upstairs and downstairs . Says I'm gonna get a hernia !

When my Yggy comes in I'm gonna make sure she is not home when I put all the cables in , etc .

I have been comparing the 2Q to the Yggy

for months. Last wk. I ordered the Yggy.

I liked:

1. 5 yr. warranty from US co.

2. overbuilt military grade construction

3. Chris Connaker initial impression

4. 15 day return policy

5. generated more sustained mostly favorable

internet buzz

6. now I can buy a Regen and not

feel like such an outsider :)

Mildly xenophobic considerations aside,

if after 14 yggified days there's no

urge to get a norse tree of life facial

tattoo I will order the 2Q.

pb-

I will say after listening to the 2qute and Multibit Gungnir that I slightly prefer the Gungnir .

The 2qute was significantly better than the Delta sigma Gungnir .

Now I have a Yggy coming in so I'm looking forward to listening to it .

The sound quality of the MB Gungnir was so good I had to try the Yggy!

Any more thoughts, Jimmy?

I still have the Audio-GD DAC 19 (10th AE) vs. GMB vs. 2Qute vs. Hugo on my radar.

I've listened to the 2qute and Gungnir Multibit for some time now and I would give the edge slightly to the

Gungnir . The 2qute beats the Delta Sigma Gungnir easily .

IMO these are the two best Dacs under 2k .

I have never listened to a Hugo though the same chip is in the 2qute .

Those who have purchased the Regen for use with the 2Qute. What are your impressions now after considerable time with the combination?

I have had them together for well over a month now and still see no substantial improvement at all. In fact I still hear little if any difference with it in or out and at times it might even be worse with it in. Maybe these 54 year old ears just don't work as well anymore? Anyway I love the 2Qute and have been very impressed by its performance! I may put the Regen up for sale?

I prefer the 2qute without the Regen . I am using the 2qute with an Auralic Aries .

Where the Regen shines IMO is with a computer like my IMac . What source are you using ?

you have my attention. Previously you stated that the 2Qute was a bit better in rythym/drive than the Gungnir Multibit. Is that still the case? Is it a slight difference or definitely pronounced. I am considering these and would pair them with a Rogue Audio Cronus. I value the drive/rythym over detail, but saving $500 is something that i am also a fan of.

It is a slight difference . These Dacs are both superb . I don't think you could go wrong with either .

I do think the 2qute has a bit better rhythm but has has some slight treble harshness though that has subsided quite a bit

after break in

The MB Gungnir seems more analog , smoother .

It's really a tough call .

• 1 month later...
How did this turn out? Have you heard the 2Qute with an audio quality LPS?

The Yggy is better imo than the 2Qute . Wider , deeper soundstage , better defined bass . Both have excellent resolution , the Yggy being a little better in that regard .

Both are excellent dacs , the two best in that 2k range imo

I tried the 2qute with an amber Regen and didn't like it . I'm using an Auralic Aries as the source not a computer .

I have not tried the 2qute with a high quality lps.

• 4 weeks later...