IGNORED

Mac mini ONLY 192k streaming???

Good day!

I joined this forum because when I am searching various items regarding Computer based audio/ media this forum often comes up!

I am hoping the "Gurus" here might be of some assistance with my Mac & Dac:)

CHALLENGE: here's my situation,

while streaming "hi res" from TIDAL or Spotify the DAC shows a bitrate of only 192k..

although it does sound great, I would like to "hear" what I am paying for, TIDAL (Flac 1411K and Spotify 320K! and if I can't get these rates I will cancel both subscriptions.

I'm running WIN7 (boot camp) to the DAC, on other sources like HDD it shows the correct bitrates. This ONLY happens when streaming from the internets

any ideas how I can get the FULL ADVERTISED bit rates?

thanks for any assistance!

M

Server: Rose HiFi 130

Amp: Vitus audio

DaC: T+A D-200

Speaks: Focal utopia

Powered by Shunyata!

You are confusing sampling frequency and "bit rate", which is the degree of compression.

192 kHz is a sampling frequency. What that means is that all content up to 96kHz (one half the sampling frequency) is being passed to your DAC, presumably without any compression.

Compressed mp3 files only go up to 48 kHz sampling frequency, and are normally 44.1kHz, and the compression (bit rate) is one of 128, 160, 192, 224, 256 or 320 kbit/s.

192 kHz ≠ 192 kbit/sec. (1 Hz = 1/sec).

You are confusing sampling frequency and "bit rate", which is the degree of compression.

192 kHz is a sampling frequency. What that means is that all content up to 96kHz (one half the sampling frequency) is being passed to your DAC, presumably without any compression.

Compressed mp3 files only go up to 48 kHz sampling frequency, and are normally 44.1kHz, and the compression (bit rate) is one of 128, 160, 192, 224, 256 or 320 kbit/s.

192 kHz ≠ 192 kbit/sec. (1 Hz = 1/sec).

WG scott,

I could see myself doing that, so I am getting the full rate I am supposed to?

I wish this dac would allow you to choose witch parameter to display.. It does not always display the same information weather its the bit rate or the sampling frequency.

Server: Rose HiFi 130

Amp: Vitus audio

DaC: T+A D-200

Speaks: Focal utopia