IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

4 hours ago, Audio said:

I got the QNAP QSW-1208-8C.

Both 10Gb SPF+ and 1Gb SPF are working harmoniously on all the 12 ports.

The same for Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 16 XG.   Both 10Gb SPF + and 1Gb SPF worked.  Noisy fan noise but was fixed by replacing stock fans with Noctua.  Need to re-drill mounting holes and cut metal off the casing to fix the fans in. 

(Audio) 

Which one had the problematic fan, the QNAP or the Ubiquiti?

• 11 months later...

All,

I'm looking to simplify my current network setup which consists of a modem + router + 24 port HP switch ( the last dedicated for audio use). All the previous great talk here is driving me towards future proofing and going for SFP+ if possible. I was looking at the Ubiquiti ERX SFP, but that would be only SFP and gigabit, while the EdgeRouter Infinity would be a bit of an overkill for home use. 

Do you have any suggestion for an SFP+ capable router with 4-8 standard RJ45 gigabit ports and at least 2 SFP+ ports? A fanless design would be icing on the cake, however I'm not expecting a small footprint for such a device. The SFP+ would be connected to either an OM or an OpticalRendu for streaming.

Is the MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN the only option here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Quokka_61 said:

This is to ask whether any compatibility problems are to be expected with Microtik switches in combination with Finisar SFP+ transceivers.

My reason for this inquiry is that my current QNAP QSW-M408-4C switch stubbornly refuses to recognise either Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV (10G/1G Dual Rate 1310nm Single Mode SFP+) or Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL (10G 1310nm Single Mode SFP+) transceivers. The transceivers themselves were ordered from Mouser and are brand new. When restarting the QNAP switch all LEDs next to occupied ethernet ports flash as part of the booting routine. In contrast, this doesn’t happen when in a SFP+ port a transceiver is inserted and to which on the other end my Fitlet2 (with ‘SFP+ Gbit Ethernet optical FACET-Card’) is connected. The result is, the SFP+ ports of the switch remain inactive and no connection over fiber is established. On the other hand, with either the FTLX1475D3BCV or the FTLX1475D3BTL inserted, the LED next to the SFP+ port of the Fitlet2 does flash a couple of times during booting. This seems to indicate that the Fitlet2 recognises the transceivers (although stating ‘1210 Gigabit Fiber - no cable connected), from which I tentatively conclude that the transceivers themselves are not broken. The problem therefore seems to be at the end of the switch, and some web searching has shown that QNAP switches are notoriously particular in not a very useful way when it comes to transceivers, and that I am not the only one encountering problems.

With a fiber optic tester on its way, I am yet to test my fiber patch cables. In a addition, I have filed a ticket with the helpdesk of QNAP, but given what I have read online I do not exactly have high hopes that I may eventually be able to convince my switch to accept these Finisar transceivers. Should this unfortunately indeed be the case, my next step may be getting myself a Microtik switch (CRS305-1G-4S+IN or CSS610-8G-2S+IN) with both ethernet and SFP+ ports, and connect this by ethernet cable to the QNAP switch on one end, and by optical fiber to the Fitlet2 on the other end.  However, before adding another piece of gear, I am much interested to hear whether any of you has experience with Microtik switches in combination with either dual rate Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV or 10G Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL transceivers, and whether any compatibility problems are to be expected. Any experiences you may be able to share will be much welcomed!

I have exactly the same issue with QNAP (IM-1200-8C) and dual rate Finisar FTLX1475 transceivers. My HP switch works just fine with them, yet the QNAP won't recognize. Do you have an open ticket with them? I'm sure QNAP could fix this with a firmware update.

• 1 month later...

Does any of you have some hands on experience working with Aricent's ISS solution? In particular I try to figure out why is there a default 50-60% CPU load on a QNAP QSW-IM1200-8C switch which is based on Aricent's tech under the hood. There are multiple ISS.EXE processes running (even with a debug switch) and some are taking significant CPU time. All this without any serious load (one Lumin device playing via Sonore OM with a Finisar SFP).

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, barrows said:

OMG, really...  >$5000.00 for a switch with only two ports, and supplied with a cheapo SMPS...  No discussion from Taiko what might even make it good, just that the case is super expensive (machined from a block of copper and chromed).  Does it have a good clock, for example... no mention of such.  Low noise internal circuitry, no mention of such...  All they mention is the case???

Not exactly true. They shared some on their concept. It won't make it any penny cheaper tho.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2023/01/new-taiko-audio-extreme-switch-and.html?m=1

13 minutes ago, barrows said:

I do not see any mention of the technicalities of their switch in the linked advert...  no mention of the design implementations which make their switch "good", just discussions of various ways to connect things and the case.  To be entirely clear, my referral was to the information on their website linked above.

The lack of more / other detail might be intentional. I would be also more interested in what was exactly optimized in the software side by the TACDD interface, but I'm afraid not a whole lot will be openly discussed (and I can partly understand the business reasons).

45 minutes ago, barrows said:

Exactly Alex.  The EtherREGEN is packed full of high end engineering choices, and the best parts for the job, designed with very little compromise.  And the selling price was very reasonable for what one was getting.  I am looking forward to the new version with Gb throughput!

It does look like Nordost has actually designed their own switch, at least from the form factor... 

Or just paid $20 more for a random Chinese manufacturer to redesign an existing gigabit one into a round shape PCB.

• 1 month later...

I have a Qnap QSW-IM-1200-8C, currently waiting for another set of Finisar SFP+ this time choosen from the Qnap compatibility list. Than I can share what is working - with what rate - and what is not. Other end is an OM Deluxe and I also have a Mikrotik CRS-305 just in case.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Can you as of today force the SFP+ into 1 Gb ? And if so did it worked with your present SFP’s

I've tried FTLX1475D3BCV which is dual 10/1Gb with no success. The Qnap won't recognize it at all, that's why I've ordered a pair of FTLX1471D3BCL which is on their compatibility list and SFP+. The Mikrotik would detect 1475 just fine, but it won't work with the OM even if I force it to 1Gb (same issue you described earlier). Currently I'm using an 1Gb Finisar between the Qnap and the OM which works just fine. Since there was a firmware update meanwhile for the Qnap (tho I'm almost sure it has nothing to do/add as for compatibility) I will also retry 1475 later to see if it might be recognized.

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Into the Mikrotik CSS610. 

I think you’re using the router OS in the CRS305-1G-4S+ ? If it works as you’re saying, it’s great. I have one laying here. Not tested myself. 

He is using Switch OS, its clearly visible on the screens.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

How many here have succeeded with the dual rate FTLX1475D3BCV & the MikroTik CSS610-8G-2S+IN together with OM or ER ?

So far @Bertel reports the CRS305-1G-4S+IN works ( somehow) with FTLX1475D3BCV in router OS in Auto. Not in manual setting. 

I think it is still Switch OS.