IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

After reading this post many months over and over again I finally understood all this FMC optical stuff and set it up with the last FMC feeding my Dac powered by the W4S PS 1, the problem was I got the wrong size barrel adapter to use so I took The FMC and PS 1 to my Electrical Engineer to fix the issue . Pictured is his fix, not only did he change out the FMC barrel adapter to the correct size he beefed up the power supply has you can see and wow did it sound good the only issue was the FMC at the front wasn't done and this caused major hick ups in the data packets. I then had the other FMC,s power supply done and the sound came alive with a clearer window into the music, transients were lighting fast along with incredible bass definition All with a total cost of $4.00.

IMG_1391.JPG

I want your electrician to mod my FMCs! I see you are in Saigon (sorry can't bring myself to say HDMI city). Heck at $4 it would still be a cheap upgrade even after shipping. So do you know exactly what was modded?

Yes the power supply, the blue caps you see in the photo they replaced 100 us caps with 1000uv caps as you can see below before and after.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

20170105_084957.jpg

20170105_083829.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm interested in now and maybe someone here has already done it is to get the NetGear router with Lan & Fiber therefore taking out one FMC in the chain eliminating more noise, if anyone has done this I would be very interested in their findings along with a USB 3.0 to fiber connection straight to the network eliminating more copper LAN wire and less noise in the system.

This well be my next project.

Thanks for that feedback Tbooe on the Cisco SG300, Im surprised by this finding actually I thought this would be an improvement. Looking at your set up you have the FMC,s and router plugged into your LPS ? Have you tried running the FMC,s off of a battery?

I have the last FMC before my Arye QX 5 powered off of a battery and it made a difference.

• 2 years later...

Following this thread over the year or so and implementing many ideas it also made me think of a new idea that I tried and am wondering if anyone else has grounded there TP link FMC,s metal frame closest to the server or dac using one of the case screws.

After a few days things seem to be a little clearer.

• 3 months later...

Having set up my optical network based on this very thread and a couple of others I'd like to share a cheap tweak I implemented. As I was reading through the list of modifications on the Aqvox SE switch and being a tweaker this one caught my attention.

- The lining of the metal housing with butyl rubber and thereby silenced also contributed to the sound improvement. A more black background.

This tweak does indeed improve the sound as described on my standard Aqvox switch along with a second basic Cisco switch and both sending and receiving FMC,s. I also installed teflon washers between the PCB boards and metal frame with the idea of removing any vibration.

Im pleasantly surprised with the SQ improvement of such a tweak that cost me nothing but a few hours of time.IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.5a2570794f15f69fcae7b8f08832d1fe.jpegIMG_2016.thumb.jpeg.8767f87fc479cd244d5c2b709578c467.jpeg