IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

7 hours ago, ericuco said:

If you are just using the UR as a HQP NAA, then you want to consider a fitlet2 (or new fitlet3) with a SFP port before getting a OR. Lot less $$ with very similar SQ.

Very cool! Hadn’t seen them before. Besides HQP NAA, wouldn’t it also be possible to run Roon or, my preferred option, Squeezelite?

• 11 months later...
8 minutes ago, barrows said:

I have no idea... One thing to be aware of is the power requirements of these much faster QSFPs, if they require more power, and make more heat, that might be a problem, but it might not.  Of course they would only run at 1 GBe in Sonore devices.  We do not test with other than 1 Gbe SFPs, but I am interested in hearing of any customer's experiments.

Ok, I just ordered a pair. I'll let you know how it goes. I already have heat sinks on both my OMD and OR. I found them getting a bit hotter running 10GBe SFPs. But it's been months and no issue.

Onwards with the SFP journey. I now have a drawerful of them! But I do hear improvements. 

Thanks, @jabbr for the recommendation.

best,

muski

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, dbastin said:

Given there has been discussion here about SFP+, you may be interested to hear Taiko's new switch can be SFP+.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-switch/

Interesting! Strange that it’s just one port in and one port out. The Innuos Phoenix Net is three out, though only RJ45. But it allows me to have my server and two streamers all on one switch. It’d be cool if Innuos added optical!

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

I remember an Innuos piece at the last RMAF being the subject of rave reviews. I gave it a good listen and didn't see/hear what the fuss was about.

I found the PhoenixNet really cleaned things up and made an audible impact. But I also think I have a terribly noisy router, so I can see how YRMV. (The PhoenixNet has four ports and embeds a Sean Jacobs PS).

• 11 months later...
20 minutes ago, Meridimac said:

I also bought a cheap 10GTek FMC 

I had one of these in my chain. I upgraded it to a Sonore Optical Module Deluxe. Pretty significant sound improvement—unsurprisingly, there's much less RF.