IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

Jabbr, what switch setting did you use for the two MC220L's (force or auto)? Who did you order the iPower from, and did they say it was shipping yet (I thought I heard mid-June)?

jabbr:

Could you please give a list of components needed to make an optical network, and what connects to what. Currently I am using a Cisco switch for a 2-pc HQ Player (HQPC and NAA) set up.

Thanks.

There's a lot of discussion of it over on Network Isolation thread. I got educated over the past week or so. The problem with drawing a diagram and listing components is that we don't have enough empirical evidence yet (for audio use). That's why jabbr set up this thread, so those of us trying this stuff could report back compatibilities, incompatibilities, etc. I have what I need to try phase one (except for the actual fiber cables, which arrive this week). I'm doing dual mode (lc-to-lc cabling, FMC's to convert copper ethernet to fiber). Next step is replacing ethernet switches with ones that also handle fiber (so fewer FMCs are needed) and even putting fiber PCIe cards in computers (again, to reduce FMC converters and keep everything cleaner). Jabbr has done most of this already.

Net/net (no pun intended) is to ask that question over on the Network Isolation thread, after maybe reading the last few pages of it, starting with Eurodrivers succesful launch. Leave this thread for success/failure reporting.

Ted: Yes, sure. I did some reading few weeks ago, will go back and try to understand little more, and see how it turns out. Thanks.

When you see "SFP" those are the inserts that go into switches and FMCs (they come "naked" or unconfigured) that the fiber cable plugs into. I bought 8 of them (dual mode lc-lc) from Ebay for $25. I'll report here if they work.

The FMCs take 9V, correct? So perhaps your Teradak set to 5v is causing a problem?

My FMCs (TP-Link MC220L) show they take either 9V or 5V, but not sure the 5V amperage. This is a big issue with me cuz I was planning on powering them with 5V/2A Anker batteries until I decide on full commitment, then will buy iPowers (9V) for each.

5V FMC.jpg

The Anker ports in the first gen E4 and e5 are 1A and 2A. The second gen ones are supposedly up to 3A and self-detecting. I will use 5V/2A to be safe, with charger plugged in (cuz with SSDs, for example, I found no degradation leaving it plugged in).

Replaced my 3-4M copper run from switch to i7 server (HQplayer) with 2 FMCs (MC220L), a 3M run of LC-LC fiber and 2 SFPs (1M of copper at each end). Works fine, sounds great!! Way better noise floor than even the GISO isolation filter and good bonded Belden Cat 6A. The FMCs are currently powered by stock wallwart at switch end and Uptone JS-2's 2nd rail at server end. Plans to have both be Anker battery-powered, but not sure how much better it could get. And I assumed my biggest noise source was the 10M from switch to NAS. That is next (will either buy 2 more FMCs or just buy a fiber switch (Diablo, etc) and use what I have (one FMC on each).

Mine's the second gen E5, Ted. Works fine.

Well, my Ankers (E4 and E5) are first gen and therefore only 2A (and 1A, but tried 2A port). Thought nothing of it; so my USB to 2.1MM dc plugs arrived so I swapped out my MC220L stock wallwart on my switch-side FMC and inserted the E5. It lights up the FX (left side) power and link but the right side only blinks every several seconds...and does not make a connection to the switch. I assume the dc plug is fine (it lights up) but now wondering if it needs 3A? Anyway, back to stock. Still sounds great. (Note: the JS-2 is set for 5V too but powers its FMC just fine (not sure what actual amperage I am getting, but plenty more than 2A I'm sure)

The Gen 2 says it's 3A combined over the two ports, so maybe it also supplies max 2A to one port?

Yours works, mine doesn't. I think the new IQ draw capability sends 3A (or more than 2) if nothing else is connected.

My RX LED blinks on both, even with smps. It doesn't seem to stay steady for long.

My right side (RX and TP link) is off except for a few blinks every minute (with E5 faulty setup). When connected via wallwart the RX blinks constantly and the TX link stays lit, as it should. I will test with another USB-dc plug umbilical later (thinking maybe it's the dc plug size, but doubt it...it clearly gets juice to light up power and FX link).

Not while hooked to charger wallwart...ouch. Nevermind that approach...no way I'm babysitting a battery solution that requires care and feeding (my Ankers powering my SSDs while plugged to the charger work fine and are silent). iFi iPower is the answer, for only a few bucks more. Any sign of your order?

signature8, how do you keep the E4 and E5-powered FMCs charged? Do you take them offline each evening? I ask cuz reports here are that my keep-them-plugged-in setup for my SSDs don't work; they don't provide enough power for FMCs.

E1 and E5 2nd Gen both work ... unfortunately 2nd gen doesn't power while charged -- sigh :-\

My Ankers are permanently plugged in. One has the fourth light constantly blinking (don't know that's E4 orE5, but can tell in the evening), and other has all four solid lights lit always. I have always kept them plugged in when I was using them before for other purposes, even on my SSD (before I switched that to an SR3).

I have them working since Friday evening on FMC's.

?? OK. I'm officially flumoxed. Yes, as I stated numerous times, the plugged in Ankers work fine for SSD power. But Jabbr confirmed that recharging them while using them for these FMCs does not provide enough power......but then you counter that. I tested my E4 and E5 (first gen) both umbilicaled and not, and in both cases do not power "enough" to light all four link/power lights. Any theories as to what's going on here?

I just checked my Amazon account, I have one E4 13000mAH, and I know the other is 15000mAH. I have them plugged in with Astro rapid charger, that was talked about on the SSD power tweak thread. If this helps clarify anything. Both were bought last summer, I do not know gen one or gen two.

Gen 2 output ports are called IQ. Gen 1 output ports are labeled 1A and 2A. My wallwart chargers are the standard 5V/2A USB ones. I find it hard to imagine that the rapid chargers are the reason, especially given that SSDs have a similar power requirement, and they work fine. Anyway, maybe you are right.

The good news is that the system sounds great, regardless. I listened to a particular cut last night, Ray Lamontagne's "Are We Really Through?" comes out of a blackness I've never experienced before. It was spooky.

Mine have 1A, and 2A output ports, so they are Gen-1 then.

Weird then. Oh well, I will keep trying variables. I did receive back my iFi iUSB that I loaned out, and am using it as purely a power supply (they give you a USB to dc plug as an accessory) and it works fine. It replaces my stock wallwart on the FMC at the switch, and will report back later on any sq improvements (can't imagine more blackness.....a black hole will be formed and I will be sucked into it).

Edit: Update: so I swapped out the USB to dc umbilical I was using with the E5 and instead used the white one that came with the above-mentioned iFi iUSB. Voila! The E5 now works plugged in. ?? The dc plug?

These 220L's are the dogs bollocks in between two PC's! (especially with Server 2012/ AO)

More detail, expansiveness and ease compared to without them. Highly recommended...:)

+1.

Another Mellanox issue for me: I can't get it to see a cable. It shows as an ethernet adapter in my network on my Zuma (along with my copper one which I need to keep connected so I can see my computer on remote desktop....at least until the fiber/Mellanox works). But it has a red X and says network cable unplugged. The other end (TP-Link MC220L) has the FX link blinking, not steady (as my successful NAA FMC-to-FMC fiber install is...steady). I've tried different fiber cables, different SFPs in the card, sdifferent FMCs. everything. TCPIP settings seem ok (DHCP, etc). I have driver 4.1.10092 (found automatically). I tried setting the FMC to auto, to force, resetting in between, nothing.

Any ideas? Maybe the HQP pc server end isn't worth it? Stay copper for now as long as NAA is fiber??

Update: I upgraded the driver to 4.8 (supposedly needed for WS2012) but still same status...seen but showing network cable unplugged. Some googling says I need a subnet? Argh...over my head here.

I'm not a Mellanox expert but perhaps your SFP module is not compatible with the card?

That's what it feels like. It's the Finisar SFPs and the Mellanox MNPA19-XTR card. Googling a forum or two seems to say that Mellanox cards are pretty agnostic. Weird.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020KPARQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Try these from Amazon. First under used for $7.11 including shipping come actually new, shipped from Virginia.

I have not resolved Remote Desktop yet, but can't be the SFP.

Thx. I wonder if switches like Diablo or TP-Link will accept mix and match SFP brands. I have 8 Finisars and they work in the FMCs so far.

The TP link definitely takes mix & match SFP ... I would expect the Diablo to also ... its possible you just got a bad SFP module?

As I mentioned earlier, I tried several (all Finisar) modules. And switched FMCs at the back end, etc. No errors, no nothing...just "disconnected". Tried setting static IP with subnet mask. Currently I have it disabled and using copper. It's is the HQ player server, not the NAA (which has FMC-to-FMC isolation) so it is theoretically less important, but the only pc I can install it on anyway. I'm gonna try Cisco SFPs and send signature8 a Finisar or two for him to try on his new TP-Link switch (to somewhat definitively answer the mix and match question)..

Driver config? The driver is one of the latest (4.8), which I downloaded (it auto found 4.1 and had same results, but documentation says 4.8 is minimally needed for WS2012). The pc sees the card and all it's driver info and settings. As stated earlier, the FMC sees the link, but it blinks a bit, not steady light (unlike my successful connections). But the FMC surely sees something, cuz when I disable or unplug the fiber the fx link light goes off. Currently the card has a static IP, but is moot cuz it has never been found anyway. DHCP was no better.

BTW, the card does not try to be the boot up device (unlike sig8's issues). BTW, don't worry about my copper ethernet connection called Jplay. That name is from a former setup. It's standard stuff. I have it plugged in so I can do remote desktop.

mellanox 1.jpg

Windows can get spastic with 2 network cards -- lookup "windows multihomed network configuration"

Yeah, much of my feedback was with the copper adapter disabled (dragged a monitor into the room). Still no luck. Maybe disabled isn't far enough for Windows.

Ted, are both Nics intended to be on the same subnet? If so, you can bridge them.

That unfortunately gets me nowhere, cuz as soon as I disconnect the copper (my goal here, to eliminate copper noise and only use fiber) then the connection is lost anyway. Even when bridged the Mellanox shows as disconnected, no cable.

After you change the force or auto setting, make sure to power down and back up the units. They need to be set the same at both sides and are easily accidentally flipped. I ran into that problem before.

What do you mean "both sides" there is only one FMC in this example, the other end is the pc with a Mellanox card. And yes, I have tried both force and auto on the FMC, and unplug/plug the dc power each time I do that. Not sure where to tell Mellanox force or auto, frankly.

Lmitche, no the Mellanox was delivered a few days ago and I have not gotten it to work. We are suspecting a possible Finisar SFP incompatibility (suspecting it cuz I've run out of ideas) so I have some Ciscos on the way. The weirdest issue is that the FMC FX link sees it (but the light is not steady, it blinks steadily), the pc sees it and if I truly unplug the fiber the light goes out...but Windows says disconnected regardless..and there is no communication.

Yes, the assumption going in to the Mellanox (turned on to us by jabbr) is that it is indeed 100base-LX compatible, being that we already have SFPs into FMCs that are that spec. And the simple fact that Ashok (signature8) has the same card and it works. :) ? I will uncover whether the Finisar SFP is an issue when my Ciscos arrive tmrw.