IGNORED

I2S cables, 5-pin DIN

Howdy Chris,

Using your review, and others, I have just received a new Stello CDT 100 and DA 100 Signature. Am listening using the I2S connection at this time. Sounds Super!

Using the supplied I2S cable, but would like to upgrade. Searched the usual suspects without success. Hoping the members will have some suggestions.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Answering my own question feels odd. The question was also posted on Head Fi with only a few responses, and not one user could find a cable. I purchased a 5 pin mini-DIN cable from Camelot Technology. The dealer was Alan Grau at AudioWaves. Works well, better than the supplied generic (which is sold in bundles of 100). Unfortunately I have nothing else to compare the cable with. Wish I could find another source. May eventually have a cable custom made. Trying to keep the cost down. May also try an AES/EBU cable. If anyone comes across a 5 pin mini-DIN for I2S, I would be glad to hear of such a cable.

i2s cables won't exist, because the whole connection - as an outward connection - does not exist. Of course, people can tag it "i2s" (like the one you bought) but it can be anything, just to the manufacturer's convenience (like RJ45 with Cat6 or 7).

What I understand of it, is that a normal PS/2 cable becomes compatible once you cut out a pin (http://pinouts.ru/Home/minidin_to_din_pinout.shtml) but be careful with the remark about another pin possibly not being connected.

Ok, I am only telling you this because it might give more options and who knows "golden" PS/2 cables are produced somewhere (this is just keyboard/mouse cable).

I found this too : http://pinouts.ru/connector/5_pin_mini-din_connector.shtml

Btw, keeping the cable short is the most important.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Good Afternoon PeterST,

I have found everything you said in your post to be correct. A standard connection does not exist for I2S. Manufacturers use whatever is handy. The 5 pin mini-DIN connection on my Stello is just one of many. Thus, finding ready made cables is an exercise in frustration. Custom cables are availabe. I could solve the problem by using AES/EBU; all cable manufactures have a cable in stock. Still, I remain fascinated with I2S.

Thanks for your insights!