IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
it said on their marketing windows control point coming soon.

i personally, don't want to use a smartphone or tablet for endpoint. I may be a minority, but i sit at my computer all the time and want to control from windows...and i am sure there are others out there that feel the same way, albeit we may be a dying breed, with most of the new generation unable to put their phone down for 10 seconds....i rarely pick mine up...i even do my texting from my pc.

Put your Android phone beside your PC when you want to control your Aurender. ? I would think there's little chance a full-blown PC control app will be developed by them. Did they really say so on their website..? Personally I wouldn't hold my breath. The Android app is still in its first iteration already for years and although it's fine for basic control, it still doesn't support Tidal or web radio. Clearly the iPad is their primary choice for controlling their devices and their updates for this device are very frequent and fast.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I don't know exactly how the Aurender does that, I forget how they describe that on their website.

But isn't the real bottom line not technical details, per se, but the ultimate essence of high quality sound?

For me, that's all that matters...and I care less how the machines get there.

Fully agree. The Aurenders sound excellent connected to Ethernet. Having said that I found that connecting an AudioQuest Jitterbug (just € 50,-) to my router's USB port did improve the sound of streaming Tidal music in making it less 'glassy'. Certainly worth trying! However, connecting the Jitterbug directly to an unused USB slot on the Aurender itself actually decreased sound quality. Less transparency and loss of finer HF details. Be careful if and where you use these buggers..

• 4 weeks later...
Probably not as good however as 2 x 5cm runs of really ordinary, crap even (data only, GND lift after handshake) wire and an Intona Industrial.

Sad but extremely likely to be true.

Not having a dig mind, just a helpful reality check for those who seek the truth at real world prices.

Don't judge before you have heard them. Mono crystal really works wonders. Check out the Hifi+ review for those interested. I'm not trying to promote or sell anything. I was simply blown away by the improvements, and so were others.

That's fine... I'm not saying it doesn't sound excellent and definitely not meant as a dig.

;-)

... but, I would invite you/them to do what I have done and then compare.

I'm as sure as can be that my USB signal path is unlikely to improve at any price (save for perhaps how it's powered).

If you think about it, galvanically isolating the source, making runs as short as possible and completely cutting the GND connection throughout has to be at least as effective than what any single piece of wire (regardless of materials or construction) is capable of doing.

Once the GND line is broken, the electrical relationship is completely altered - the Intona works wonders and is loved By a great many.

The point was there are many ways to achieve truly great results... but only one can be the most cost effective.

I do believe the Intona can provide huge improvements to many systems. However, my previous attempt with the AQ Jitterbug (a very different concept than Intona, I know) was actually counterproductive. I guess the quality of the USB connection on both sides is crucial to be able to decide what works and what doesn't. In case of the N10 and my brand new dCS Rossini I don't think there's any reason for complaints [emoji4] and also I think galvanic isolation is already used in one or both of these devices. I know for sure that my previous Puccini U-Clock already had galvanic isolation, so it's very likely that the Rossini has it too which would make the Intona superfluous. And contrary to other reports even then the improvement with the Crystal Cable was and is simply unbelievable.

It would be good to compare... I'm still backing myself.

;-)

... yes in my system the AQJB was certainly counter productive. I think it's mainly for improving poor quality gear, not high-end components. People that are using them on high-end gear should remove them and see if the 'music' improves.

Fully agree on the AQJB. That was exactly my experience too: I thought it was actually OK and an improvement for months. Then I removed it from the X100L I was using at the time and the soundstage as well as the highs opened up significantly. However, it does work pretty well on the USB port of my main router. Seems to give more silence and a better rounded performance.

I have A/B with and without Jitterbug per your advice in Isolation thread and still think Jitterbug sounds better?? I wonder why??

Im going to just take your advice and follow consensus and remove it (I will put it in my router per Vincent suggestions).

Now I need to buy an intona !!

So the important question I have for you is,,, how much will you charge me to build me a few of your DYI USB 5V grnd lift cables?? :)

i would need one out of Aurender, 1 into RUR and 1 out of RUR (that sounds correct?)

PM me if you would consider making and selling me 2-3 of these, I would really like to take you up on your "experiment with these" suggestion and I have zero capability of being able to make my own to try it!!

Allen

W.r.t. using the AQ Jitterbug: if your ears tell you that the sound of your system is better with than without one, it probably is! [emoji4] Everything is system dependent, so our experiences are nothing more than ours. Just try and trust your own ears. That's the best advice I can give. [emoji6]

I ordered a new Aurender N10 today, a silver one with 4TB of storage. The more I researched this music server the more it appealed to me. A friend has two N10's, one 4TB and one 8TB model. He has two excellent sound systems and loves the Aurender N10's. He told me they would be the very last audio components to ever leave his home.

Looks like I have to endure a short wait so I am beginning to rip music to a spare 1TB hard drive in anticipation of moving the music files to the N10. I have already downloaded the Aurender Conductor app to my iPad. I am excited and looking forward to enjoying the N10 music server.

Congratulations, it's really awesome! [emoji4]

Bug alert!

I noticed the latest firmware update of Aurender to cause audio dropouts for 1 to 3 seconds when playing hi-res music files. I hope Aurender fix this fast. I would also like to have the ability to turn on and off USB power - this is a very good feature especially for DAC that does not require a USB power for hand shake - SQ is up significantly if the USB power can be turned off.

Thanks. Which Aurender are you using?

The last update was in June or am I missing something? Did a new one just come out? I have no such issue with a N10.

Also concerning agladstone comment on what cable to connect. I prefer the AES EBU I did initial testing with similar quality cables and liked the AES EBU best. Maybe I was just confirming my bias as I just don't get the fascination with USB. It seems like a connection that many manufacturers have worked hard to make it work yet have over looked the obvious standard connection. I get it that this whole thing started with laptops and it was the only connection available but I think most would agree Aurender like products have kind of obsoleted the laptop or mac mini for that matter. Just like modern DAC's have basically obsoleted preamps if digital is your only source.

I'm putting on my flame resistant clothing awaiting incoming fire balls.

No flames incoming. [emoji6] But I would like to remark that the Aurender is simply a computer itself, albeit a very specialized and excellent sounding one. I have no issues with USB whatsoever. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On future models maybe they will if they read CA.

Some of this stuff is recent amateur discovery.

Aurenders are great without these tweaks... utterly incredible with them.

It's a good point though, and I certainly would be very interested if someone from Aurender (or a technically knowledgeable dealer) would step in here and explain to us if there are different technical solutions applied in the several Aurender models w.r.t. USB implementation and isolation. It's clear the more expensive units sound even better, but some more technical reasons why would be great info for this forum! [emoji4]

Hi all. First post here. I had a X100L for the past 2 years, sold it last week. Loved it but I now need something with a dac and balanced outputs. So I'm looking closely at the A10 but I can't find any reviews or comments on its performance, especially the dac part. Why is that? Anyone tried it yet?

Thanks in advance for the replies

It's still pretty new, so formal reviews will probably take a bit more time to appear. My dealer just received it and they were pretty happy with its performance, although it will need some more playing time to properly settle in.

Ok so just a little back ground. Started about 3 years ago getting serious again about audio. Started with a Mac Mini- Eastern Electric Dac combo( not the supreme, the top one prior). Found the Mac to be to confusing and glitchy for my limited computer knowledge. Then tried a Bryston BDP-1 which reminded me of the early days of CD, kinda flat and un-involving. From there I went with an Oppo Modwright tube DAC and a top Auralic Aries Streamer. Ok... ease of use, petty good sound. The Aries would change signatures with every software upgrade. Very detailed but forward sound.

Then I checked out an Aurender N100S (Solid state internal storage drive). Yea here you go .. laid back easy to listen too.. no fatigue.

Then I heard about the A10 late last year and thought how cool it would be to have a 1 box solution, but had my doubts it could match or exceed the Modwright/N100S combo but sure would clean up the rack.

Just installed on Saturday. First tried as a stand alone directly into the Odyssey Kismet Mono Blocks. Sounds pretty good out of the box. Most folks would be very happy with the sound. I now have plugged it in to the Modwright 9.0 anniversary pre-amp and will report back as I can spend more time with it. ( early results are outstanding).

My dealer offered me a 30 day trial period and all I do is pay for return shipping if I am not happy. Cant beat that!!

Sounds good! And I trust that the DAC section will sound pretty good too. [emoji4] However, I would like to add a remark here. The convenience of a 1 box solution of course also has some downsides. Especially DAC's are evolving in a very fast pace nowadays. So having your server and DAC separated can be a good choice over the long run, since you can upgrade your DAC easily w.o. changing your server. It's a personal matter of the SQ level at which you would like to end your audio journey. [emoji6]

That's fine... I'm not saying it doesn't sound excellent and definitely not meant as a dig.

;-)

... but, I would invite you/them to do what I have done and then compare.

I'm as sure as can be that my USB signal path is unlikely to improve at any price (save for perhaps how it's powered).

If you think about it, galvanically isolating the source, making runs as short as possible and completely cutting the GND connection throughout has to be at least as effective than what any single piece of wire (regardless of materials or construction) is capable of doing.

Once the GND line is broken, the electrical relationship is completely altered - the Intona works wonders and is loved By a great many.

The point was there are many ways to achieve truly great results... but only one can be the most cost effective.

Hi r_w. Getting back to our previous discussion w.r.t. the importance of USB isolation. I read today in an official dCS press release that the Ethernet and USB interfaces of the new network board of the Vivaldi 2.0 Upsampler are both galvanically isolated. This exact same network board is used in my Rossini player, for which it was actually initially designed. So, it's official now: isolated it is. [emoji6] Probably further isolation would reap little rewards if at all. However, I can assure you that still this certainly cannot be said of using the Crystal monocrystal USB cable compared to a lesser cable. The difference really is night and day.. [emoji4]

I'm sorry if I'm breaking up a conversation here. I'd be interested in people's impressions about the SQ between Tidal and the same music run losslessly from the Aurender. I've run a number of comparisons, with mostly classical music. It could be my ears or my crappy equipment but, I detect only a slight (but consistent) diminution in quality with Tidal.

I'd be glad to get into details with willing participants.

Hi Pat, I for sure think your equipment is far from crappy.. [emoji6] My own experience with Tidal (also mostly classical music) is more or less the same. In general Tidal to me seems to sound a bit less 'grounded' and substantial than locally stored files. However, it does depend very much on the specific album or edition. Sometimes Tidal sounds even better than my local files. What I would also like to suggest is to rip your own CD's in WAV instead of FLAC. WAV sounds slightly more detailed in my system, regardless of all the discussions of FLAC being decompressed in a bit-perfect way. Since storage is so cheap it's certainly worth trying.

No you don't, it's just a matter of getting used to the app, which is good but not quite yet perfected.

Further more, nobody who buys an Aurender is at all likely to be a dumb ass.

Enjoy.

;-)

I heard from my dealer they are working on an overhaul of the app. To be honest, although it's pretty OK compared to the competition, I think it's about time for that. It used to be ahead of the game, but it isn't anymore. And I for sure would be very happy to be able to choose a more modern colour scheme than the current brownish Seventies one.. [emoji6] Anyone heard some news about an app update..?

Thank you. I can see the music in the folder, but hitting albums or artists does nothing. The owners manual says that if music disappears, "please check to see that filter has not been accidentally selected (shaded black)." It also says " you can tell if a filter is activated

That is a very strong statement !

Yesterday I compared the dCS Rossini against the NAGRA HD DAC, booth feed by an Aurender, and the NAGRA DAC Is so much (to my taste) better that I am almost about to order the NAGRA. It bring saoul and spirit in my music that I do not get with other DACS !

But... If you say that the A10 "kill" the Debussy, then I should try it. This solution will save me a LOT of money and will make my system much simpler with this 1 box solution (I hate câbles :-)

Could le you tell us in more details what you liked in the A10's DAC sound ? Warm ? Precise ? ...

thanks

I have my doubts about that comparison too. By the way, that also goes for the Nagra (excellent DAC!) versus the Rossini. I've heard both extensively and I feel the Rossini sounds more analogue and real. But of course it's always a matter of taste and also of system synergy. Did you listen to the Rossini with or without the external clock?

Aurender 's app is much better than any Moon, also sound quality.

You haven't experienced what Aurender can offer soundwise. Aurender needs :

A great power cord,

Great isolation,

Great USB cable,

Giso LAN isolation,

Etc.....

Then you will see the sound quality elevate. Aurender has more sound capabilities if someone wishes to go the extra mile......

Same case as with amplifiers,dacs, pre amplifiers, speakers etc....

You seem to be assuming a lot about what others might or might not be using in their Aurender based systems, while you simply don't know..

Fact is that Roon is leading the market with their user interface and others (including Aurender) can only dream about the user experience Roon is offering currently. The only reason Aurender is not offering Roon integration can IMO only be explained by financial reasons (likely Aurender not willing to pay the money Roon was asking). There was a time that it was rumoured that Roon and Aurender would cooperate. Now I'm not saying Roon is mandatory for Aurender's survival or to continue their success. But competition is really fierce and if they don't rebuild their app in a more modern way and include more metadata power I do think they will be getting a hard time. Even cheap streamers are offering Roon now and yes, besides SQ the user interface is absolutely key in this business. Not only Aurender makes great sounding servers!