IGNORED

Dirac & active 3-way crossover

Top nice! :-D Thank you for your reply.

Already own the 8 channel version of Dirac, and it already sounds very good through the passive XO.

The passive XO is a 3. order for the woofers and tweeter, and a 2. order for the midrange. With crossover points at 250hz/2500Hz.

My plan is to try out 8. order Linkwitz, on all drivers, and at 200Hz/3000Hz instead.

So next question must be, if I will get better sound going active? :-)

Probably yes to getting better sound going active. The power amps will have much more control on the drive units so the detail retrieval is much better in my experience.

That said unless you absolutely need the very step filters that 8th order Xo can produce I would question their merit over the classic 4th order.

The reason i say this is simple, the greater the order the greater the circuitry (most 8 order crossovers are built from 4 x 2nd order circuits) so they are expensive and put the signal through more processing.

I have used a 4th order with great effect. I feel it is a good middle ground. You are using 2/3rd order so it would seem that you can deal with shallower slopes.

I have no comment on the Xo frequencies, these look quite regular and I assume match your drivers capability.

I use Dirac (via Amarra) and I am very happy with the perform coupled with active XOs

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Probably yes to getting better sound going active. The power amps will have much more control on the drive units so the detail retrieval is much better in my experience.

Yes, I quote blueixus as I also personally favour active Xovering (if well implemented) over passive crossovers for several reasons :)

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot comment the Marchand units (as well as other brands),

please note that I'm admittedly biased towards miniDSP but if you are looking for flexible solutions (at the cost of more work) you may also evaluate the following: Stereo 3/4way Xover

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Right, if you know already the crossovering parameters that you want to apply you will not have to measure the drivers... if necessary you will find support, in addition to the manual, in the miniDSP tech-support forum here:

MiniDSP :: Category Index

Ciao, Flavio

• 1 month later...
Top nice! :-D Thank you for your reply.

Already own the 8 channel version of Dirac, and it already sounds very good through the passive XO.

The passive XO is a 3. order for the woofers and tweeter, and a 2. order for the midrange. With crossover points at 250hz/2500Hz.

My plan is to try out 8. order Linkwitz, on all drivers, and at 200Hz/3000Hz instead.

So next question must be, if I will get better sound going active? :-)

Going active will enable your amplifiers to control the movement of your speaker elements more directly, thus improving transient reponse, for example. It will have a major impact, even if you have a good passive x/o today.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The minidsp has arrived. Right now its setup for 350Hz lowpass @ 48db LR, for the bass. And the Accuton midrange is crossed at 300Hz, don't remember the slope but think I chose 24db BW. And it's lowpass at 2800Hz @36db BW. And the treple unit is crossed at 3000Hz @ 48db LR. This "weird" combination of xo points/type and slopes, gives a near perfect measured frequency response around the xo points, even without any EQ or Dirac they sound pretty good.

For some reason I can't cross the bass/mid at lower frequencies without getting a huge dip around the XO.

But I'm very pleased with the upgrade. The midrange is more open and forward, there's more punch in the low mid/bass. More control in the bass at high spl. And the treple is more gentle to the ear, I guess because of lower distortion maybe.