IGNORED

No sound when playing DSF file through SOTM -sms100 and AUdio-GD DAC NFB-7

Well, being single rate DSD files, I'd suspect that the NFB-7 supports a very early spec of DoP (so earlier than 1.0) or it's support of DoP 1.0 is somehow faulty.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Well, being single rate DSD files, I'd suspect that the NFB-7 supports a very early spec of DoP (so earlier than 1.0) or it's support of DoP 1.0 is somehow faulty.

Hi,

Here is the status displayed on the sotm when paying a DSD file (still no Sound), may be it can help...

USB DAC status (/proc/asound/card0/stream0):

Audio-gd Audio-gd at usb-orion-ehci.0-1.2, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 3

Packet Size = 456

Momentary freq = 176408 Hz (0x16.0d0d)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S16_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 4 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000

Data packet interval: 500 us

Interface 1

Altset 2

Format: S24_3LE

Data packet interval: 250 us

Interface 1

Altset 3

Format: S32_LE

Data packet interval: 250 us

USB DAC hardware status (/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params):

access: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S32_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 176400 (176400/1)

period_size: 2000

buffer_size: 10000

Thanks

Hi Serge,

Unfortunately I have a limited understanding of Linux's ALSA audio drivers, which I believe the SOtM status is showing, or more precisely showing the NFB-7's audio driver's capabilities. However, I believe it's indicating that NFB-7 has 3 settings:

altset 1, using the 16 bit depth S16-LE format;

altset 2, using the 24 bit depth S24-3LE format and

altset 3, using the 32 bit depth S32-LE format.

It's also showing that the Playback Status is Running, which we expected as playback is working on the SOtM. However, Playback is also showing that it's using the 32 bit depth altset 3, which may well be what is causing your problem. DoP uses 24 bits, so the SOtM should be using altset 2 during its playback, not altset 3. If the NFB-7 receives a 32-bit PCM signal, it's likely that it won't be triggered into 'DoP mode'.

Also, I believe that final paragraph in the status displayed by the SOtM summarises the audio driver settings it has chosen for the NFB-7. The 176400 Hz sample rate certainly matches that expected for DoP for single rate DSD. However, the 32-bit S32-LE format does not.

In order to have bit perfect playback, the player is supposed to match the file's bit depth and sample rate. For some reason the SOtM is selecting the wrong bit depth for the NFB-7's audio driver. This could either be because you are running a buggy version of MinimServer, that's producing DoP with 32 bits (unlikely, I've certainly never heard of that fault), or the SOtM is somehow overriding the DoP file's correct 24 bit depth.

Are you using the latest version up to date version of MinimServer?

Is there a setting on the SOtM to hard set the output's bit depth, especially to 32-bits?

I certainly think it's worth contacting Sonore with that status output and asking if the SOtM's use of the 32-bit S32-LE Format (via altset 3) for the NFB-7, is normal when playing DoP files.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Ceb,

Thanks for your analyse. This output is when I was trying with Logitech Media Server 7.9. with the DSD Player plugin activated.

Based on your suggestion, I have set on the SOTM thedepth to 32 but it didn't change anything :-(

I will contact Sonore about your question.

Thank you.

Serge

Serge, I think you've misunderstood. If there is a bit depth setting, then make sure it's not set to 32. DoP needs to use 24-bits.

What are the options for this setting and what was it set to before you set it to 32?

It's worth checking the output using MinimServer set for dopwav and seeing if it's the same as using LMS 7.9. If that SOtM status is also showing it using altset 3 (ie 32-bit), then it's even more likely to be an issue with the SOtM rather than LMS & MinimServer DoP production.

-- Jo Cox

Oops!

these are the values available: Auto, 16, 24, 24_3, 32 (The title of this field is: Sample format used by your DAC).

I will try with 24.

There is also a parameter :

Enable mmap Use MMAP to determine your DAC configuration

I have played with this without success

Thx

Ok, then if it was originally set on Auto when you looked at the status display, then the auto feature (ie the auto matching feature I was talking about) is not automatically selecting the 24 bits for some reason, so it's worth testing with the manual 24_3 setting to see if that works. I think it should the 24_3 one & not 24, because the NFB-7's altset 2 setting mentions the S24_3LE format (not plain S24_LE).

If it wasn't originally set to Auto, so presumably it was set to 32, then try Auto.

A bit like the blind leading the bind here, as I've never played with the SOtM. It's probably best to enable MMAP - I'm guessing that it'll help it select the correct setting for the NFB-7 when you are using Auto.

-- Jo Cox

Ok, then if it was originally set on Auto when you looked at the status display, then the auto feature (ie the auto matching feature I was talking about) is not automatically selecting the 24 bits for some reason, so it's worth testing with the manual 24_3 setting to see if that works. I think it should the 24_3 one & not 24, because the NFB-7's altset 2 setting mentions the S24_3LE format (not plain S24_LE).

If it wasn't originally set to Auto, so presumably it was set to 32, then try Auto.

A bit like the blind leading the bind here, as I've never played with the SOtM. It's probably best to enable MMAP - I'm guessing that it'll help it select the correct setting for the NFB-7 when you are using Auto.

YES YES YES ! :-)

You are a God. It works with 24_3 :-)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

The nightmare is over. Ouf!

Ok, very good news - definitely not a God, just your normal down to earth computer geek!

Lucky you posted that status display, otherwise I would have still been suspecting an issue with DoP support of the NFB-7!!

Still worth checking if Auto works. Otherwise, you are going to have to reset it depending on the resolution of the all the files you are playing, if you want bit perfect, so includes even for PCM files.

-- Jo Cox

Ok, very good news - definitely not a God, just your normal down to earth computer geek!

Lucky you posted that status display, otherwise I would have still been suspecting an issue with DoP support of the NFB-7!!

Still worth checking if Auto works. Otherwise, you are going to have to reset it depending on the resolution of the all the files you are playing, if you want bit perfect, so includes even for PCM files.

Hi,

I have tested since, it works for other resolutions. The annoying thing is that I hace a loud "Click" everytime the DAC switch between a DSD file and Flac file :-( Imagine when a playlist of dsd files and flac files!

I can play DSD files if I use Logitech Media Server as on the Sotm-sms 100 squeezelite settings, I can specify the depth of 24_3.

It doesn't work with Minimserver

but with Upnp/DLNA on the Sotm, there is no setting you can specify!!! I guess that is the reason why it doesn't work with Minimserver. Maybe the Sotm is still sendind the dsf/dop file with a depth of 32 instead of 24...

All my previous unsuccessfull tests were done with the "auto" setting selected.

Can't find the Sotm Support to ask how the auto setting works or why on DLNA side there is no setting...

Serge

I've heard of some DACs making noises when changing from PCM mode to DSD mode & back. So yes, mixed playlists will be an issue, not sure what you can do for that.

That's unfortunate about the Auto setting plus no ability to manually select 24_3 with UPnP/DLNA on the SOtM using your DAC.

I'm surprised you can't find Sonore support. Jesus Rodriguez from Sonore is usually quite active on these forums, user name vortecjr. You should be able to contact him via a PM or may be on the main SOtM sMS-100 thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/soul-music-mini-server-sms-100-announced-17228/index15.html

-- Jo Cox