IGNORED

any thoughts on Marantz SR5009 vs SR7008 for music

any thoughts on the marantz SR5009 vs SR7008 for music, (using sonos spdif inoutand output to B&W 683 speakers)

I can get the SR5009 for $500 and the SR7008 for $800 (7008 has slightly more power,XT32 for auto room correction and a nicer front panel)..but I digress

thanks

any thoughts on the marantz SR5009 vs SR7008 for music, (using sonos spdif inoutand output to B&W 683 speakers)

I can get the SR5009 for $500 and the SR7008 for $800 (7008 has slightly more power,XT32 for auto room correction and a nicer front panel)..but I digress

thanks

If you're really only using if for SPDIF, the power rating and XT32 are the main differences.

The 5009 supports HDMI 2.0, and also supports more file types natively like AIFF and DSD so its probably more future proof for video and if you wanted to get into streaming these file types from a network.

The 7008 has a phono input if you have turntable while the 5009 does not.

Sounds like good prices either way.

thanks

Both nice receivers but.....if you are only going to use amp for 2 channel music then you might want to stretch your budget to their new PM7005 integrated which has a terrific USB input along with great SPDiF dac which can also accept dsd should you want down the road. Also has very good phono stage and the ability to shut digital completely off if you are using amp in analog mode. A great piece from Marantz and a far more capable piece for what you are thinking about. Perfect match for the Sonos Connect!

Marantz US | PM7005

David

Thanks guys,

I'm using my system for music and movies, want to prioritize music and these options are potentially a stop gap..

If I stay 2ch for music and movies, I'll eventually upgrade to a Rotel Integrated Amp ($1600), and use its optical inputs for video sources' audio (blu ray/DVR) and my TV to switch video sources.

If I want 5.1 for movies and 2ch music OR I need HDMI video switching without 5.1 (with 2ch music) I'll have to upgrade to an AV processor/power Amp, (AV proc. is required for HDMI switching)

2 different upgrade paths but both start with an AVR and while it may seem silly to spend $800 on an AVR and try and sell it a year later, I'd probably break even or close to it as these are well discounted and both should be good options for music right now. hence the comparision

Thanks guys,

I'm using my system for music and movies, want to prioritize music and these options are potentially a stop gap..

If I stay 2ch for music and movies, I'll eventually upgrade to a Rotel Integrated Amp ($1600), and use its optical inputs for video sources' audio (blu ray/DVR) and my TV to switch video sources.

If I want 5.1 for movies and 2ch music OR I need HDMI video switching without 5.1 (with 2ch music) I'll have to upgrade to an AV processor/power Amp, (AV proc. is required for HDMI switching)

2 different upgrade paths but both start with an AVR and while it may seem silly to spend $800 on an AVR and try and sell it a year later, I'd probably break even or close to it as these are well discounted and both should be good options for music right now. hence the comparision

Cool! Sounds like you know the direction you are heading.

David