IGNORED

Backing up blu rays

zenpmd

How can I (pretty much) losslessly compress blu rays? At the moment I am pure ripping on anydvd - now need something to make smaller

Thanks

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

There is no (pretty much) lossless compression for Blu-ray. Blu-ray already uses efficient compression. If you want to make the files considerably smaller, the quality will degrade.

Of course there are plenty of movie downloads available which compress a 30GB movie to 4 or 8GB 1080p MKV files, and the quality might be good enough for most people, but it's clearly not the same as the original disc.

Claude

There is no (pretty much) lossless compression for Blu-ray. Blu-ray already uses efficient compression. If you want to make the files considerably smaller, the quality will degrade.

Of course there are plenty of movie downloads available which compress a 30GB movie to 4 or 8GB 1080p MKV files, and the quality might be good enough for most people, but it's clearly not the same as the original disc.

Thanks. Something like 4 or 8 gig would work. How can I do that to my current rips?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to this, if I just want to straight rip a DVD (not a blu ray) whats the best option? What, for blu ray, is the best option for straight copies rather than compression?

Thanks!

Handbrake is lossy compression.

Use MakeMKV for lossless DVD/Blu-ray ripping, if you just want to extract the main title and skip all the menus/trailers/extras.

MakeMKV can also be configured to convert Blu-ray audio to FLAC, though it's probably only worthwhile to do that with PCM discs. TrueHD/DTS-HD don't compress as well as FLAC, but it takes a long time to save 1-2GB.