IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Hi Alex,

Just found out about this. I use a SB Touch as digital transport and even though I have been using a Welborne PSU to power it for quite a while now (which made a very notable difference) I recently found out that its digital coax output is superior to the USB output (EDO). In both cases I'm using the best cables I know (LH Lightspeed USB and Douglas Cables Hair Angel). I can only understand this to be a faulty USB output, especially since Logitech never intended to have the USB output to actually be used that way. In light of this situation I have two questions:

1) do you think that your Regen will help me help surpass the digital output of the SBT (I have heard from friends that either using a USB>Coax converter was better than direct coax output and that computer USB out had similar results)? Would that mean I could use the Welborne to power the Regen and leave the SBT with the normal Walwart?

2) I was actually moving to my ethernet input on my Cantata, since Resolution Audio finally got it to play gapless. Still, at the moment, the digital output of my SBT is superior to using my netgear router or switch with BJC Cat 6A ethernet cable. I'm starting to think of doing an ethernet cable comparison in the line of my usb cable comparison thread, since I have already established that different cables sound different (please don't call me crazy, but they really do). I just haven't had the chance to compare the usual suspects against the "audiophile" cables from AQ, SR, etc. out there. Do you have something similar to the Regen for ethernet?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards

Andre

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Take a look at this post in the Network isolation thread

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/index7.html#post401825

since this post, 2 other CA members have reported similar results with optical isolation of the LAN using similar equipment.

Hi EuroDriver,

Thanks for pointing me to this. I'll read through it and will probably come back with questions. At the moment the main question is if you think if it will make sense in my setup which is as follows:

PC (Minimserver)>Wireless Ethernet Switch (Netgear WNCE4004) . . . . Wireless Router (Netgear R4500)>Ethernet DAC (Resolution Audio Cantata)

The distance between the Router and the DAC is merely a meter. Have also played with changing the oem wall wart of the Wireless Switch and Router?

Hi Andre,

I have extensive experience with the SBT, all outputs, my experience shows that the USB output is one of the better ones out there. I definitely do not see it as broken in any way. Different DACs have different input receivers for both USB and S/PDIF which can lead to different SQ between SBT outputs for different DACs.

I have heard significant improvements with the regen on every DAC I have tried it with so there is a good chance it will also improve things with yours. Whether that will make the USB input on your DAC sound better than the S/PDIF input, I have no idea, that is very DAC dependent.

John S.

Hi John,

Thanks for the answer. BTW, great admirer of your work in the past. Didn't know you were working with this now.

The SBT was surprisingly inferior to the USB async input on my DAC. It was so unexpected that it took me about two years and a nudge from a friend to give it a fair shot. He has the same DAC and was using the SBT as a digital transport, too. He mentioned that the SBT digital coax output sounded better. He then changed to a notebook using the same USB cable that I use (albeit with split input) and said that it was clearly superior than the SBT coax output.

Another friend who uses the SBT as a digital transport tested using its digital coax output vs. using USB output to a USB-Coax converter (Wavelength), stating that the latter was better than the former. This was not with the DAC that I have, but shows that the digital output of the SBT was bettered using that path. Taking these two situations from people I know and respect my assumption was that the SBT USB output was "noisy" and inferior.

Maybe I'm missing something here, so I'd love to have your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

EuroDriver

I see your point.

At the moment I have a Roku, Oppo, SBT and the Cable Modem from TWC connected to the router, apart from my DAC. I'm probably going to bring the router back to the office and put the wireless switch in its place, but that would only eliminate the TWC cable modem from the equation.

I'm using the Netgear's original power supply. Any suggestions in regards to where I could get a good LPS wall wart?

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Thats a lot of gear hooked into the Netgear ! I would definitely try inserting a pair of FMC's between the Netgear and the Cantata.

this LPS at Amazon looks quite similar to the €11 Euro wall wart that worked well for us

Amazon.com: UNIVERSAL AC DC ADAPTER ADAPTOR SONY 500mA 1.5 to 12 V: Electronics

just for fun next month, I will try out the Uptone JS-2 powering the FMC to see if there is an audible difference from the € 11 Euro wall wart

I'm going to look into the LPS first, just to see if it makes a difference. The one you referenced on Amazon only has 0.5A output and I'd need 1A with 12V. Do you think this one would work?

Best regards

That is an unregulated supply. Just a transformer, diodes, and a small filter cap. Not what you could call a "clean" PS at all.

Hi Alex,

What would be your suggestion be. It'd be for the wireless switch.

Thanks I'm advance

André

A JS-2 of course! LOL

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't recommend a $925 PSU for a wireless switch.

André: I recommend one of the 25W Mean Well SMPS, from the GS25 series. Can be GS25A (table-top) or GS25U (wall-mount, USA plug; GS25E is Euro plug). They are quite well-made and sound fine, even for an audio component. Tried one on the Geek Pulse DAC as an upgrade to the $3 wart it came with. Was no JS-2, but it was much better than the stock one. They are only about $14. Definitely go for the higher wattage versions. Jameco stocks Mean Well.

I posted a long screed about my hunt for an inexpensive PS to include with the REGEN as a reply to an off-topic challenge about it from "fmak" here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-comparisons-14397/index34.html#post405459

Alex,

Thank you very much. I saw that post, but didn't actually read it, since I hadn't understood that there would be value in looking through all that information at that time. Now I see that I should have. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Are these Mean Well ones that you referred to switching power supplies?

Quite true! Please don't waste JS-2 outputs on a wireless switch! (though who knows?)

DACs, USB>S/PDIF converters, the REGEN, a headphone amp, a computer, an SSD are the descending priority order I recommend for our supply. The computer stuff is almost "slumming it" for a JS-2 (though it sounds great there an stands up to the competition constantly on computers), but not that many high-end DACs run off an external +DC voltage.

The Metric Halo ULN-8 and the exaSound DACs are two notable exceptions that come to mind because of the six units shipping this next week, one is going to a Metric Halo owner and two are going to exaSound DAC owners (Eurodriver/Edward being one of them). The "goodness" of a JS-2 and its various design choices really shine with DACs and audio components.

Now there is a fellow here from France that has bought 4(!) JS-2s (one he sold to a friend), and another from Canada who owns 2. But frankly with the flood of new orders these last 3 weeks, if someone asked to buy more than one JS-2 I might be inclined to turn then away until I can boost monthly output past my current dozen or so. (I am actively trying to hire a local part-time person to train for assembly).

What kind of DACs? Is it only for DACs that have that kind of input? This is just curiosity, since I'm guessing my DAC doesn't fall into the category that are powerd by external PS, but I did once have a DAC that had one, the Camelot Uther.

Yes, they are SMPS. Mean Well makes some of the best switchers--unless you want to spend $150, and then you should look at small linears. But I have not been able to find quality tabletop regulated LPS units at low cost--at least not in the output voltage range I was looking (there is a bit more on offer at 12V).

Your Resolution Cantata already has several carefully done power supplies built in. Jeff Kalt is a friend and a sharp guy. He has done a wonderful job with that product. I wish the Cantata would get the wider recognition it deserves. I assume that you are still very happy with yours?

Best,

ALEX

Thanks. Got it.

Yes, I really love my Cantata. It's a very well-thought-out and versatile source that sounds even more gorgeous than its looks, which are already something to behold. I guess that once I tweak everything around the ethernet input it'll play as well as it does through the coax with my SBT (with Welborne LPS) as transport. At the moment I feel no urge to change my source whatsoever. Thanks again for the advice.

BTW, audio.de lists it as the runner-up as a source. That's pretty high praise from a mainstream point of view, at least for those who take the lists seriously.

Best regards

Andre

André: How come you don't use the USB input of your Cantata instead of the S/PDIF? Do you not have the mod for USB from the Squeezebox Touch?

Also, have you ever tried Jeff's Pont Neuf USB>Ethernet adapter?

Cheers,

ALEX

Hi Alex,

I wrote you here and John answered here and I tried to explain here. I now just saw that the following sentence was incorrect, but unfortunately I can't edit it, so here goes. It should have read:

"The SBT USB async output was surprisingly inferior to the digital coax output."

If you would be so kind and point this out to him, since with this error my paragraph was completely non-sensical. What I meant to say is that through the experiences of these two colleagues and my own I'm led to believe that the USB output on the SBT is a problem. Having ethernet finally doing gapless playback I have an option that let's me bypass the whole digital transport thing altogether.

I haven't tried the pont neuf, since now it isn't necessary anymore. Now ethernet over UPnP actually works, which it didn't in the beginning.

I'd love to have your input on this.

Best regards

André

• 3 weeks later...
Hm would this be another potential power source for the Regen?

Accessory – iPower

curious in regards to price

I'm also on the list for one. :)

Hi Gang:

Spent all day working on the web site. Will take it live in a couple of days and will start accepting REGEN orders (the site will take orders for the other products too :)).

Just a reminder, I HAVE NOT BEEN KEEPING TRACK of who has said they want one from the first hundred. THERE IS NO LIST YET! The only list is a mailing list. That is how everyone will get the announcement of the ordering site simultaneously. You will each have go to the site and enter your order, address, and payment (credit card or PayPal).

You guys are all great and I appreciate your patience. All the boards and other goodies are in house now. The only thing missing are the milled/printed aluminum cases from Japan. Those will arrive next week. So I think we are on track to start shipping about the April 15th--right on schedule.

Ciao,

--Alex

Alex,

As long as I'm on the "list", I'm good. :D:)

• 2 weeks later...

So the one item that I am interested in trying with the REGEN is the Corning USB cable, since:

a) that does galvanically isolate;

b) the REGEN will disconnect/ignore the Corning's low amperage, copper wire VBUS;

c) the lesser quality clocking/signal of the Corning's own hub/transceiver chip (there is one in there, certainly at the receiving end--it is just tiny and specialized as an optical receiver>USB PHY) is replaced by the REGEN's own signal generation.

Now I get it. Just might re-buy the Corning out of curiosity, depending on the results I'll get with the Lightspeed + REGEN.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, Shipping notification arrived today! ☺

Pity that I will be traveling next week, but intend to listen to it when I get back.

Really curious if it will make me go back to using the USB connection. It'll be up against the ethernet input which now sounds great with FMCs.

Happy to get a last one from that batch. ?

I just might get a corning again to compare it to the Lightspeed.

Alex,

My goodness!!! Does it make that much of a difference???

I just published my take on the REGEN and only now do I find out about this??? WHEN can I have it again? :D

Congrats on making a great product better. Will e-mail you to get more details.

Best regards

André

Thanks André, but please read the post about upgrading: NO E-MAILS PLEASE.

oops. sorry. didn't read that bit. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't been able to keep up with the whole thread so one quick question: when do the upgrades to the REGEN green ship? ?

Some will go out next week.

Just a reminder for owners of REGENs with green LEDs (the first 95 units--all eligible for $45, postage-included "amber" board upgrade kit where you get to keep the old board):

Please reread the bottom section of this blog post: USB REGEN updated. Amazing bass! All unshipped orders will be the late – UpTone Audio for instructions on how to properly order an upgrade kit (such that I don't end up with a massive headache and regret doing this sweet subsidized deal).

The only time you need to actually e-mail me is if you want the upgrade kit mailed to a different address than the one we originally shipped your early REGEN to.

Thanks much,

ALEX

Thanks Alex. Am awaiting eagerly! Interested to find out if the amber will make usb cables practically nonsensical.

Ever tried fly your loved one from Odessa, Ukraine to Vienna (tickets, visas, hotel, etc.) for Keith Jarrett solo concert which was cancelled because Keith was not in a mood to play that particular evening?

wow!

I won't email you, Alex. ?

About 30 "amber" upgrades this week and all the rest about the 29th.

Last night I went through the master list of 95 original REGEN "green" owners and my PayPal-notice mailbox checking off those who have paid for the upgrade kit. Was using a green highlighter pen--and it ran out before I could finish! It's crazy (well not so much give the benefit and the deal), all but 3 of you are upgrading. That is unusually high for a paid upgrade adoption rate. But then, the REGEN is an unusual product that real delivers sonically across all scale of systems.

Thanks everyone!

Now if you will excuse me, I have a late night date with ShipStation and 160 shipping labels and packing lists to print. Shipping two full days ahead of the promised date! ;)

--Alex

oh, how great it would be.... ;)

Hallelujah! REGEN Amber upgrade shipping notification.

appreciate it, Alex

• 5 weeks later...
No, but one discussing isolation transformers would be interesting to me. I use two smallish 1:1 transformers for my front end gear, and their secondaries are not grounded. Also of interest to me are the Equi-Tech balanced transformers which as far as I understand are just 1:1 trannys with a grounded center tap. Is that right?

Just got myself an equitech. Jury is still out on that one. Does a lot of things right, but I really want to try plugging my amp directly into the outlet. I do feel that I lost some texture and colour. Unfortunately I don't have a power chord that can make it to the outlet without going through the equitech. Let's see how this goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Just about to compare stock Regen PSU against recently acquired HDPlex 200W LPSU. Would this be the right place to post my findings?