IGNORED

New Mac Mini setup

Hi Guys,

I am new here, so sorry to post a newbie questions.

I am looking to replace my existing PC based music server with a Mac based solution. I have brought a new Mac Mini and plan to use iTunes a control it via a iPhone.

Where I need help is with getting the sound into my existing NAD amp. I have read various posts on using a Firewire external sound card, but most of these seem to suggest something that is fit for a recording studio, not just for output. I have also read that some people recommend using the optical digital outputs of the Mini, but I really am not sure which way to go. Ideally I would like to spend less than ~$350 on a solution.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

- Ashby

Your best bet is to add a DAC, either connected via USB or FireWire or to the optical port.

Good sounding devices around your price range include...

Musical Fidelity V-DAC

Cambridge Audio DACMagic

Beresford DAC

all best connected via optical, though the first two (and versions of the Beresford) can also be connected via USB.

FireWire: at the price range probably best looking at the Apogee Duet.

I'm assuming your NAD is a stereo amp not an AV amp?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"I have read various posts on using a Firewire external sound card, but most of these seem to suggest something that is fit for a recording studio, not just for output"

Like Eloise, I'd recommend that you strongly consider the Apogee Duet.

as for being 'fit for a recording studio', well, that's due to 'audiophile' companies not really having the interest/expertise to manufacture Firewire DACs, by and large. Weiss is an exception. OTOH, the extra functionality on the prosumer recording devices is mostly a wash, if you're concerned about paying for features you dont need, as pro audio has very different (read slim) profit margins than audiophile gear.

clay