IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline

Chris-

This looks like a great user friendly configuration for an audio PC. I think the "headless" feature will be very convenient for a lot of us.

Did you try using the server with both internal and external drives for the music library? Any difference in SQ under the 2 scenarios? If you didn't try an internal drive, have you made this comparison in the past?

Have you compared the sound using the linear supply to the Black Lightning you used on the V3 (even switching them out on the V3)? I know you were wowed by the difference the BL made on the V3, just wonder if this linear supply yields similar results.

Thanks again

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have some confusion about how to use this in addition to the Cortes. I built the last iteration of this Caps sever and use it currently. Am very happy with it, thank your for the work you did to come up with the specs. You state you are running Windows with Jriver on the Cortes. You are running JRiver on this Pipleline Server as well. This has me confused. Which version of these multiple Jriver controls everything?

I understand your arguments of the benefit of the Cortes over traditional nas.

What is confusing me is your discussion of having Jriver on the Cortes machine with the music along with another instance running on the Pipeline which connects to the DAC. What I don't grasp is which instance of JRiver do I use? I don't want multiple instances of playlists etc... I do not understand how to integrate all of it.

Hope my question makes sense.

+1 same question

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

They are using the 840 Pro, but I'm sure they would build one with the 850 if you ask

Looks like a yes:

Chris Connaker CAPS Computer Audiophile

On the ssd, I hope Small Green intends to use the Samsung 850 Pro, not the 840 Pro.

A very rough estimate of what it would cost me to build this myself came to @ $2,200.00, but I need to check it more closely.

Thanks Chris and Small Green Computer. And JRiver for sponsorship

Chris-

Any SQ advantage one way or the other? I'm sure there are Zuma owners who'd like to know/

It's not designed only for audio playback. It's designed to also do pretty intensive tasks such as upsampling on the fly and DRC.

Nice build but i think the cpu power is a waste for only music playback. Streacom recommend only a 65W cpu for permanent use. Have you noticed any problems with the cpu getting too hot?

greetings nu

• 7 months later...

Regarding Windows 10: is microsoft not giving the free upgrade to these servers b/c of the Xeon board?

I can't get MS to let me "apply" for a free upgrade to Windows 10 from my Pipeline machine.

Found a workaround:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You can download and install,or make an iso disc or stick

• 1 month later...
Hullo:

At this stage I am pondering future server options for my home audio system. I am beginning to think about moving on at some point from my MacMini 2010 SSD/Amarra/Berkeley USB server over the next 6-12 months. I Basically only playback 16/44 files from my CDs but would like eventually to do more streaming with TIDAL/QOBUZ or something. My goal is best SQ in my two-channel set up first, ease of use second, and cost is not unimportant of course. I have experience with QOBUZ streaming but find I don't use it as much because of loss of SQ so I am giving it up for now.

Here are the options I have thought of so far:

1. one of the CA CAPS options, perhaps this one (V4) which seems to be the top one as best I can tell

2. stay with my MacMini adding in Uptone's fan control and Linear Power Supply JS-2 (I already use their Regen which is wonderful, even more so when I stick a Synergistic ECT on top).

3. Raspberry Pi-2 with Moode software for MPD (as described on Part-Time Audiophile), with JS-2 or another good LPS. I like this low cost quasi-DIY idea at least in theory as it would allow me to experiment with higher quality parts and adjustments/tweaks over time.

4. Sonore Signature Rendu (expensive, recommended by someone who should know, but haven't done any research myself)

5. Auralic Aries (more affordable than Sonore, but according to PTA not necessarily better than the RPI-2)

Would appreciate any ideas/pointers that any of you might suggest about the choices I am already thinking of, or of course about other things not yet on my radar.

Thanks in advance...

If you are just playing back music files, and not doing DSP, Room Correction, or upsampling on the fly, you don't need a high powered computer. One of the simpler CAPS v4 devices will be fine.

You should also look up the micro Rendu due out sometime next year. Might be just what you need, for less.

• 3 months later...
I was shocked today on reading Music in the Round #68 Page 2 | Stereophile.com, finding out that the CAPS 4 was sold under an own brand Baetis Audio XR2 Media Server . It's obvious that these guys just helped themselves into the CAPS 4 specification.

They did not seem to cite the source, which is here. Really unfair for Chris

Not really sure how you got to that conclusion. It isn't exactly the same as a CAPS specification. There are many similar fanless servers being sold by other vendors. Maybe they should be complaining that Chris stole their specification :).

And in any case the big selling point of the Baetis PCs is the proprietary SPDIF outlet they build into each unit, and the personal live/online support they give buyers. Otherwise they are very similar to fanless PCs available elsewhere.

CAPS v.4 Pipeline is more than a year old. Is there an update planned?

yes, CAPS v.5...

• 1 year later...

I made mine with a slightly different board, the  MBD-X10SAE-O, but it has the same chipset. It works fine with Windows 10, so if there is an issue, it might be elsewhere. 

You might want to ask Supermicro. 

Does this help:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/46652/Server-Chipsets

but can you run W10?