IGNORED

General Sony HAPZ1ES Issues

Hello -

Attempting to start a new thread for those of us with the Sony HAPZ1ES to help try and solve issues we might encounter.

Overall I am happy with the unit, but I have run into a pesky problem. When transferring files with the HAP software or just a direct transfer to the unit, the transfer completes but some of the songs within an album show a time of 00:00.

This results in the HAP not wanting to play them, but when playing from the file system on the computer they do play and show complete metadata.

If anyone has encountered this and has a resolution that would be much appreciated. Right now I am leaning to it being related to multiple file transfers at the same time. At first I thought it might be related to not using HAP for the transfers. Also rescanning the internal HD it does not resolve the problem. Once a file shows as 00:00 for the playback time in the HAP software I have not been able to fix it even by deleting and transferring the album or file individually.

Thanks -

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

Looks like others (including me) have not had that problem... Is it always the same files that do this? What format are the files? How many files total? Have you confirmed the files' metadata with a 3rd party program? OSX or Win?

I have an external drive with 25,000 tracks.

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

Hi Regnad -

Yes it is weird. Here are some answers to your questions:

1. No it is not always the same files. Very random. In fact I can transfer it once, delete it from the HAPZ1ES and retransfer and it will be different tracks.

2. It is never just one when the problem occurs.

3. MAC or PC. Tried both.

4. Tried the HAP application and manual transfer - no difference.

5. Small number of files. < 200. Just started the process.

6. Yes. Confirmed metadata with Tag and Rename in windows and Tag in OS X.

7. files ripped with dbPoweramp and XLD.

I do think metadata is the key. I had some previously ripped files than when attempting to save new metadata told me they had an offset chunk problem and would not save the new info. This got me to thinking about file types AIFF vs. FLAC vs ALAC.

Since I am just staring the process I reset the HAPZ1ES - re-ripped several of the CD's as FLAC rather than AIFF in dbPoweramp with no compression and each of these resulted in no problems on the HAPZ1ES. Everything appeared as expected.

So perhaps there is something about AIFF and the metadata it supports or how it is edited. I was under the impression that AIFF did support some degree of metadata. For example, my artwork is saved as PNG and this is what I am saving in the file. I am going to try a few more tonight and see what happens.

As aways - any input is appreciated.

Richard

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

I use dbPoweramp for ripping CDs to AIFF and editing tags. I also have many DSF rips for which I use the Sony app to edit the metadata after transferring them via drag/drop.

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a problem when deleting tracks from a playlist. It removes the file just above the one I am deleting...

Curious if anyone else has seen this? Thanks.

Looks like others (including me) have not had that problem... Is it always the same files that do this? What format are the files? How many files total? Have you confirmed the files' metadata with a 3rd party program? OSX or Win?

I have an external drive with 25,000 tracks.

How does your external drive perform with the HAP server?

I'm still using the Internal Drive with mine and am having fine results. But I anticipate adding an external drive down the road - especially given the ever dropping prices at Best Buy! :)

How does your external drive perform with the HAP server?

No issues with external WD 4GB drive using 1.8TB of 3.6TB available

• 3 months later...

I am having problems with the HDD Audio remote app. Several of the albums on my HAP Z1 ES, do not appear on the remote app. I have tried re-syncing the app, but this does not fix the problem. I can start the album from the HAP Z1 ES, and it shows as currently playing on the remote app, but the rest of the album does not appear.

Sony HAP Z1ES, Portal Panache Integrated, Penaudio Rebel2+Chara, Grado HF-1, Nottingham Horizon TT, Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD