IGNORED

Arrgggh....Help....:-(

Hi folks...

My Mac Mini connects to the 'net wirelessly through a BT router...no problems, no issues...

It shows as BTHomeHub-225 in the Wireless settings...

I now have a brand spanking new Airport Express, which I had hoped would connect to my audio system and stream iTunes to it...

It does...using an entirely different named network...

But....

When streaming music, I lose my internet connection...and I have to reset my internet router...:-(

Should the AirportExpress be hard wired into my router...?

Hi Douglas

There's certainly been both AirPlay & UPnP/DLNA streaming issues reported when using various models of BT HomeHub, though this is the first time I've seen the internet connection being lost while streaming.

Presumably it's just the internet conection that goes and not the network connection itself (so AirPlay streaming still works, for example)?

Also, can you connect to the internet using another machine, or is it just confined to the Mac Mini (where you've got streaming from iTunes, presumably)?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Douglas

There's certainly been both AirPlay & UPnP/DLNA streaming issues reported when using various models of BT HomeHub, though this is the first time I've seen the internet connection being lost while streaming.

Presumably it's just the internet conection that goes and not the network connection itself (so AirPlay streaming still works, for example)?

Also, can you connect to the internet using another machine, or is it just confined to the Mac Mini (where you've got streaming from iTunes, presumably)?

John

John,

Thanks for the reply...wife's laptop still accesses the internet via the BT router...it's just an issue with my Mac....

I can stream audio from the Mini to my Airport Express but can't access internet at the same time...

Unfortunately, I'm no Mac expert, so my help is going to be rather limited.

What I do know is that the latest versions of OS X are supposed to allow you to set its actual system sound to an external AirPlay 'speaker', rather than having to do it through iTunes. Have you tried doing this and seeing if that makes a difference?

If changing the systems sound output setting to the Airport Express doesn't cause the internet disconnection, then at least it's more likely to be a problem with your iTunes installation, rather than some misbehaviour of the Mac itself.

Hope this helps.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Do you have the AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows

Using this you should be a le to get the Airport Express to join the BT routers network.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well....

Spent 30 minutes on the phone to a BT "Guru" from India (their bill, not mine!) who couldn't assist...

Finally trawled numerous forums and discovered I had to:

1. Change my BT Router from WEP to WPA

2. place a "#" at the start of the setup password for my Airport Express...!!!!

Now I can fire my music onto my audio equipment 15 feet away and still surf the 'net...

Happy Teddy Bear...:-)

1. Change my BT Router from WEP to WPA.

Using WPA is much more secure anyway so using that instead of WEP is a good thing...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.