IGNORED

best Mac laptop as a music server?

If I plan to buy a Mac laptop and only use as a music server (iTunes) and internet radio can you recommend the best to go for irrespective of price (it needs to be a laptop as I am using it in different installations). Also, dim question is there any software that makes the Mac rip a CD faster when doing lossless.

I'd recommend a new 13" Macbook Pro. I'm about to purchase one myself. These have Firewire 800, USB and mini-optical outputs, and can be expanded to 8Gb RAM, along with a fast front-side bus (1066 Mhz) for hi-rez music, and a dual core CPUs of 2Ghz plus.

There's only one (entry level) Macbook model at this point, not worth the cost savings to give up the aluminum uni-body and the 7 hour battery, IMO.

Still debating on buying the Apple-installed SSD, or replace it myself in the future when SSD is a little more sorted out.

clay

I just discovered a great site for comparing the various models of Apple Macbook and Macbook Pros.

It's called Everymac.com

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/differences-between-macbook-pro-13-inch-mid-2009-sd-firewire-800-late-2008-unibody-core-2-duo.html

This page, for example, is a very detailed comparison of the just released (in June) Macbook Pro, with the earlier model Macbook which it replaced (and which you may be able to get at discount).

It's a no brainer for me, as I need Firewire, which the previous model famously did NOT have.

Check it out before deciding on your purchase.

clay

• 4 weeks later...