IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

all Delta-Sigma DAC chips do upsample internally

upsampling in sw, *before* the DAC, is done by some to bypass (or attenuate) the latter filters and, eventually, shape a different one you might like better

oh, and... no: it's not something that *has to be done*! ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Lightning (and Bubble) DS are just control apps: all actual processing is done by the Aries so... unknown.gif

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

you definitely belong to the *rigid* decoupling school :P

headphones system:

headphones system:

same boat here :(

ethernet doesn't work anymore

Aries was playing and suddenly stopped

automatic install of *beta* fw updates is really stupid: I keep my Aries' display off so, maybe, I unplugged it while update was in progress

waiting an answer from support

headphones system:

can't even get there: Lightning DS can't find my Aries :-/

(I was using Roon)

and beta5 was *immediately* revoked :rolleyes:

headphones system:

can you, please, check which beta fw version is installed on your Aries?

headphones system:

in fact, as I wrote, beta5 fw was immediately pulled :-/

btw... what color is, on your Aries, the light beside the ethernet port, orange or green?

headphones system:

Orange. Why do you ask?

same as mine: means it is not working

So, I upgraded to 4.0Beta5, and it's since been revoked. What does that mean for me? How do I "go back"?

let's hope a fix is released soon. still waiting an answer to my email :-/

headphones system:

mine is plugged to ethernet, always has, wi-fi is off, always has, and now... I can't get to it anymore

headphones system:

My only question is if the version has been "revoked" why not activate a software update back to the last latest beta version they are currently choosing to run.

I wasn't automatically updated either. I got the popup saying a new version was available and I took the bait!

I was running Roon, Lightning DS was closed (quit) on both my iPad and iPhone, haven't got any pop-up nor any alert (I run the Aries with display off) or request to update the firmware

it just stopped playing and vanished from my network :-/

so, I guess, new beta was automatically installed :mad:

now I can't even reach my Aries to check what fw is running

headphones system:

There is a problem with the latest beta firmware update. I have 2 Aries units, one is connected by wireless and the other is connected by Ethernet. The wireless one upgraded firmware and runs fine, the one connected by Ethernet upgraded firmware but now cannot connect to the network.

The defunct unit reboots entirely as normal but there is just no way to connect to the network.

mine was connected via ethernet and wi-fi is off

what drives me mad is... I *did not* install any update: if an update was installed (can't reach my Aries and check) it happened automatically without any prompt/notice/alert :mad:

I was playing music from Roon when the Aries suddenly vanished from my network

headphones system:

If the firmware has been withdrawn, there must be a known issue and I'm sure they will be working on it. It is a bit frustrating, but that's the risk of being a beta tester.

yes. just... I can't see how a fix can be applied to a device that does not connect anymore to the network =:-/

hope they do ;)

headphones system:

Unfortunately, it needs a return to manufacturer for a factory reset.

same here :-/

a real big pita!

they definitely need to build into the fw a way to load software updates from a USB key or something

oh, and... hope they also fix auto-updating happening while the Aries is working in RAAT mode

(they do not happpen if the unit is being used from their own app)

:mad:

headphones system:

tried, as they suggested, a reset first but even when I got Aries' wi-fi hotspot to show I couldn't connect to it from my iPad

I guess this firmware broke something there too :-/

at least, as Mr. Wang told me, after this accident they will add *very soon* a feature to load firmware from a USB key

(I thought it was already there. should have been there since the beginning! :rolleyes: )

headphones system:

Just to recap, if you voluntare as a betatester, one could risk to brick the whole unit for return to factory to reset? - really!

I am out of this program for sure until an USB fix becomes available. This is just too risky :(

not really, unless... *the* perfect storm arrives (as it did yesterday)

in my case perfect storm means:

- a new beta was released too early

- there's (was?) a bug that makes the Aries auto-update (no alert/user permission: nothing!) when it's being used in RAAT mode

(the above doesn't happen if it's being used by Lightning DS)

you can safely switch your Aries on and revert (opt-out of beta): the firmware causing all our headaches has been pulled ;)

headphones system:

I will say that despite this being a very bad situation once again Wang has responded in what I think is an exemplary way. I emailed this morning about my Aries being bricked, he responded almost immediately, and they will ship me an Aries from their warehouse on Monday with a shipping label to return mine.

I agree this situation should never have arrived and I'm sure there will be consequences given what I read in the email response but given the situation has arisen, in my eyes at least the response has been great. We're all human and make mistakes, it's how we respond that is more telling!

definitely! :)

headphones system:

UPS collected my Aries today. I just got a message from UPS that the estimated delivery is on august 1th.

same here. hope it's not true but just a temporary glitch in their system =:-/

headphones system:

I only got the Aries to best my dedicated Mac mini after powering it from the same UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS powering the former *and* using both a Regen and Audiophilleo 1 (battery powered) on the USB

now that the Aries is going back to the factory and I'm back to my Mac mini (+Regen + Audiophilleo)... I'm not even sure anymore the Aries (plus all the extras that, thankfully, I already had) is worth keeping :-/

headphones system:

If you haven't used Regen with Aries IMO you haven't heard it at its best.

that plus a great LPS

headphones system:

Hold on though. The µRendu is optimized too and has a REGEN built in...

*and* you are powering yours from a LIO ;)

headphones system:

also... on Roon's forum a (Roon) developer explained that RAAT protocol makes it so the DAC only dictates the pace of incoming data so Aries' femto clocks aren't actually taken into account :-/ ( <- my wording! explanation was more technical :P )

given I'm using my Aries as RAAT device 95% of the time and I'm powering it from a JS-2... "maybe" I could have opted for a LE instead and saved some money, making the whole "thing" more justifiable in terms of investment/return :-(

headphones system:

headphones system:

I truly hope *you* are correct, not Roon's developers ;)

headphones system:

(I just asked Brian, the Roon developer, for clarification).

twothumbs.gif

also Mr. Wang might shed some light on the matter ;)

headphones system: