IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Hi

I just bought a used Aries with Femto clocks and LPS. However, I am in a 240V country and the LPS is on 110V. Does anyone have detailed instructions (read idiot proof as I am totally useless in this regards) on how to convert the LPS to 240V? Step by step with pics if possible please would be much appreciated. Hopefully no soldering is needed.

Also, this may be a silly question and I don't know if it has been answered before. I am using a Macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.8 as the server. It is an older Macbook and cannot be updated OS wise. Minimserver requires a newer OS or at least the versions I can find on their website. So I guess to use an Aries, I will need a newer computer.

I am currently able to run Logitech Media Server on this Macbook. Can I continue to use Logitech Media Server and use the Aries as a bridge/ player ? If so, that would be great as it would save me having to fork out for a new computer on top of an Aries.

Thanks

Hi mikey8811

You've got a couple of options if you want to use the Logitech Media Server on the Macbook with the Aries.

Thanks John

That was really helpful. Would either method compromise the sound quality of the Aries? If so, which one more than the other?

With the latter option, would the Aries then simply be a substitute for the Squeezebox Touch I was using for a player? If so, would it also be subjected to the constant rebuffering I experienced on the Squeezebox Touch?

Thanks again.

Thanks again John

I have LMS 7.7.3 . This is the latest version my Macbook can support. Does it matter?

So once I have selected the UPnPBridge and installed it, I can pretty much use iPeng to control the Aries like a Squeezebox Touch?

With the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface enabled, is it a case then of using Lightning DS to control the Aries?

However, it might be best to stick with what you've got, especially if you are still using the Squeezebox Touch with it. Only try to update it if the UPnPBridge plugin can't be installed or doesn't work. Version 7.8.1 is considered stable and 7.9 is considered to be in beta stage.

My Macbook is a 32 bit one even though it is a Core 2 Duo, it doesn't have the 64 bit kernel or extensions hence the problem with not being able to use Minimserver. This also means I cannot update LMS beyond the version I have now. System Preferences prompts me to update LMS but it doesn't work. I guess I have no choice but to stick with what I have for now.

UPnPBridge plugin was installed ok and I have enabled it but have not run it in "Settings" yet. I'll do so when my Aries gets here. I am guessing that I shouldn't run it and the UPnP / DLNA Media Interface at the same time? Or it doesn't matter and I can do so to AB how both work on the Aries?

Thanks again

The exchange here is great. Thank you. Synchronizing the Aries with the Squeezeboxes? That dream cannot be true, can it?

Yes, all thanks to John (Cebolla). I wonder why Auralic have not cottoned on to promoting the Aries and Aries Mini as a Squeezebox substitute in this manner if as a streamer, the hardware actually offers an improvement over a Squeezebox Touch. Just think of all the Squeezebox Touch users who like LMS and its interface but realise that the Touch itself may be long in the tooth. Now they can get an Auralic in the flavour they want and literally plug and play in their LMS/SBT oriented systems in the true spirit of UPnP. I mean I just stumbled onto it because my Macbook was unable to run Minimserver.

If and when they do, they should pay John for his insights here.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone using the Auralic Aries with Femto clocks and LPS with a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery?

Was wondering if there are any merits to the USB reclocking as the Aries already has built in Femto clocks. My DAC is the Cary DAC 200ts which also has onboard non chip reclocking.

Any experience appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I was suffering through massive pops when playing DSD through the Aries via wireless. They were so bad that the protection circuits in my preamp and amp were tripped. Not good.

The issue went away when I switched to wired ethernet.

It turns out that the Aries wasn't picking up the wireless signal from the Airport Express in my listening room. It chose instead to connect to the Airport Extreme downstairs, so the signal was weak.

The massive pops were due to choppy playback of DSD, something the Aries doesn't handle well at all. I reported this to Auralic, but they didn't seem interested in solving the popping problem. They focused only on my connectivity issues.

Another one down against the Aries. If I were to go wired - which is with great difficulty, no ethernet ports in my listening room - I would just get a microRendu.

Recently, since the last update, the Aries is constantly "Refreshing Library Information" and my library is gone. I need to manually refresh cache for it to reappear. It didn't use to happen. So far like you say, Auralic is good for laying the blame on "other" issues in the setup. The network, running of SMB attached USB drives, etc.

Mr. Wang is good at returning emails but promised features are just that and always in the pipeline. If they do not fix existing issues, I don't think i'll be hanging around much longer.

The iPad that controlled the Aries roamed the house, so three routers ensured a good signal throughout.

I could have made it work with the Aries, but shortly thereafter discovered that I got a significant upgrade with optical fiber.

Did you rewire and get ethernet outlets installed or get a powerline or wireless bridge/ access point solution from which the ethernet went to your Aries?

• 2 weeks later...

For those here still using the Aries (who have not moved on to the microRendu yet)

Current Beta Version: 4.0.Beta3 (Released on 24th June 2016)

New Features since Version 3.3:

• Proud to introduce Lightning playback engine V2.
  • Introducing bit-perfect Group Play up to DXD and DSD256. To create a group, open device list on iPad side bar, press and hold the device that you want it to be master, then select 'Create Zone'. Please press '...' icon on iPhone for same operation.
  • Introducing Memory Cache. Memory Cache feature will pre-load track into device memory (not SSD!) to achieve better sound quality, it also helps to improve streaming stability. Memory Cache size for ARIES/ARIES LE: 512MB; ARIES MINI: 64MB. Memory Cache function does not work under Internet Radio, AirPlay, Songcast, Bluetooth and Roon input method because of the data is streamed in real time from host device.
  • Now supports multi-channel PCM and DSD files as well as multi channel USB DAC. We can output 5.1 surrounding track into a 6 channel USB DAC or the FL, FR only to a 2 channel device. This also resolve the compatibility problem with USB DAC contains more than 2 channel, like ARK MX+, NAD M51.
  • Adding 'Buffering' playback status, (currently only work on iPhone version).
  • Report current playing's file type in Lightning DS.
  • Add DAC output phase, channel balance and ARIES MINI LED brightness adjustment (Request LDS 3.1 to work).

Fixes since Version 3.3:

• Unable to write USB drive content through SMB share if the USB drive is in exFAT format.
  • Device been unmuted after sampling rate changed (ARIES MINI)
  • Fix bug related to 'Add Next' function
  • Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

Improvement since Version 3.3:

• (Dramatic) Sound quality improvement when play music through Lightning DS or other uPnP control software. (No sound quality change under Internet Radio, AirPlay, Songcast, Bluetooth and Roon input method because of the data is streamed in real time from host device).

Known Issues:

• Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.

It would be interesting to see if the self proclaimed "dramatic" sonic improvements from memory caching playback which is RAM based and not disk based like Aurender actually play out as claimed.

I've tried out the beta firmware now.

In my system it's more open sounding and smoother. Musical lines are easier to follow, the flow is better as a result and there's more air around the instruments. It's a good improvement but I wouldn't call it dramatic like the blurb says.

No problems wiith hi res PCM at all. Didn't try DSD.

Something that I never figured out and don't know if it's important. Under "Available Inputs", I have AirPlay and Roon ticked or on. I don't use either. Does it make a difference if they are on or off?

Also, what is DAC Delay and what should the time setting be for that if it is turned on?

It would be interesting to see a comparison with the microRendu.

Doak

OK.

With your comment re. HQ Player being the game changer, I am wondering if hanging onto the Aries might not be such a bad idea to see what their NAA implementation will be like since the Aries has a more powerful processor chip inside than the microRendu, although the processing will be done on another computer.

I tried Beta 4.04. It is better. It seems fuller and richer in the midrange but everything else is there as well. I didn't find it edgy or digital unlike a previous poster. Rather it was smoother. I didn't find it darker either. Maybe that was a side effect of the fuller midrange but it also seemed more open sounding. Vocals had a pleasing effect with good bloom. Perhaps it was getting acclimatised to it but overall the update makes quite a decent difference.

I haven't heard the microRendu and await the comparison of others but from this, one should not discount the ol' Aries as yet, especially if NAA is on the cards.

There is also a Beta update for the iOS app but it feels largely the same.

Doak

Thanks for the feedback and the comparison.

It feels like I may keep the Aries until the NAA for HQ Player is incorporated to see what that is like.

I did like the Beta 4.04 but didn't know how it would compare with the microRendu as I do not have one.

I concur on the bass - good slam but tight - and also found the full midrange pleasing perhaps from a midbass spillover.