IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Hello to all Audiophiles!

I'm a recented Aries adopter (I bought the full spec version) coming from a Squeezebox Touch (modded with all the firmware and 3rd party apps available - and 24/192 output - and a special power supply) and a TEAC UD501 dac, that I still use.

I also use a Zyxel NSA 325 NAS with one WD 3T RED hard drive, full with good music files - from red book quality all the way up to a couple of DSD files.

Apart from the Logitech Media Server 7.7.3 the the Zyxel Media Server (automaticly instaled with the NAS setup)

To the SBT users: the Aries improved the sound a lot, almost making the SBT sound like a toy. And it has the same stability of the SBT. So, I recommended with no reserves!

The bottom line is: with the last firmware update the Aries is working perfectly in OpenHome DS using the Zyxel Media Server, permiting the use of the Lightning DS app or the Lumin App.

It is good to know that it can work without the Minimserver and the associated complicated setup proceedures.

The Zyxel is even one of the best valueed NAS on the market, cheap and powerfull.

Everything is working without any troubles, so congratulations to the Auralic team :)

Hello,

i don't know with you but i find the new firmware regarding SQ not better, even worse on some aspects than previous one on my system.

I explain: i find the sound thinner and slightly brillant/clearer to compare to the previous fimware. Soudstage is also flatter (less 3D). On another hand, i find the sound of notes lasts longer and goes more far with the news firmware.

I precise that with the FW upgrade, i have moved my external HDD from my remote upnp server to a direct usb plug.

Some say that real time kernel is not convenient for audio purpose because of CPU need more important, i don't know what to think about this.

I bought my Aries (full spec) a week before it automatically updated the firmware to the last version. So I only had the chance to listen for a short period but I agree with Fabian44 about SQ... Not an improvement: less body on the instruments and voices, less depth on the sonic picture and somewhat thinner highs.

I wish we could go back or had the chance to tune the sound of the Aries...

• 1 month later...
...Upgraded from Squeezebox Touch , I just bought Aries yesterday and I want to run it with my Teac UD501 DAC.

Can anyone recommend any Aries-Teac config? What sounds better in your system, coaxial, optical or USB connection?

hello Koso

I had and have the same gear :)

I experienced coaxial and USB (both cables from the Atlas brand) and because of all the Aries firmware chances in sound quality its hard (and time consuming) to notice any diferences. I keep using USB, also to used the DSD capacity of the Teac.

The Aries is a giant leap from the enjoyable Squeezebox Touch (even with EDO 3rd party app) and has an amazing sinergy with the UD-501.

best regards

• 1 year later...
As you already noticed there are people prefering Wyred4Sound Recovery to USB Regen. What you´ll need to know before you descide is that there are advantages/disadvantages with both of them.

IMO the best USB cable is an unshielded 3-wire USB cable with detachable GND wire (after DAC handshake). This USB cable can only be bought special made by request (Elijah Audio, Curious cable etc) or if you are a handy guy=DIY. A problem with W4S Recovery is that it needs to see 5v (but do isolate the 5v & use femto clocking). Regen does´nt need to see 5v and can be used with a 3-wire USB cable without problem and without adding a separate USB LPS/BPS in the line. If you want to follow the route to use no 5v and no GND after DAC handshake you have no other option than Regen of the two. If you prefer to use shielded store cables WS4 Recovery is for sure a great choice but you will loose out the real benifits of cutting off 5v and GND. If you want to explore the path of unshielded data only USB cables I would recommend Regen. Personally I am pretty sure that no one that have listen to usnhielded data only USB cables will ever change back. However, it is your choise. Choose the best option for you...and choose wisely! ;)

Oh...one more thing. Before you descide you will need to check if your DAC needs to see 5v or not.

Great tip! I have no DIY skills so where I can get a unshielded data only USB cable?

• 7 months later...

I am a Aries Femto user and all my questions are about future updates for the existing model... meaning: will the more advanced new model will benefit from features that this current version can take advantage of?

I am very happy with the cost / sound quality of my Aries... but the new looks way better.

• 4 months later...
On 30/09/2017 at 2:16 PM, George Hincapie said:

The current Beta is fine if you wanted to try that TBH.

I thought much about it but after reading so many reporting failures with the beta I am very hesitant. A great number of the beta testers went back to the 4.1.0.

To be fully honest I am scared that it leads also to a hardware fault even when I go back to the current firmware... 

And with so many newcomers to the business I think that Auralic has to speed up a bit with the reliability problems. But on the other hand the beta versions are free and at users risk.

The current 4.1.0. offers so much (for the sensible price that costed) and is working great without problems. The LDS app has showned the Auralic capacity of resolving problems, since it went from a problematic app to a reality enjoyable and stable interface.

That said, I admit that I love my Aries Femto and the customer service thru this forum is amazing, connecting the users (between them) and brand the designers and engineers, solving problems in a daily basis. For me it is still the streamer to recommend and the free updates of firmware are one of the stronger points.

2 hours ago, mjb said:

I'm using an Aries, firmware 4.1, and iOS 11 - it's as stable as ever, no unusual issues to report.

As I've posted here before, I had absolutely no luck at all with FW 5.X, and believe me I tried. I reverted to 4.1 after a few days of total frustration. It's been OK ever since.

LDS: I wish Auralic would add a few more options, like "Ignore 'the' " as most of my music is found under T! (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, etc). Otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with the experience.

On a "I wish" topic:

- I wish that the front panel of the Aries could be more usefull.

- And the remote more responsive (my Naim gear has that kind of remote that you can point to everywhere)

- As for the LDS, it could have a better search engine... specially outside the  Lightning Server.

(I never been partial on the looks and the gray metalic plastic color, but there is no point of talking about this now. The new G2 has gone thru the right path)

10 hours ago, raudio said:

I'm looking for any feedback on using a wifi range extender with the Aries.  Specifically, I'm thinking about a TP-Link E500 with ethernet jack to hardwire the Aries to solve problems I have running it wireless in my setup.  When I run it direct to my router it works fine but I can't leave it this because the cable is strewn through the house.

I have a configuration similar to your description, using the TP-Link TL WA 830 RE range extender.

It works great but sometimes I need to unplug the TP-Link power supply to force a reset because it seems to block the signal to the Aries and the Ipad. Luckly it always goes to the predefinitions automaticly.

Setting up the range extender with the router, also from TP-Link could the a pain... but for the low price I recommend that I try it.

45 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

My Aries is 3,5 years old now and I have doubts it doesn't sound as good as it used to. It is a small computer after all and computers tend to get slow, glitchy and erratic as they age. I need to restart it twice a day, sometime it freezes when my fridge goes on (maybe due to beta firmware ). What is the expected lifespan of CA products like this anyway?

Do you tried go back to the 4.1.0 firmware to see if all that still happens? 

• 1 month later...

Today I instaled the beta 5.2 firmware on the Aries Femto and although I haven’t listen enough to draw a conclusion about sound quality everything is running ok.

My TEAC UD 501 dac shows the high sample rates of the “masters” files on Tidal, and the Lightnind DS shows the MQA logo... but are am I getting better sq as before with fw 4.1?...

Does someone have some conclusions?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Guido Del Giudice said:

Has anyone tried an SBooster BOTW 15-16V LPS with an Aries Femto and compared it to the supplied Aries LPS?

No, but I have a Sbooster BOTW in my Uptone Audio Regen connected to the Teac UD 501 Dac, and I think it performes very well.

I have use this Sbooster on the Squeezebox Touch with amazing results so I didn't sell it figuring that someday I would use it again.

I have though about upgrading the LPS but in the end my choice was the Uptone Regen and USB mini-cable (on the dac) and Audioquest Jitterbug (on the Aries Femto) and connecting both with Audioquest Carbon USB cable.... great sound!