IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Nothing seems to work as suggested above. I have hit the reset button a dozen times. It connects wired only and as soon as I try to connect wireless, I lose the connection between Aries and lightening app. Frustrating to say the least. I wish Aurilac gave us the choice to update firmware! I was disappointed with the sonics of the last firmware, and wished I could have reverted back. Now with the latest firmware downloaded automatically today my Aries is screwed up!

Holy Smokes! I patiently followed the above posts to a tee and still lose the connection between the Aries and Lightening app everytime ...it's like Groundhog's Day the movie!

i really hope that I don't have a bricked unit as well...

if you think you have a solution and can walk me through this, I'd appreciate it.

Tim

1. Wireless connection, iPad on same connection w/ lightening DS.

2.router supports 802.11n, 5Ghz, Aries and iPad on same network.

3. Usb drive no nas

OK, a few more questions to try and help.

1. If you use a wired connection to the Aries, then everything works between the Aries, and I assume an iPad running the Lightning DS software, is that correct?

2. If yes, then what kind of router do you have? Does it support 802.11n? Does it allow you to create a 5Ghz network? Are the Aries and the iPad on the same wireless network?

3. Are you using a USB drive attached to the Aries, or connecting it to a NAS?

Everything has worked fine for me prior to the update. Same names on the 5g band.

what happens over and over and over again:

The Aries shows wifi icon on front, I go into iPad settings and select Aries under wifi, then go into Lightening app and my Aries is discovered. I then click wireless in Lightening app and as soon as I pick my wireless router's 5g signal and type in password, I lose the connection between Aries and lightening! What am I doing wrong!?

Ok, so you have both the Aries and the iPad on an 802.11b network using the 5GHZ band as opposed to the 2GHZ band. Do you have the same name or different names for each band? I don't know if you have a Mac or PC, but you might try installing the Linn Kinsky application and see if it sees the Aries and your music library.

Has the USB drive worked previously for you, in particular the one that is currently plugged into the Aries?

I cannot recollect is but wiring the Aries via ethernet even an option for you?

I am using a Netgear 27 router. I only have one. As long as I have the Aries chosen as my wifi source in iPad settings, I can quit lightening and re- open it and it sees the Aries. As soon as I choose the Netgear 5g in lightening and type the password, I lose connection with LDS.

What router are you using, an Apple Extreme? And do you have just one router or more?

Also after you pick the wireless network and enter the password I understand you lose the connection to the Aries. What happens if you quit the Lightning DS application, and the start the Lightning DS application again, does it see the Aries?

At what point does the Aries revert to the WIFI icon, or does that always stay on?

As a thought, ask Auralic if they can send your Aries the older version of the firmware.

Sorry for all the questions. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong unless you are typing the wrong password, or if you have CAPSLOCK on, or if you have mixed case in your password.

The aries leaves the wifi screen and goes into the "normal" screen after updating settings screen, but...no connection with LDS.

I am not typing password incorrectly, no caps on, etc.

btw, why hasn't Auralic responded to my emails or Facebook posts? it's been well over 18 hours since my first email to them.

What router are you using, an Apple Extreme? And do you have just one router or more?

Also after you pick the wireless network and enter the password I understand you lose the connection to the Aries. What happens if you quit the Lightning DS application, and the start the Lightning DS application again, does it see the Aries?

At what point does the Aries revert to the WIFI icon, or does that always stay on?

As a thought, ask Auralic if they can send your Aries the older version of the firmware.

Sorry for all the questions. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong unless you are typing the wrong password, or if you have CAPSLOCK on, or if you have mixed case in your password.

Correct: do not see Aries on LDS on iPad, even if I drag sidebar.

presently, I am attempting this whole frustrating drill using a hardware from my router. I would have tried this soon if the router was not in a completely other room and required the dismantling of my Aries and PS to set it up. Fingers crossed...

OK, well certainly you have left no stone unturned. One question, so after you make these changes on your iPad, you don't see the Aries anymore correct? And if you drag the left most sidebar on the Lightning DS application ( the side bar with Device and Settings icons on the bottom left side ) you don't see your Aries there either? Just a Icon with "No Device" under it?

I assume you emailed [email protected]? I don't know if they are fully staffed on the weekends.

No such luck with direct wired to router attempt. What a surprise, I am assuming since my unit auto updated, possibly corrupt software, through wireless connection. We should have the option of firmware emailed or direct download and load it on a usb stick and install manually! This sucks!

With an Ethernet connection the Aries shows up on LDS ONLY when choosing Aries in wifi settings on iPad. As soon as I select "Netgear27 5G" as the wifi choice under Aries settings in LDS, and type in password, hit the join button, the Aries is no longer listed in LDS, it says no device. Pardon my patience at this point, as I'm fresh out...but have I been unclear in any of my other posts as to the above scenario? I'm not trying be a smart ass or ungrateful, I'm just trying to insure im communicating my repeated steps that continuously lead me back to square one: No Aries listed in LDS after following the board's instructions for setting up the wifi connection. And BTW, I have NEVER ELECTED to update my firmware. It has done so automatically, which I find strange as well.

also, when the Aries was hard wired to router, it never showed in LDS settings...meaning when I chose "wired" and opened it, it showed "not connected"...I still attempted to select wired as an option, and it again lost the connection with the Aries showing "no device".

I'm usually pretty adept at working through these kind of things, but for some reason, I keep hitting the wall of defeat.

Tim

QUOTE=bplexico;410271]Well I am always asked if I want to update the firmware, it doesn't automatically update on my Aries.

So you are saying with an ethernet connection to the Aries, you cannot see the Aries with your iPad Lighting DS application? Were you able to access the Aries and change it to wired?

Not sure what I did, but it's working now. The only things I did different:

1. Unplugged another network device that would show up on the LDS...

2. Upon doing a hard reset, I always changed the name to something personal, instead of just leaving the aries serial number as the default....this time I left the default serial number after the reboot, until I got a connection, then changed it.

WTF?

I doubt any of this had anything to do with FINALLY GETTING UP AND RUNNING!

But, no doubt all is better now. I was already dreading the return process.

thanks to all the assistance that was offered, especially Bplexico.

Now that my Aries is up and running, I would like to happily agree with some previous posters regarding the SQ of 2.2 firmware...I whole-heartedly agree that to my ears the new firmware fleshes out the music much better. More meat on the bones, as opposed to the slightly dry, more threadbare presentation of 2.1

The newest firmware has a much better top to bottom coherency, whereas 2.1 tended to present the music with a slightly tilted top-end in my system. 2.2 is a sonic welcome addition IMHO.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too was experiencing the occasional glitches after the most recent firmware...then, I left the country on vacation so I cannot vouch for current problems. As an aside, I would like to ask the group for any personal experiences that they have had with using the Uptone Audio JS-2 external power supply. I have the "full" version of the Aries with the Femto clocks. I also just received the Uptone Audio Regen that goes between my Aries and dac on the USB, and it is a SERIOUS GAME CHANGER! I'm looking at the JS-2 to power my Regen AND the Aries. If any of the forum members can either post or PM me with their impressions/ comments about the JS-2, I would much appreciate it. On reflection, PM might be more appropriate as to not hijack this thread.

thanks in advance;

Tim

Not in my system. I am using a PS Audio Directstream DAC. Adding the Regen, the DAC recognized the Aries right away. I am using a dual headed USB cable...I need to plug both the power and data ends of the cable in the Aries to have the dac sync, then I unplug the power and plug my 2 TB USB HD into the Aries. I cannot state more emphatically the improvements that the Regen has made! BTW, to be clear...my "glitches" I was experiencing with my Aries after the latest OS update and Lightning update combo, were previous to adding the Regen. I only got to listen to the Aries/ Regen combo for about a week before I left on vacation. During that time, all was stable.

There was never any doubt in my mind that the JS-2 would work with the Aries. What I was really wondering was it on par for the bang for the buck that we got with the

Regen? Or even remotely close? I would like to know if it really sounds like a $1000.00 upgrade? Compared to the Regen, $175.00 got us some serious returns, IMHO...

• 1 year later...

My Aries has been trying to go through the update process for 3 days now! I clicked the yes button to update on the lighting app, and it seems to be stuck. I reached out to Auralic on Saturday and have yet to hear back from them. I am afraid to cut the power, and reset, for obvious reasons, but I fear I have no choice.Anyone else have an issue? Suggestions?

thanks; Tim

• 1 year later...