IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I have had my Aries for a week now and found the following:

There was a burn/break in period during which the sound of all outputs smoothed out. About this week long and clearly audible.

The rca spdif straight to my Chord Qute EX has rolled of highs (and less detail) compared to usb out to Ifi iusb and further to iLink and further to Qute spdif in. Quite the contrary to what has been discussed above.

So the usb out wins in my system. Before the break in it was clearly too bright, sibilant and "typically digital".

Aries surely is better than my MacBook pro 2008 with latest Audirvana. Bigger soundstage, more detail, dynamics and pinpoint imaging.

i'm using Chord Silver Plus Usb (+5v taped off), Jcat Usb and Black cat Silverstar75!

But I don't listen to dsd...

Say NO to ROON

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Nothing seems to work as suggested above. I have hit the reset button a dozen times. It connects wired only and as soon as I try to connect wireless, I lose the connection between Aries and lightening app. Frustrating to say the least. I wish Aurilac gave us the choice to update firmware! I was disappointed with the sonics of the last firmware, and wished I could have reverted back. Now with the latest firmware downloaded automatically today my Aries is screwed up!

I just used the Lumin app, when I had that problem. Switch to wireless with ligthning and then use only Lumin app.

Say NO to ROON

I can confirm that 2.2 is working OK for me (aries connected via 5GHz wifi and then via USB to the PS Audio DirectStream. Tried with Lightning server, Minimserver, Airplay and Tidal).

However i have some concerns regarding SQ - i get less focus on the stage and less air / high frequency energy and overall dynamics.. Seems I will have to wait few hours to let clocks stabilise to be able to made fair comparison to FW2.1.

Does anyone know how to eventually downgrade aries to FW2.1 ?

Yes, the SQ did change. There is less high frequency energy... which I find a wonderful thing.

Say NO to ROON

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A handful of Mytek and Metrum users start complaining, they get an update in 24 hours. That's some service. I have a Chord Qute EX and you don't see me complaining about a lack of support, I simply use a spdif converter. Maybe I start whining here more often.

Say NO to ROON

Findingit:

My DAC only has a USB input and was working fine before the 2.6 firmware came along. I wouldn't call asking Auralic to fix what they broke whining. If SPDIF was an option for me, I would have been happy to use it until the USB driver was fixed.

The M2tech driver is the only extra driver implemented into the firmware. I just wonder what makes you so privileged over all the other users of non-supported DAC's.

Say NO to ROON

• 3 weeks later...
I pm'd miguelito on his offer, but I am wondering if this is a bad idea since I don't own an ipad. Is it feasible to do setup on an android phone, then use minimserver to stream from my synology nas? I am currently using a BBB put together with Chris's template he published here. But, I also have a mac mini to serve two other DACs (I have three total). I am thinking the Aries could serve all three at once...

The Lightning DS on Android does have some bugs, but the device settings work fine. I use Minimserver and just checked that the app is fine there.

Say NO to ROON

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Anthro said:

Yeah i have the Chord 2Qute. It can output 352.8 just fine as i have succes upsampling to this frequency using Roon. To be more exact using the beta firmware i am unable to upsample to any other frequency then the original input frequency.

I have 2qute as well and everything works fine. 

Say NO to ROON

• 1 month later...