IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Interesting, he told me it came with a 1.2 meter cable between the Aries and the power supply, and a 1.2 meter IEC for the power supply. So I find that quite disappointing.

Barr

We ordered customized slim type to fit into ARIES box, but it sounds just not RIGHT. I am not a cable believer but my sense tell me I can not attach this one...

If you want to become a cable believer and want a try, please just PM me your address. I will mail you one, but dont hate me after you can hear the difference.

I received my Aries today and got it up & running w/o any problems - pure plug & play. I have a Metrum DAC with a M2Tech hiFace1 based USB board which uses a custom protocol/driver. So as expected, I have to use the Aries coax output with the Metrum.

So my question for Mr Wang: is there any chance that you may support hiFace1 based DACs in the future? I have read somewhere that the Aries runs a Linux kernel. The hiFace1 Linux driver is included in newer kernels and can be compiled easily into older ones (I did it myself for the Squeezebox Touch).

Yes, we create a customized realtime Linux kernel. There will be no problem ti integrate the driver if we have source code. This is the same with Mytek 192DSD, we have found the driver code on github and the kernel engineer is looking into it now.

Sorry but as the manufacturer you should have fixed this. If it's made to spec and the spec that you supplied is correct, then they the case manufacturer eats it. If it's the other way, then you eat it. Certainly sending units out to customers is a beta unit. This isn't correct how we do business in the USA. Not me at least.

I dont think this is the correct place to complain but just want to tell you the true story.

After eating a whole batch of 2000pcs NG(not good from our standard) parts in May, the supplier was unwilling to provide any future service even we double the price. After a long negotiation with them, they agreed to delivered 1000pcs that meet our QC standard at doubled price. After the parts arrived, there are still 50% rejected, however, they wont accept any return so we have to pay for everything. The print error on all 1000pcs is actually last issue we have concern.

The supplier has been cut off already but we will loss the money we already invested for plastic mold (probably cant be used for other supplier) and looking for a new one. The major problem is looking for another supplier. We no longer taking new order since middle of July because of this but has to fulfil existing back orders.

HiFi is not a good industry, small quantity but high quality standard, no supplier is willing to work with. Huge money lost already, something we paid for the lesson as the first time we use plastic, never mind...

Wang;

Thanks for sharing this info.

Is there anything else (hardware wise) that needs to be fixed from batch1 to batch2, or is it just the case marking?

Circuit is the final version already, no change required.

The case need some improvement but mostly from factory side (reduce cost by reduce defeat parts rate) , the paint can be future improved.

Firmware need regular update to improve the stability but it is fine now.

Lightning DS need a lot of work and we are working on it.

The good thing I have seen is firmware is stable so it wont effect our progress to add USB hard disk read function as well as DSD upsampling in the future. However the current situation of Lightning DS will result in delay of iPhone and Android version of software.

Thx.

My question was merely related to whether it was any point in waiting for batch2 or just buy the batch1 unit.

I promise that there is no reason to wait if you only concern about hardware. But software will take time to improve, if you are worry about the software, you have enough reason to wait for a month or two.

• 1 month later...
Hi jimmypower yes i have tried all the steps a number of times with not much luck,bplexico yes as soon as you reported the fix i tried it but no luck,i can play music without to much problems all night but the moment Aries has been sitting doing nothing for a few hours or switched of at night the only way for LDS to find Aries is reboot my router, if i don't reboot my router sometimes LDS finds Aries then looses it again and can go on like this for half an hour,i believe it is a network issue but not sure whats causing it,i have another router which is the Netgear D6300 that i can try when i buy a fiber modem to see if that resolves the issue i have given everything on my network fixed ip addresses,what i have also noticed is LDS will find my music collection on nas but not display radio stations and while that part is missing Aries won't play music from nas the album is there but when selecting an album it flashes quickly but sends no music to Aries or it sends music file which shows up on Aries but will not enter play mode very frustrating i can use audio station to send files to oppo 103 and they play every time when Aries will not.

I hope the following will help you and it looks like the WiFi frequency problem. I have tested on Netgear R6300 and R7000 and confirmed with both type, not sure about the other routers but for Netgear, you have to use same frequency.

There are a couple of situation that ARIES can not be seen in Lightning DS, I assume the unit is in working condition:

1. Connected using WIFI: Most of the times is caused by WiFi router. Always separate 2.4G and 5G SSID of your WiFi router so you always know which network you have connected. For example, use AURALiC for 2.4G and AURALiC_5G for 5G. Make sure all devices within Lightning system are connected to same WiFi network and always use 5G frequency if possible. WEP encryption does not work for uPnP structure well, please use WPA/WPA2.

One potential fix to try is to "unhide" the SSID that you intend to connect your Aries to. I find that when I hide (not broadcasting) my SSID, I will not be able to see the Aries on the network. Hope this helps!

Yes, hidden SSID bug has been resolved in firmware V1.8 (not released yet) but I think Stevie's problem is because his router unable to broadcast certain UDP message among WiFi network.

@Wang Xuanqian - can you confirm that V1.8 includes the driver for the older M2Tech USB interfaces as found on some DACs like the Metrum Hex? If it does not can you give an idea of when it will be included?

The M2TECH and Mytek driver will be included in firmware V1.9. We still need to do more testing before release it to public.

Hello, i have a problem to detect the Aries with the iPad in my configuration (same problem with v1.7 and LDS 1.3 and v1.8.2 and LDS 1.3).

my configuration is the following one : box for Internet as router and wifi connexion, netgear r7000 as access point with 2 ssid (net gear-10 and netgear5G-10). All devices can access to internet in rj45 and wifi through this access point (r7000).

The aries is only used wired to the access point.

LDS can only see the Aries if the ssid is the one of the box and not the one of the r7000.

Perhaps it is an issue in the AP setup of the netgear but the settings are very limited. So bug or not ? Any advise ?

BR

Sorry, just saw you have separated the SSID, that should be other problem. Please ignore what I have typed.

I can confirm the the latest firmware is having problem with Lumin App. The new version brings fully support for BubbleDS by adding some additional device description in low level code. The software engineer will look into it after the national holiday in China but a fix is not guaranteed if Lumin App is working in a way that is not compatible with BubbleDS. We will secure the smooth operation with BubbleDS first as this is the only Android control software supporting OpenHome now.

• 5 weeks later...

TIDAL support will come by Lightning DS V1.6, it will also request ARIES firmware version V1.9 (due release 31st this month) or above to go.

The current TIDAL API still have something unfinished at backend so we are unable to release right now. Considering the 14 days Apple review, the estimated time for Lightning DS V1.6 will be by 24th November.

• 4 weeks later...
I ordered my Aries and I should get it next week. Today I copy and paste about 30GB of mostly redbook and some hi-res/DSD files on a new PNY USB 256GB flash drive which I pick up for $75. Regarding leaving the Aries on all the time, shouldn't the Aries be powered down completely if one were to unplug the USB flash drive as there is no safe to eject button.

I'd say most of the time it is OK to hot plug/unplug as ARIES only ready data from disk, there is no write action.

Reply for sound quality change in firmware 1.9 in general:

The firmware V1.9 has introduce a great change in kernel structure which brings dramatic and measurable reduced jitter testing result. It has been reported with various of user with reference system that the image and clarity of the sound has been improved quite a lot.

Anything related to the listening experience is subjective which I do not comment on as usual. It is however if you find the new firmware sounds sibilance, I would suggest you to consider if the other component in your system contains too much distortion that higher fidelity (lower jitter) will cause those distortion more audible.

Understood, and fair point. However, the sound over SPDIF does not lack the sibilance clarity that I find missing over USB. Is there a good explanation to this?

It may because the DAC has a USB stage that generates higher jitter comparing to its digital inputs. It is quite common as even our VEGA has slightly higher jitter on USB.

Higher jitter will however blur everything as it directly effect D/A processing by generating more noise (reduce SNR).