IGNORED

HQ Player

On 2/21/2020 at 3:43 PM, JTS said:

I am assuming you have the D90 based on your notes about it.

If so, is there an explicit switch for DSDD or does the D90 automatically implement DSDD when it is in DAC mode? Is there any indicator that lets you know you're in DSDD?

I am also curious if you also have the RME? If so, do you have a sense of how they compare to each other? Does the D90 operate as well as the RME does with HQPlayer? I have a ADI-2 DAC fs at work which I love and serves as my reference point now.

Hi, I just received my D90 MQA and for the life of me, I can’t seem to figure out how to change to DAC mode or adjust the I2S settings.  Can someone shed some light?  Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am running HQPlayer Desktop 4 on a dedicated Windows 10 machine that is connected to my DAC via NAA.  Since I don’t listen to it all the time, the machine is set to sleep after a period of inactivity.  I find that when I wake the machine and try to play, I have to close out of HQPlayer Desktop and reopen it in order for it to connect to the NAA. Alternatively, I can also go to settings, don’t do anything hit OK and that will work as well.  Therefore, it seems HQPlayer loses connection to the NAA while in sleep mode.  I don’t have any other instances of HQPlayer which would connect to the NAA so there is no chance another HQPlayer is taking control of the NAA while the Windows 10 machine is asleep.  Would it be possible to add a feature to “refresh” the connection if it is lost?  I know when I was using HQPlayer 3 and maybe even some earlier versions of HQPlayer 4 that it will play fine without any intervention from wake.  Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, having some issues with NAA discovery by HQPlayer.  The NAA is running the latest Ropieee on a Pi 4.  HQPlayer on my main Windows Audio PC (call it PC1) is not seeing the NAA so I tried it from a couple of other Windows PC's on my home network and both can see the NAA fine.  Networking is working fine on PC1 and as an aside, Spotify running on PC1 "sees" the Raspotify daemon on that same Pi4 so there is definitely connectivity to the Pi4, but HQPlayer just can't see it.  I have other Pi4's running Ropieee on the network and HQplayer on PC1 also do not see those, whereas HQPlayer on the other PC's do see them.  I've tried adding open rules for HQPlayer on the PC1 Firewall, but that didn't fix the issue.  Anything else I can try?  Thanks!

On 8/17/2021 at 6:29 AM, Miska said:

Check that Windows doesn't have more than one network interface active. In Control Panel go to Manage Network Interfaces, and then use the toolbar buttons to disable any extra interfaces.

Thanks!  That did the trick!  Is there a way to select the interface HQPlayer should use vs. disabling the ones currently no in use?

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Miska said:

Not really, since HQPlayer is not using any particular interface. But instead relies OS to correctly route packets.

Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem having Roon connect to HQPlayer.  I'm getting a "Playback failed because Roon couldn't connect to HQPlayer."  HQPlayer is running on Windows 10 and because I have hyper-V enabled, there are two NIC's.  The hardware NIC and a virtual switch.  I have tried setting HQPlayer in Roon as localhost and by IP and Roon cannot see HQPlayer.

Any ideas on how to fix?  On this PC, I cannot disable any of the NIC's.

I've also tried disabling the firewall and that does not solve the issue.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer playback works fine standalone, without Roon?

Are both HQPlayer and Roon on the same computer? If they are, is the DAC disabled in Roon Settings -> Audio (must be)?

HQPlayer has the network control button pressed?

Roon has correct IP address for HQPlayer, and firewall is not preventing incoming connection from Roon?

HQPlayer Client is able to connect to HQPlayer server?

Hi, below are the answers to your questions.  Thank you for your help.

HQPlayer playback works fine standalone, without Roon?  Yes, HQPlayer plays fine without Roon.

Are both HQPlayer and Roon on the same computer? If they are, is the DAC disabled in Roon Settings -> Audio (must be)?  Roon Core and HQPlayer are on the same Windows machine.  There is no DAC attached to the machine.  HQPlayer is setup to play to NAA which it does correctly on a standalone basis.

HQPlayer has the network control button pressed?  Yes, it is pressed.

Roon has correct IP address for HQPlayer, and firewall is not preventing incoming connection from Roon?  I have tried adding HQPlayer to Roon using both the IP address of the Windows machine and as localhost.  Neither one works.

HQPlayer Client is able to connect to HQPlayer server?  I’m not sure what this means.  I run HQPlayer Desktop and both HQPlayer4Client and HQplayer4Desktop are added to Windows Firewall.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, "localhost" should then work fine.

That you can connect and control HQPlayer Desktop from HQPlayer Client running on the same computer.

I don't believe I can.  I scanned my flac library in HQPlayer Desktop and opened HQPlayer Client.  I client, I selected localhost, but I don't see any of the albums that were scanned.  I've tried searching for things I know exists and nothing comes up.  Both HQPlayer Desktop and Client are running on the same machine. 

As a test, I installed HQPlayer Desktop on another machine with only one NIC and no Hyper-V and from the original Windows Machine, I am able to connect to this new install of HQPlayer.  So it seems the problem is something specific to the first machine.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:16 PM, Hammer said:

I don't believe I can.  I scanned my flac library in HQPlayer Desktop and opened HQPlayer Client.  I client, I selected localhost, but I don't see any of the albums that were scanned.  I've tried searching for things I know exists and nothing comes up.  Both HQPlayer Desktop and Client are running on the same machine. 

As a test, I installed HQPlayer Desktop on another machine with only one NIC and no Hyper-V and from the original Windows Machine, I am able to connect to this new install of HQPlayer.  So it seems the problem is something specific to the first machine.

Hi, any thoughts on why I cannot connect to HQPlayer either with Client or Roon?  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Desktop or embedded?

I’m trying to connect to HQPlayer Desktop.  The Windows 10 pc HQP Desktop is installed on has internet and HQP Desktop can see the NAA that’s on my network, but neither Roon Server nor HQP Client, both of which are installed on the same PC, can see HQP Desktop.  Very strange!  I’ve also tried connecting with Windows Firewall disabled without success.  Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hi, trying to connect to HQPlayer running on Windows 10 from Roon.  I find that if there are more than one network adapter present that I cannot connect.  It seems HQPlayer does not use the default network adapter.  This is problematic since in order to run VM's on the Windows machine, I need to enable the software adapters that Windows installs in order to support Hyper-V.  Has anyone else run into this issue and is there a workaround? Or a way to select which network adapter HQPlayer should use?  I'm running the most recent version of HQPlayer Desktop.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer doesn't listen on any specific interface, just binds it's port on "any", IOW, 0.0.0.0.

Thanks...I don't think I know what that means.  On my Windows 10 machine, Roon cannot connect to HQPlayer unless vEthernet (Default Switch) is disabled.  This is the network interface Hyper-V installs to provide vm's with network access.  Is there a way for Roon to connect with this enabled?  Additionally, with this enabled, HQPlayer also does not see the NAA's on the network.  However, I can access the internet and my network shares so there is connectivity with it enabled...just not respect to HQPlayer.

• 2 months later...

Hi, now that nVidia video card prices are falling, thinking about getting one for CUDA offload.  Some of them are labeled as LHR for Low Hash Rate with I think is a limiter for crypto mining.  Does anyone know if that also reduces performance for HQPlayer?  Thanks!

On 4/11/2022 at 7:25 AM, El Guapo said:

My previous RTX3070 / 8GB GPU was LHR version. I didn't see large performance penalty compare to my current 3080ti / 12GB. Limitation was VRAM, not GPU's computing power.

Here's my old test data, 3070 LHR doing AMSDM7EC -> DSD1024

790464553_Image2022-4-11at7_19PM.thumb.jpg.b0da6bf6305b1192890405393229e701.jpg

Here's my current 3080ti no LHR

311058125_Image2022-4-11at7_20PM.thumb.jpg.be5cc94bf4e0f5fb79d1a00f3c2a3d03.jpg

Thanks for the info.  Does o mean it can do it and x means no, it can't?  One my 5950X with no GPU, I can do EC up to DSD512 but only with the -2 filters.  I've always wanted to try the all in VRAM filters so will get a 12GB card if I full the trigger. Probably after the merge at hopefully lower prices.

Hi, is anyone able to connect HQPlayer from Roon when HQPlayer is running on a Windows 10/11 machine with Hper-V enabled?  I find that Roon is unable to connect to HQPlayer in this configuration.  In order to get it to work, I have to disable the vEthernet network connection that is installed and enabled by Hyper-V.  Any help in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated since it would be great to be able to run both HQPlayer and Hyper-V on my fastest machine.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, running HQPlayer Desktop on Windows 11 playing to a Pi 4 NAA.  I notice that when my PC goes to sleep and I wake it up, I can no longer connect to the NAA and under settings, the list of available NAA is blank.  But all other networking such as browsers, SMB network shares, network printers etc. works.

Closing HQPlayer and restarting does not solve the issue.  Only a reboot of the Windows machine will restore connection to the NAA.

Anyone else experience this?

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, certainly works for me. I usually hibernate my laptop, and then wake it up again and start HQPlayer, and it reconnects nicely to the NAA (over WiFi).

I suspect this has something to do with network interfaces. Do you possibly have multiple network interfaces on your computer?

Yes, I do have multiple interfaces.  I have a two port 10G NIC, the regular 1G motherboard NIC and also the Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC.

Is there a way to specify a specific NIC to use?  Or another solution? 

Thank you!

33 minutes ago, bogi said:

Disable automatic sleeping on user inactivity in Power & Sleep settings:

image.png.1606727aeabbc244a0916f1911397ad4.png

When disabled, you can still sleep your computer manually.

Thanks...unfortunately, the same issue occurs when I put the PC to sleep manually...

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Problem is that the multicast routing seems to change when you enter/exit sleep. Usually it should follow your default (internet) route, but if that changes for some reason or is not the case, then it seems that this parts ends up changing. With bad luck, it is because the network interfaces recover from sleep in a different order than they would come up during regular boot.

Such issues are common for multi-homed configurations (multiple network interfaces).

HQPlayer relies on the OS to know where the multicast discovery messages should go.

It's weird because everything else such as Roon and the Sonos Controller works fine on wake and I think they also use multicast.  It's just HQPlayer that's losing connect.  Are there any settings I can try to adjust in HQPlayer?  Like select the interface to use?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, bogi said:

I didn't want you to do that. I wanted you to help to prevent entering sleep mode due to user inactivity timeout. I didn't expect you want to enter sleep mode manually, I only mentioned that it is still possible if you set timeout to 'Never'. Do you need sleep mode on HQPlayer computer?

Do you really need the Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC on HQPlayer computer? If not, you can disable the interface.

Oh sorry I misunderstood....unfortunately, I do need those things on this PC.  In the past, I just left it on 24/7 and so never noticed the issue, but electricity prices and gone up the roof and also in an effort to be more green, I'm trying to sleep what I'm not using...hopefully, there can be a fix.

2 hours ago, bogi said:

After waking up the PC from sleep mode I would try:

1. Disable Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC

2. In HQPlayer, go to Settings and without change press Cancel or OK (it restarts audio engine, so NAA should be connected)

3. Enable Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC

If that would work for you, steps 1 to 3 can be scripted so the action could be reduced to clicking an icon.

Edit: You can try first to check/change priority of network  adapters to priorize your LAN NIC over HyperV by setting higher metric number to HyperV NIC: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10

That's really cool...thank you.  Unfortunately, the metric change didn't solve the issue.  Not sure if it's related, but I'm also finding that Roon also cannot "play" to this HQPlayer.  I've made sure the "network" button is "on" on HQPlayer.  So strange.

49 minutes ago, Hammer said:

That's really cool...thank you.  Unfortunately, the metric change didn't solve the issue.  Not sure if it's related, but I'm also finding that Roon also cannot "play" to this HQPlayer.  I've made sure the "network" button is "on" on HQPlayer.  So strange.

Actually, I take that back...rebooted and now it works!!!  Thank you so much!

3 minutes ago, bogi said:

I am not using Roon, but if I well understand, Roon does not know about NAA - it is configured in HQPlayer only. So if HQPlayer cannot play to NAA, playing from Roon to HQPlayer cannot change that. You can configure WASAPI playback to integrated sound card in your HQPlayer computer, if it works from Roon. If yes, then you have no network related issue between Roon and HQPlayer computer.

Thank you again!  Changing the metric worked for me and now it works after wake.  Really appreciate your help.