IGNORED

HQ Player

If your audio device is USB and you are using WASAPI backend, change "Buffer time" setting to 100 ms. The OS default 10 ms is a bit too short with USB for many computers.

Dear Miska, In previous versions of HQPlayer for MacOS you had buffer setting available and this possibility was removed later. Do you plan to make it accessible again? I found it really useful for dealing with stuttering. Thank you.

Regarding the DirectSDM setting, I've checked my code couple of times. During processing, it is only considered in DSD -> DSD case.

I guess something wrong with ears of one guy from France, one from Slovakia, and one from Ukraine... Sure, ears can not read code :)

Now, that's funny. A day or two ago I was asked is it possible to make buffer setting available again in Mac OS version. Meanwhile, I run HQPlayer old version (it was 3.6.0, I keep some in archive), which has ability to access buffer setting, and changed it to 100 ms. Then I returned to most recent version, 3.7.1. After opening preferences I found out buffer was set to 100 ms, grayed... :)

Maybe you have now mixed older and newer libraries. :)

Well, we are not deleting anything before installing new build, true? Anyway, it gives a way to activate grayed setting if one need it... :) BTW, I found out default buffer seem to give better sound.

But, here is what I would like to find out now, question to you, Bogi, and Le Concombre Masqué:

It seems we prefer DirectSDM to be checked. Did you try to change DSDIFF/DSF settings nevertheless (DirectSDM checked). Call me crazy, but I seem to hear some changes in PCM to DSD results if change those. I know, code tells it is not activated ;)

The only thing that effects is the volume control. Maybe that is what you are hearing?

I am not speaking about DirectSDM checked vs. unchecked. It seems, that changing, for example, integrator from FIR to IIR while DirectSDM stays checked all the time makes difference in sound characteristics. Not volume, though.

I'm more and more convinced that a serious audiophile with good digital playout in mind, should start acquiring oscilloscope, probes and measurement skills before any of audio equipment ... :-)

And good plugs for ears, to avoid listening interference during scientific measurements.

No, it's not the same thing and it is not hoax. Upsampling (aka oversampling) is about moving images to higher frequencies so that analog reconstruction filter can perform better and there are less or preferably no image frequencies left. (some call these images "aliases", but it is actually incorrect term, images are the out-of-band ones, aliases are the ones folded back in-band)

You can read about the theory here:

Oversampling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some technical differences whether term "upsampling" or "oversampling" is used, but from theory perspective you can use the two almost interchangeably.

Oversampling can also be used in imaging/camera technology and is explained here:

Oversampled binary image sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any modern A/D or D/A conversion chip is oversampled.

Nobody can ever mimic this Nordic coolness. That is the reason we love you, Jussi.

IOW, if you are trying to impress your woman and the restaurant requires a sport coat, why not wear your own nicely fitted Canali rather than rely on the ratty one they provide to loan out to losers who don't own a sport coat.
This is what I call stressed life. You need to wear a Canali to survive.
Au contraire - If you are wearing the Canali (though personally I would say Zegna), life has little stress for you. Rather, you cause stress for others. :)
How on this earth you knew I prefer Zegna over Canali??? Is it a kind of troyan imbedded in my much cherished green regen that you read from?
I have not tried a RAMdisk on my MacBook Pro yet, but here is an interesting observation worth sharing.

I have played with the demo version of HQPlayer on my main SSD drive on the MacBook, on a USB thumb drive, and finally on a Sandisk SD card that's plugged directly into my MacBook. Low and behold, the SD card really made HQPlayer sound significantly better in all respects from the other two options. Go figure!

Well... sometimes the simplest idea never comes first. I experimented a lot with SD cards previously, however, every time I was formatting a card to make it bootable with OS installed on a card (stripped or full) and launched HQPlayer from app folder. Now I even do not remember if I ever tried to run system from internal ssd, and HQPlayer from SD card. After 1markr post I decided to try this as well. Formatted one of my bootable SD (Sandisk) into regular external disk, downloaded latest version of HQPlayer, and copied on SD. Booted mac mini from ssd and opened HQPlayer from inserted SD. I am not smoking, but the sound is startlingly realistic and alive. Whether green regen shines in this setting even more, or some other things are in effect, but I listen my music with a greatest joy. So, my advice to all SD aficionados would be to give it a try, it is so simple and easy. Thank you, 1markr!

Now I even do not remember if I ever tried to run system from internal ssd, and HQPlayer from SD card. After 1markr post I decided to try this as well.

Update: Info for those who will want to try HQPlayer from SD card - when I previously tried OS on bootable SD card, I found out that I prefer 16GB Transcend regular card over 32GB Sandisk fast card. Now, when OS on ssd and HQPlayer on SD card, it seems I prefer the sound of HQP from 32 GB Sandisk rather than from 16GB Transcend. I also did clean install of Yosemite from USB drive.

I posted the message below

Here is the reply

I already find out (discussion several pages ago with Miska participation about PCM settings in HQP played DSD) than some crazy ideas do have effect, also within the case of "there should not be..." Settings that shouldn't have effect seem to have effect.

Program launch from SSD vs. RAM Disk would influence some other/third factors or processes within soft or hardware that influence the outcome, maybe. I have no lead to rational understanding of this, but this might as well be the reason of the beauty of things :)

Here is screen print. With these settings, and DirectSDM box checked, PCM plays and converts to DSD128, DSD64 plays DSD64 and DSD128 plays DSD128. With DirectSDM unchecked, the player appears to be playing but there is no signal going to USB board. Is there some other setting required?

DIYINHK plays DSD just fine, DSD64 and DSD128 as DoP. Nothing special required. And I can assure that you that I am playing DSD. I have used FooBar and Pono Music World to play DSD files and they will both upsample to DSD128 and play through DIYINHK USBtoI2S. I am not using a DAC, i take DSD straight off the I2S pins to a LPF then to my analog amplifiers. In fact, it is impossible for me to play PCM!!

You may want to increase volume - top right

Ahhh shoot me now and put me out of my misery. Sorry for wasting time with such a rookie mistake. Ive been playing with HQ player in DirectSDM mode and of course the volue player doesn't do anything ... so when I unchecked the box I didnt realise that volume control was enabled. D'oh.
I went through this myself and many others as well, I believe :).
  • 3 weeks later...
Sorry for of top of discussion.

Few moths was using HP player without any problems and extremely satisfied o quality, but...

After Mac OS update to 10.10.4 can't use HQP as any type of files added in Playlist transport is not going for playing. From other side, when I'm trying use File- Library-Add any type of files ( flac, dsd,...) in Library are marked "grey"...

Does ay one had such problems? PS. Reinstallation of purchased HP Desktop (3.7.1.) doesn't help.

Thank You for expected replies...

Sorry you have this issue... I installed 10.10.4 update on two different macs, HQP plays ok on both.

• 1 month later...
If you erase the "current.m3u8" file in c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\hqplayer, those songs go away...

After deleting "current.m3u8" songs gone away, but then another album songs stick to the playlist. See no fun deleting that file time and again and returned back to previous HQP version which also seems to operate faster.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated HQP to 3.11.0 (Mac) - everything works fine.

Miska, I have a question about Pipeline Setup. If digital volume control bypassed (DirectSDM enabled) and Pipeline Setup enabled with negative gains for channel 1 and 2 (see picture enclosed) does it means -18 attenuation enabled for two speakers stereo system AND digital volume control in HQP disabled at the same time?

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 00.55.28.png

Or, is there any other way to achieve negative attenuation with digital volume control bypassed?