IGNORED

HQ Player

... Then I went to a Dell Precision T5600 (2.6gHz 16-core; 48 GB RAM; Quadro 4000...so no CUDA for HQplayer) with Ubuntu Studio 14.04 installed on a Samsung 850 SSD...that was really close...only showing about 18-19% processer...but it still stutters...definitely the closest I've gotten with polysinc-2s...

Robert

I just landed into DSD256 capabilities with MacBookPro 11,4 and I think is enough for me ... :-)

I'm a laptop fan and I don't want to use desktop unit for music processing. In any case I'm curios to understand why a Quadro 4000 can't be used for HQP computation, I was thinking that 3.0 capabilities are enough. Isn't it ?

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

HQP is 'talking' to the JLSounds I2SoverUSB board ...

I've a similar setup but a different issue ...

JLSounds I2SoverUSB board with AK4490 DAC board. With DAC with DSD Direct mode, if I start play a DSD file, playout bar move normally but no sound exit ... In order to have sound, I need to manually operate display buttons and set DSD mode with volume and then back to Direct.

This setup works correctly until disk ends. Then If I start a new disk, I need to do the procedure again.

Have you noticed any similar issue ?

• 3 weeks later...
I've been using HQPlayer with Ubuntu Studio for some time and been very pleased with the performance. But on a whim I decided to try Debian stretch OS this week. ...

Regards, Hazard

I've an highly customize JLSounds system me as well (ok the chassis can be better) with HQPlayer.

I did myself a try with Ubuntu Studio 15.10 but then landed into Linux Mint Trusty with Miska kernel patches. Mint definitely sounds better than UStudio on an aged Lenovo i5 laptop and far better than my supercool Apple MacBook Pro 11,4 2.2GHz quad i7.

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

• 1 month later...
Resurrecting this to ask, what NAAs are available that can be connected directly to the Mac Mini? This is exactly what I would like to do, then use HQPlayer to upsample everything to DSD and go to a DSD DAC.

I did it many times in the past with MacBookPro as main unit and heterogeneous box as NAA (Beaglebone Black, MacBookPro, Linux). If you don't need Internet connection, the best way to do it is by a cross-connect Ethernet cable between the two boxes and nothing else; then statically set IP address to a common IP subnet and configure the Default Gateway pointing to the other unit. Disable firewall.

If you need Internet access as well, I usually statically set IP addresses of HQP unit/NAA as belonging to the routed IP subnet but out of DHCP pool managed by the Internet router. As an example:

Internet router inside address = 192.168.100.1 mask 255.255.255.0

Internet router DHCP pool range = from 192.168.100.64 to 192.168.100.128

HQP desktop unit address = 192.168.100.10 mask 255.255.255.0 (static)

NAA unit address = 192.168.100.11 mask 255.255.255.0 (static)

HQP and NAA Default Gateway = 192.168.100.1 (static)

• 6 months later...

- Installed a new laptop with Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" ...

- Installed kernel 4.4.0.42 Low Latency

- Installed NVIDIA Quadro drivers for the K3000M board

- Installed latest available HQP Desktop

Double click on HQP ... nothing ... desktop doesn't open, not a crash, not a warning, no signs.

- Unistalled then reistalled with power off in the middle

Still in the same status

Any clue about the reason ? Where should I look for logs ?

I would guess some needed shared library is missing. This is easy to figure out by opening terminal and starting HQPlayer from there, it'll start with just "hqplayer". Dynamic loader will likely complain about missing .so and terminate the application startup.

This is what I got. Massimiliano

dsd-Precision-M6700 bin # uname -r

4.4.0-42-lowlatency

dsd-Precision-M6700 bin # ./hqplayer

locale=en_US, country=UnitedStates, language=English

Failed to open config in user location, trying to create default config: clXmlElement::ParseFile(): fopen(): No such file or directory

QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled

Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile 0)

Aborted

dsd-Precision-M6700 bin # nvidia-smi

Thu Oct 13 08:39:54 2016

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| NVIDIA-SMI 367.57 Driver Version: 367.57 |

|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |

| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |

|===============================+======================+======================|

| 0 Quadro K3000M Off | 0000:01:00.0 Off | N/A |

| N/A 48C P0 N/A / N/A | 0MiB / 1998MiB | 0% Default |

+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes: GPU Memory |

| GPU PID Type Process name Usage |

|=============================================================================|

| No running processes found |

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I've a basic HQP issue on a newly fresh installed laptop with UbuntuStudio 16.04.03

I installed UbuntuStudio as a default with all packages (so no customization). Then I installed a bunch of software as Chrome, Audacious etc.etc. and even a quite complex X-Plane simulator that benefits from the NVIDIA M5100K graphic board.

I can't install HQP ... :$

I downloaded latest package 3.20.2-73 ito /Downloads ...

Using File Manager I move into /Dowloads then > right click > open with Software Install > Install ... for 1-2 seconds I see "installing" on button then everithing return steady

I also tried manual installation <sudo dpkg -i hqplayer...deb> but I got an error:

<hqplayer pre-depends on menu>

<menu is not installed>

What should I do?

Thanks in advance. Massimiliano

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Is the cover manage working for .dsf file as well?

I tried 3.25.0 on MacBookPro, there's a cover file named "Cover.jpg", if i drag&drop the whole album on HQP GUI track list panel, nothing appeared on the picture windows top left, even playing the file.

• 5 months later...

Hi Miska. I'm an addicted user of a DSC2.5.2 dac (the son of your DSC1)...

My setup has BeagleBoneBlack as NAA with botic Kernel, so BBB receives the stream from ethernet (as usual) and then drive the reclocker and then the dac via I2S (no USB).

My current settings for 44.1 to DSD are:

DAC bits = default

PCM Defaults: filter>closed-form, dither>shaped, sample rate> 44.1

SDM: Oversampling: closed-form, Modulator: ASDM7, Bit rate: 44.1x 256

Do you have any suggested setup to try for CD>DSD256 and DSD64>DSD256?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm one of the early adopters of HQP 3.x, now I've some doubts about HQP 4.x:

1. How the "maintenance mode" apply to 3.x? I mean, if a modification on one of the upcoming OSX/Linux major/maintenance releases will broke HQP, is this going to be fixed?
  2. I have a headless Linux computer running HQP 3.25.x and controlled by NoMachine via iPhone (ugly) or MacBookPro OSX device. I would like to keep my linux headless computer for playout and having a nice remote control via iPhone APP and MAcBookPro ... what should I choice? HQP 4.0 Desktop or Embedded?
On 4/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, Miska said:

On MacBook Pro you can use the HQPlayer Client shipped with HQPlayer 4 Desktop for controlling Embedded. The Client doesn't need a license key file, so you can run it as long as you have either Embedded or Desktop v4 somewhere. From iPhone, you can control Embedded using web browser.

Thanks Miska, the combination of the headless Embedded with MacBookPro running the client to control it, sounds interesting ... I'm less enthusiast about using web browser on iPhone, hope someone will provide a nice app in the future.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, Miska said:

If you have Linux and want headless, certainly HQPlayer Embedded...

But there are trial for both, you can try. Point of Embedded is that you don't need to have anything graphical running or even installed on the computer where HQPlayer is running. And HQPlayer is started up as a system service at boot time.

Can I use Embedded to play Internet radio / streaming to a DSD only DAC?

I mean. I've a DSD dac only (DSC2.5.2) and today with HQP3.x I can't use a streaming service, I can only play .dfs, .wav, .flac etc.etc. as a file directly loaded by the player.

Hope that Embedded can be used as an engine for Internet streaming service or even for a web based radio 

• 3 weeks later...

I recently changed changed my computer as a source with the following components:

- mini-ITX mobo Gigabyte GA-Q87 equipped with i5-4590 processor in a Silentmax passive chassis (very nice)

- NAA BeagleBone Black connected to DSC2.5.2 DAC

- NAS Drobo 5N

In terms of performance,  the unit can upsample 44kHz  to minringFIR, ASDM7, DSD256 ... unfortunately ClosedForm or Closed-Form-16M don't work but I' satisfied.

In terms of LAN setup, currently I've a plain setup using a single port:

- Pc, NAS and NAA are all IPv4 into the same subnet of the default Gateway 192.168.1.x/24 with enabled DHCP (so all dynamic)

Do you have any experience with dual LAN setup? I mean a LAN dedicated to NAA and the second one for NAS ... 

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, jimdukey said:

I listen to Internet radio with a PCM Dac.

Yep, with a PCM DAC it's ok.

I would like to  find a way to use RadioParadise FLAC streaming with HQP "conversion"engine to DSD and the stream to DSD dac the flow.

I don't know if HQP Desktop or Embedded 4.x can do the job.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there any guidance/suggestion to use HQP 3.25.6 with NAA by using a straight back-to-back cable? So no DHCP ... 

I did some experiment but I don't understand how to make it working with IPv4 and IPv6 too ... 

HQPDesk runs on my Apple MacBookPro Mojave, NAA is running on a BeagleBoneBlack

I sometimes see the NAA ... sometimes not

Reboot, reload, turn on and off the card

I don't understand how to see the NAA in a stable manner

Any suggestion?

On 1/16/2021 at 12:22 AM, Miska said:

Why!? It has not been designed to be used that way...

Direct connection could be useful when source HQPD has two separate Ethernet interfaces one for "normal" network access (cable or wifi with DHCP server somewhere) and the other as a straight cable to NAA (catX or fiber optical). In my case I use a MacBookPro that reads audio files locally on SSD or from NAS by accessing home network via WiFi, then I use a straight Fiber Optical cable to send audio stream to NAA, Mac and NAA use very tiny 100-X media converters (3M Volition) that have the beauty to be powered by 5V provided by any USB port ... 

• 3 weeks later...

Any macOS Big Sur user with NAA?

I just upgrade my MacBookPro from Mojave to BigSur ... HQP Desktop 3.25.6 doesn't work anymore with NAA

I also tried HQP Desktop 4.0 just to double check and but no sound at all ...

HQPD4.0 just show additional info (see below)

Any clue?

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.56.55 PM.png

12 hours ago, Miska said:

In the log I can just see the NAA being disconnected when playback is started. You may want to check what kind of error there is at the NAA side.

I've a second Mac still on Mojave and HQP-NAA is perfectly working ... 

I'll try to do troubleshooting on side NAA when managed by BigSur unit

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 9:55 AM, Ipoci said:

MacOS BigSur 11.2.0 issue with NAA 3.5.5 ... is now solved with 11.2.1

I just did the upgrade and HQPDesktop to NAA communication seems ok

Unfortunately latest upgrade (I'm obliged to do that) to BigSur 11.2.3 break again the behavior ... so:

11.2.0 not working

11.2.1 working

11.2.3 not working

In order to avoid the issue popping out every upgrade, I installed an MacOS Mojave (perfectly works) into a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on top of my BigSur resident MacOS ... but unfortunately the VM can't see the NAA (probably due to "virtualized" network environment)