IGNORED

HQ Player

This product sounds like it is powerful and perhaps complicated to use.

Have a dedicated 2010 Mini 8GB with 128 GB SSD firewired to a Mytek DSD 192. Used A+ and have found A+v2 user unfriendly. Also have PM and it is nice, but a little soft sounding with iTunes integration.

Is this product for guys who know what they are doing on a Mac? Or can a knucklehead like me work it?

Tone with Soul

You can definitely use it! If you don't try to use its primitive "library" features, you can use pretty much like "playlist" mode of A+ 1.5.x. I came over from A+ (pre-2.x), and the transition is easy. Either drag-and-drop tracks into the lower pane, or in iTunes Export your playlists and then open them with HQ Player.

As for the DSP stuff (upsampling for PCM DACs and sigma-delta modulation for DSD DACs), that too is quite easy. Once you start using it you will figure out which filters, dither, and modulators you like and settle on them.

HQ Player will produce the most life-like sound you have ever heard from Redbook CDs. Don't be afraid. And it is not necessary to do the NAA thing. A well-tweaked Mac mini OS (Mavericks at least) will give you terrific results. Oh, and no, HQ Player does not offer any iTunes integration (other than opening exported iTunes playlists).

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Didn't understand the NAA thing, anyways. Something about networks and interfaces...all Greek to me.

Tone with Soul

There are some comments about using HQP with the Mytek earlier in this thread. I believe you have to set HQP for DSD over DOP in settings to get it to work as the Mytek does not play native DSD. I could be wrong about this as I don't own one. Just search back in the thread and you will find the explanation for Mytek.

I do not own any DSD files...I just noticed the dial on the right of the IU...thought it had something to do with the Time adjustments...its a V control. Yup, I'm that weak.

Still can't figure out how to up convert PCM to DSD...? But then, maybe I would need to know what DOP is!

Tone with Soul

With Mytek using Firewire on Mac; in Preferences select "DoP" under "SDM Pack". This allows you to do PCM and DSD64. Then in main window, select "SDM (DSD)" from the right-most drop list.

If you'd like to do DSD128 you lose PCM capability unless you change settings back, but again in Preferences, select "2wire" check box. Now you get possibility to output 5.6/6.1 MHz DSD. If you switch to PCM output mode in main window you will get incorrect output, so in case you'd like to go back to PCM compatibility you need to uncheck the "2wire" option. For me, this is not an issue because I always stick to DSD output only...

Thanks Miska, have read many of your posts over the last couple of years, but most are on issues that are way over my head!

Have played Aaron Parker "Invisible Cinema" and Blueberry Smoke's live album, night and day musical genres, on HQP and it is freakin' fantastic sounding...jazz is sweet, clear and delicate and the Southern rednecks kick butt in 3D. Liking the great detail without harshness and the bass is deep, controlled and tuneful.

Buying this tonight. Congrats on a great product, which I believe is your labor of love!

Tone with Soul

If you'd like to do DSD128 you lose PCM capability unless you change settings back, but again in Preferences, select "2wire" check box. Now you get possibility to output 5.6/6.1 MHz DSD. If you switch to PCM output mode in main window you will get incorrect output, so in case you'd like to go back to PCM compatibility you need to uncheck the "2wire" option. For me, this is not an issue because I always stick to DSD output only...

Do I need 2 wires to do DSD128...think I made adjustments, but just getting a buzz instead of music. Changed Filters on Mytek to DSD. Anything else needed to be changed?

Tone with Soul

Do I need 2 wires to do DSD128...think I made adjustments, but just getting a buzz instead of music. Changed Filters on Mytek to DSD. Anything else needed to be changed?

Probably should add that I own one of the very early DSD 192s, never cut the traces and have never updated firmware...it worked and I never bought any DSD files (last time I looked, old crap rehashed or audiophile fodder). Perhaps this is the issue??? Tried with 2wire and not, low numbers (not sure exactly which ones are DSD56 or DSD128...seems like more choices than two? Switched Mytek filters to DSD.

Sorry to be a pain...turning 58 next week and am a tech user (Safari, Mail, Word, PP, XL, Adobe, video streaming, music listening...) negatory experience with setting stuff up, data manipulation, code writing. My last "computer" class was at Columbia U MBA program in 1980 and it involved card readers. One classmate (engineer from Australia) when still at Columbia started up a company centered on this new technology, these plastic discs called CDs that could contain entire books, even an entire encyclopedia on a few of them.

Tone with Soul

Thanks...feel like a DoPe.

Guess I'm going to have to do the firmware update and will need a blade to cut the traces.

Guess I was outta date, my firmware was 1.2 versus 1.8. Had to cut trace on board...kinda hairy, but worth the trouble.

Sounds absolutely fantastic playing CD rips up sampled to HD DSD.

Though I'm confused about all the sample rate numbers off into the stratosphere...what do they mean and what should I use with the Mytek?

Tone with Soul

Having fun listening to music on HQPlayer, up sampled to DSD128 on Mytek DSD 192.

Using a dedicated headless Mac Mini 2.4 Core 2 from 2010, 8GB RAM, player on 128 GB SSD, music on a 1.5TB X2 OWC supplied RAID1. Noticed that at this high conversion rate CPU usage is constant @60% flat lined whilst playing. Went to files to locate some tunes to add to playlist and music started to stutter as CPU increased. Time for new Mini with more processing capacity? Am I going to burn up my Mini if I play at 60% CPU for extended periods?

Know the answer would be yes, upgrade Mini, if I went for a DAC upgrade to say the Manhattan or exaSound for higher conversion rate.

Have tried to understand the discussion here about NAA...only get that it involves having up sampling/converting being done on one computer and sent to another already in DSD format to another computer to play it without the "stress" of high CPU usage, which causes noise as CPUs are noisy bastards when asked to toil hard.

Could someone be so kind as explain in CA for Dummies fashion, step by step, what this would involve...like, could I use my 2010 unit to play and by another Mini to convert? What would "hook them up?"

Have nice speakers and amp in music room (Aerial 10Ts and McCormack DNA 500, detailed, deep and sweet), that also has 2 or more acoustic guitars on stands, a guitar amp or two in room with 3 or 4 drivers...stuff that create noise, interfere with "perfect audiophile environment"...so I not listening to my system, but to music in a multipurpose room. So I have to wonder about rule of diminishing returns. Really dig the DSD128 conversion of CD rips, musical meaningful upgrade from PCM 4X up sampling. May have reached an optimal sound quality for my room...?

Tone with Soul

Yes, you can use your 2010 Mac Mini as the NAA but it is probably overkill in terms of required processing power. I am using a Cubox-i as my NAA. Miska has an image specifically for the Cubox-i so it is easy to get up and running (copy the image to a microSD card & you are off & running).

Another possible NAA platform being mentioned is the fitlet-b which will be released soon.

The reason for the Cubox-i & fitlet computers, from what I can tell, is that they are fanless, boot from SD card (no HDD or SSD required), low processing chips (less noise).

The computers (server & NAA) are connected via Ethernet. In my case, both computers are connected to a Cisco gigabit switch. Some people are directly connecting the computers via Ethernet (w/o a switch) but using a switch is the usual connection.

There is a NAA thread here on CA.

Eric - Thanks for info...but I still do not understand what an NAA platform is or does, what setting one up entails, what are the parts and wires....

Tried reading the NAA thread and HQPlayer manual...uses terminology that is Greek to me, like when you say "copy the image to a microSD card", I think "image of what?"...

So, if someone would say:

Step 1 - You need these parts

Step 2 - Then you hook them up in this order with these cables

Step 3 - Then you install this software here and here

Step 4 - Then you play unconverted CD rips in DSD128, and it sounds better than my Mini sweating it's balls off doing all that math on the fly whilst its sending data to my Mytek

Tone with Soul

OK, think I get it. The NAA is just to remove processor noise from reaching DAC. Thought it was to have computer #1 upsample from PCM to DSD and computer 2 play the file, after it has been upsampled. Wrong, the NAA gets data from Compter 1 and acts as transmitter, sans noise which is lost traveling on ethernet cable to NAA.

NAA sends music to DAC...it seems like a way to buffer/intercept noise, as opposed to create new DSD files (dirty work) on one computer and have the next one memory play the file (clean work) connected to the DAC.

Been using the -2s filters...no stutter, unless I search for files on HDD whilst DSD128 file is playing.

Tone with Soul

Sorry, but I think you still have the first part backwards. The computer running HQ Player Desktop is always the one with the processor load--from either upsampling/dithering PCM>PCM or sigma-delta modulating PCM (or DSD64) to high-rate DSD. If there is an NAA client on the network it receives the already converted, high-rate stream.

That's why you can get away with minimal processing-power devices such as CuBox-i as an NAA. And that is the point: very little goes on on the NAA device. But for best results you still want the NAA device to have clean power and decent signal-integrity from its USB output (a weakness of the CuBox in my experience).

Thanks, I think I got it. So, if the NAA device is "weak", then you have taken processor noise out of the picture, but may have introduced other issues as DSD file is delivered to DAC.

Tone with Soul

Listening to a recording I know well, that has extraordinarily well-recorded acoustic jazz with focus on stand up bass in mix, Christian Mc Bride's "Getting' to it".

Playing it in HD DSD 128 from a CD rip...it just sounds so real, clear, detailed and musical. The instruments like piano and trumpet are lifelike with real energy but no glare, one tune features and extended drum part with brushes that is amazing in its detail and another that is and acoustic bass duet that moves in the room.

Miska, you have given me a "new" music collection for $150! All 2,200 CD rips. Extraordinarily sweet. Can't thank you enough.

Still worried about running my Mac at 60% CPU...should I?

Tone with Soul

Corning USB 3 optical cable

So, you are suggesting this USB to connect my Mini to the Mytek and, I guess, use FW to connect external HD-RAID1 with Mini.

Issues: Do not require 10 meter USB; adding electric signal to optical and optical to electric converters introduce problems/challenges/potential noise issues; will this act like the NAA approach immunizing DAC from Mac Mini processor noise?

Tone with Soul

Tried the ASD7 filter, seemed to close things down a bit versus ASDMS...and the CPU usage was up 10 points on my Mini from 59% to @69%, if that makes sense? But using a 2010 2Core Mini and a Mytek DSD192...so my mileage will differ.

Listening to some Diana Krall and the piano, archtop jazz box sound freakin' great...as does her voice, like she is in the room. Lots of energy and body.

Great player...just in case you are new to thread. Have PM and A+...both nice, but this PCM to DSD is another planet!

Tone with Soul

Hey 57Gold, do you mind posting your settings? I am using a 2009 mac mini with very similar specs to yours and would love to see what's working well for you. I'm just starting off with HQPlayer.

Settings for playing CD rips on DSD128 from Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel 2Core with OS X 10.9.5 Firewire to Mytek DSD192:

Channels 2

Ch. offset 0

SDM Pack DoP

2wire Check

DAC bits 32

Poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2

ASDM5

SDM

Have not monkeyed around much, but this sounds pretty sweet to me.

Tone with Soul

Getting some clicking between tracks, seems to click twice on one speaker then on the other, back and forth for a bit, particularly when there is a longer pause between tracks, what gives?

Also, never seen the word convolution before, in plain speak, what is this all about?

Thanks.

Tone with Soul

The latest beta is trying to address possibly related issue. Which version of HQPlayer are you using? Is this between tracks of same sampling rate.

Convolution is commonly used to apply digital room correction filters, created with tools like Acourate or Audiolense. It is a generic method to apply externally created filter.

3.6.1 Tracks all same sampling rate, like same CD rip between songs.

Thanks...looked up the word on web and found references to the use of models of reverberance in a room for audio processing.

Tone with Soul

• 3 weeks later...
Might be a dumb question: Tidal, can I play Tidal files on HQPlayer converted to DSD 128?

Follow up question: Does playing Tidal files (CD quality) sound as good as CD rips from an HD using HQPlayer converting to DSD 128?

Tone with Soul

Have another question, which will demonstrate the breadth of the membership of this community.

I'm digging CD rips up converted by HQP to DSD128. My player is nice, but it isn't the Exasound or the others with stuff like femto clocks...so, here is the question: Does a feature like a low jitter femto clock effect playback of a DSD file?

I really have no understanding of DSD beyond the fact that DSD files have a hugely increased sample rate, not sure what features are important in their playback.

Thanks.

Tone with Soul