IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi Miska,

I was using i9-9900k @5Ghz to run poly-sinc-xtr, ASDM7,  44.1k x 512, the sound quality was terrific and my PC could play music smoothly without stuttering, but the CPU usage was around 50%. I tried to turn on cuda offload in Hqplayer but my GTX 1080 could not handle it (with 100% GPU usage), the music stuttered.

So I decided to bought a Quadro K6000 for CUDA offload.

Now I have both GTX1080 and K6000 running in my PC. But when I turn on CUDA offload in HQplayer, the GPU usage of K6000 is 100% but the sound still stuttered (same as cuda offload to GTX 1080 before).

It's weired since the K6000's double-precision should be much more powerful  than the 9900k and GTX 1080.

I've downloaded and installed Cuda Toolkit from Nvidia.

Did I miss something? I tried to turn on K6000's double-precision in Nvidia control panel but I could not found this option. Does it matter?

Appreciate if I can have you input.

Many Thanks.

ztz

2145142065_gpgpuGTX1080vsK6000.png.9d8af5153118749804b3d87cc159c0dd.png1455671297_gpgpuK6000vs9900k.png.78ddfffa5c683d810c834236c446a167.png

10 hours ago, Miska said:

What settings are you trying to run there?

First GPU I have that can do poly-sinc-xtr from 44.1k and 48k to 44.1x512 is RTX2080. What particular improvement in the GPU architecture made that happen, I don't know. (Turing is sort of cost-optimized version of Volta) Maybe it is related to this new feature although I don't do so much integer, but memory address calculations are part of integer though:

• concurrent execution of integer and floating point operations

Not sure how much latency they had earlier for switching between the two. Also memory access speeds have been improving all the time.

Problem is just that synthetic benchmarks don't correlate very well with real world applications. Kepler is older architecture, so it doesn't have all the features of for example Volta. In benchmarks for example there's usually single task running on GPU with fairly small data set and no communication with CPU. While HQPlayer has somewhat larger data set and runs multiple GPU tasks in parallel and actively communicates with the CPU. Multitasking is one area where Nvidia has been improving in recent generations.

This is not necessary... You only need latest drivers.

I don't think so, if HQPlayer runs on the GPU then it is all fine from that perspective. There's no such option, all the features are always enabled.

This is my settings:

blob.thumb.png.a23fb2673dea8d46c658634885efa5e6.pngblob.png.61ef70e933cdff5f23a56613675325fd.png

• 4 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 1:43 AM, k6davis said:

The 3900x is new. I haven't seen anyone post about its performance with HQP, but for the CPUs that have been on the market for a while, Intel has outperformed AMD - for HQP.

As you can read in chip reviews all over the web, AMD's chips have certain strengths over Intel in general multi-threaded processing, but those haven't resulted in better HQP performance than Intel.

Thanks for your input.

Any idea on 8700k vs 9700k for HQP? Which one is better?

5 hours ago, k6davis said:

You're welcome.

You're new to the forum, so I'm going to assume you're new to HQP too. The answer about what kind of server hardware is best for you really depends on how far you want to take things. HQP can produce excellent sound with modest hardware and on the other end of the scale, it can take advantage of all of the computing power you can throw at it to sound its best.

Do you intend to use HQP for DSD upsampling? If so, then to what rate?

Thanks for you reply.

I bought HQP 3 around 2 years ago and I've being using 9900K @ 5GHZ to upsample music to DSD 512 without problem.

Recently I decided to build a hifi system in my sitting room therefore I need to build another Windows PC for it.

I'd like to figure out 9700k vs 8700k which one has better performance in HQP (8c8t vs 6c12t) when upsampling to DSD 512 or even higher.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, 521ztz said:

Hi Miska, I've connected my hqplayer PC to a NAA, still fail to play the music in Hqplayer.

Each time when I click a song, it shows 'processing time:xxxx s'.

image.thumb.png.b6aea28e227b6c8dce2d78519fe7b16c.png

It seems I cannot even change the settings under 'SDM Defaults'. I tried to change but when I click 'OK' and enter the setting again, it still keeps the previous settings.