IGNORED

HQ Player

This is my first post on CA (but I'm a long-time lurker). I want to use it to say a *big thanks* to Miska for creating such an awesome product. I bought a licence after approximately 10 mins of listening with dropped jaw ;-)

For anyone like me new to this game, let me reassure you that it's not as daunting to set up Roon & HQP as you might imagine. Yesterday, I managed to get both systems up & running on a mid-2012 MacMini, starting with Roon & then adding HQP. It took me about 10 mins to set everything up (having first consulted various quick start guides on the inter web, esp. http://soundgalleries.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hqplayer.pdf).

I have also managed just fine with a pretty basic spec Mac Mini. It stores my 400gig library on a 500gig drive, runs both software products and up-samples to DSD128, all on a basic 1.4GHz i5 chip with just 4 gig memory. The Mac runs at about 50% of cpu utilised. USB output goes to a Wyred4Sound Regen and then into a BMC PureDAC.

The system works like a charm and the music has never sounded so clear, natural and engaging. Now I plan to explore with the various filters on offer (I'm using the 2s poly-sinc for the moment). But I'm eagerly waiting to receive a uRendu from the Sonore dudes in their June shipment. I will be in touch to let you know how that goes!

Nikko

I'm having trouble getting HQ Player to convert PCM to DSD.

I have a Mac mini i7 running Roon core and HQ Player and a Linux PC running Roon bridge and NAA. DSD plays perfectly through Roon Bridge but I don't get any sound through HQ Player....just silence....even though Roon and HQ Player say they are outputting 24/192 PCM. Even DSD files are silent but Roon and HQ Player say they are outputting 24/192 PCM.

Below are some of my settings. What am I doing wrong???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26587[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26588[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26590[/ATTACH]

Many thanks.

Take a look at your third screen capture - the HQP desktop. You will see four drop down boxes in a row. Set the fourth one to read SDM (DSD). That is how you select DSD up sampling.

FWIW, I use DSD7 as the modulator and poly-sinc-2s for oversampling. I select bit rate to 5644800 which corresponds to DSD128, the max my DAC can handle. I got my setup tips from here: http://soundgalleries.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hqplayer.pdf

Good luck.

Nikko

Thanks Nikko. So simple.

This is why I love CA much more than reading instruction manuals.

You're very welcome. You may also get something out of this thread, where the author of HQP discusses the use of filters.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/hqplayer-resampling-filter-setup-guide-ordinary-person-13298/

Note his comments on the setting of volume to -3db. I found I could only change it by first selecting "Auto" in the fourth drop down (when no music is playing, of course), changing from 0db to -3db, then selecting back to SDM (DSD).

• 9 months later...

Hi Jussi

I'm using the latest bits with the new poly-sinc-xtr-2s and am loving it. But I have a Q. When playing redbook, the system up samples to DSD128. When playing FLAC 96k 24 bit, Roon reports instead DSD64x48. What gives? Just curious - still sounds fab.

Thx

N

• 1 year later...

Hi Jussi

I upgraded to 3.22.1 and I find that when streaming music from Tidal (via Roon) I get stuttering.  When I revert back to an older release that I have hanging around (3.20.4) it works fine again.  The last version that I had running successfully was 3.21.0 but I deleted that by accident.  So I'm wondering whether you can give me a download link for 3.21.0 because that sounds better than 3.20.4 IMHO and I don't have the time to get the 22 series debugged.

This is for OS X.

Thanks

Nikko

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around today with 16M upsampling redbook to DSD128.  Works a treat on a late 2014 Mac Mini with 3Ghz Intel core i7 and no stuttering.  Activity monitor shows around 40% cpu utilisation.  By contrast, poly-since-xtr-mp runs at about 48% utilisation and no stuttering.

As for SQ, I still can't get anything to sound better to my ears than poly-sinc-short-mp.

Nikko

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, craighartley said:

You set the 1 x filter as the filter you want to use for Red Book and other 44.1 or 48k recordings.

You set the N x filter as the filter you want to use for recordings with higher sampling rates.

It gives you the opportunity to set two different filters for different situations.

Craig, hi, it's Nick Harmer here!

I decided to buy Jussi's new release and now I'm trying to make sense of it.  Fortunately, it's not too difficult getting it to work with Roon & my UltraRendu.  But I'm a bit confused as to what filters to choose for high rez vs redbook.

In HQP3, my go-to filter/modulator choice has been poly-since-ext2/DSD5.  I currently have HQP4 set up with this combo for both 1x and Nx.  I have an older DAC that only accepts DSD128 so I upsample everything to that over DoP.  I think you're a bit ahead of me on all things connected with HQP.  Do you have any suggestions for the Nx choice please?

Hope all is well.  Will look you up the next time I come to Cambs and you're welcome to do likewise if you venture near north Wilts!

Best

Nick

- Jussi, thanks for your continued efforts and I'm happy to be able to support you!

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Hi Nick!!

We really ought to find another excuse than this for meeting up!!

It would be good if others could contribute thoughts about how best to make use of this new split function. I'm not the best to comment, and of course there's nothing wrong with sticking to -ext2 for everything, but you could experiment with some of the non-anodising filters (closed form, etc) for hi-res (Nx) on the basis that you might stand a chance that those files have fewer of the ills that an apodising filter is trying to cure.

Another benefit of the two different settings is that you can set the -2s version of a favourite filter for 1x, and the non-2s version for Nx, so you don't have to wait an age while a long filter sets itself for 1x stuff.

All the best

Craig

Yup - couldn't agree more.  

I'm having some nice results using the -MQA-LP filter for Nx if that's any help!

Best

N

13 minutes ago, tedwoods said:

HQP4 is certainly a step up in SQ over the previous version.

The sound is more expansive with more distinctive reverb trail-offs , provides more insight into the recordings, since it unearths layers upon layers of low-level detail  and also sounds more dynamic with more overall kick and clear differentiation in the attack of plucked and picked instruments.

I have installed server only and I control everything via HQPD Control.

Suits my needs just fine and works like  a charm...

Congrats, Jussi!

I couldn't agree more.  It look me listening to approximately half a track to realise just what a jump in quality the new release delivers.  The first thing I noticed was improvements to bass extension and definition, and then with the ability to select the MQA filters for high rez music, how much more relaxed the music sounds.

Well worth the money, highly recommended, and I'm really happy to support Jussi and his excellent product.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, lucretius said:

In the 2 years of ownership of HQPlayer3, I did not see any significant updates to the program

Nonsense - Jussi has released many new filters in that time.  Which is where the action is.

I honestly don't get why people whine about the cost of HQP when, in my case at least, its about 1%-2% of the overall cost of my system, and yet such an enabling component.  My advice: get a life!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 5:09 PM, bobflood said:

Jussi, 

Since 4.0.4 I have been having problems with playback suddenly stopping. I know that 4.0.4 includes some NAA changes but I don't know if this is the cause. It has become very sensitive to the buffer setting. Too high or low and playback won't start. At 50ms it does work but will still stop without apparent reason.

I have both Roon and HQP together on a Win 10/1903 machine. This machine has a Z370i MB (Turbo and Performance Modes engaged), i5 8400 6 Cores (clocked to 3.8Ghz) and 16GB RAM.

Are there any Ethernet settings that could be involved such as TX and RX buffers?

I am hoping this will be resolved with 4.0.5. I did not have an issue with 4.0.3.

Thanks,

Bob

Jussi - I have this problem too (running 4.0.4) and auto for the buffer.  With an ultra rendu NAA via a bridged ethernet/thunderbolt adapter, and a direct wired ethernet run to the NAA.

Sometimes, the fault takes the entire mac mini off network forcing a re-boot.  Very strange.

N

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Jussi

OMG - just taken your new Sinc-L filter for a first outing and what a smile it has brought to my face.  I found that it stutters on my setup at DSD128 so I've had to drop down to x64 to make things play.  But so much more "presence" than my previous fav, ext2.  It's addictive, as others have pointed out.

Thank you so much!

N

Hi Jussi

I am now hopelessly addicted to sinc-L and for my ageing Mac Mini this means throttling back upsampling from DSD128 to x64. Now, google tells me that I can plug an external graphics card into the thunderbolt port of the Mac Mini. Do you think this would supply the necessary processing power I need?

thx

nikko

• 7 months later...

I greatly appreciate the efficiency gains in 4.9.2 desktop.  When Sinc-L was introduced it replaced ext2 as my go-to, but the price was that I had to reduce DSD upsampling from x128 to x64 as my Mac Mini started stuttering with x128.  Not any more.  The fan may be maxed out on the Mini but the music is back to sublime at x128.  Thanks, Jussi!

2 hours ago, k6davis said:

Would you and @Nikko1960 share more about what CPU/GPU are you're using and what it's capable of using Sinc-L? 

Sure, no probs.  I have a late 2014 Mac Mini with 3GHz Intel core i7, 16 gig RAM running Mojave. The computer has a 1TB HDD but I keep this dismounted and instead boot the computer off a high performance SD card.

Are you upsampling high-res PCM to DSD? Using an EC modulator? Using 48x? To what bitrate?

I have Sinc-L chosen as my red-book filter and use poly-sinc-mqa-lp for higher rez content.  Both use DSD5EC as the modulator.  I upsample to DSD128, which is the maximum that my BMC PureDac can handle.  The Mac Mini can barely run Sinc-L and Roon at the same time.  To the point where, if I access Roon on my iPhone whilst playing music, it stutters as Roon processes the request.  So I'm right on the edge of what is possible with this processor.  Before Jussi's latest release, I could only manage DSD64 but something has become more efficient.

I plan to replace the Intel Mac Mini with the latest M1 version (minimum spec), as I'm planning to upgrade the DAC to a Lampi Amber 3 which can accept up to DSD512.  I think the M1 is good for DSD256 from what I read here.

I'm away from home right now and can't listen for myself, but I gather from your posts that you both feel that Sinc-L is worth using even if you need to reduce you bitrate to use it? 

Definitely, for me at least.  YMMV.  Happy listening!

Thanks.

A question for the collective please.

Is anyone using HQP with a Lampizator DAC please?  I have a Baltic 3 on order, hopefully arriving next week.  Unlike my current DAC, which is limited to DSD128, the new one accepts up to DSD512.  Since I like using the DSD5EC/Sinc-L combo, I was about to order a basic spec M1 Mac Mini to upsample to DSD256.  That seems to be as far as we can go with current CPU tech and the EC modulators.

However, the Lampi dealer was telling me not to bother, that PCM works much better with Lampis.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

2 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

That will be a personal preference.  Before buying, I was able to audition a Lampi Atlantic with both the PCM and the DSD module.  I purchased a Golden Atlantic with only the DSD engine.  I feel the Lampizator with HQPlayer feeding it DSD512 is better.  And EC modulators at DSD256 is better.  It just depends on the source material and your system.  Does the dealer even know about HQP, or does he have experience with other upsampling software?

Not sure, TBH.  I mentioned to the dealer that I use Roon/HQP on my Mini, feeding an UltraRendu (via an EtherRegen switch) into my DAC.  His opinion was to use HQP, without any upsampling whatsoever, to output a redbook PCM USB stream into a USB re-clocker (which he also sells), and from there into the Lampi.  This solution wouldn't work for me in any case because I have all the computer kit well away from the listening room with ethernet running between the two locations.  And I'm pretty sure that my UltraRendu re-clocks the USB in any case so I don't need another reclocker.

His main point was that, in his opinion, native PCM (albeit fronted by HQP rather than directly from Roon) sounds better with Lampi than upsampled DSD.  Hence my question to this experienced group.

How do you like your Golden Atlantic?

Thx

Nick