IGNORED

HQ Player

• 2 months later...

<...> I am now fully convinced that HQP is the more musically truthful player. And this leaving aside the better filters of HQP as I made a lot of comparison between A+/HQP with all SRC turned off (playing both Redbook and hi-res tracks). With the same comparison earlier last month (with 3.4 beta 6) I was feeling like A+ was doing a somewhat better job "bypassing" CoreAudio and that HQP had a little bit of a "veil" to it. Maybe it is the version change or maybe I am just starting to hear and understand more, but I don't feel that way anymore. (I still wish for a XMOS compatible ASIO driver so we can use HQP with ASIO as back-end.) I do need to listen to the release versions of A+ 2.x. My last listen to any newer-gen A+ build was to the 2.x beta called 1.9.0.3.

Once I turn on HQP's Polysinc-short filter, all need for comparison (to A+) ends for me.

Fully agree. I had quite similar assessment when first tried HQP beta sometime ago. The sound was pleasant, but... "veiled". Nevertheless, something was immediately planted deeply within me, and I've been returning to HQP again and again. Its sound was strangely attractive, and, simultaneuosly, "not right" in comparison with both Amarra and A+. Now, after HQP became my reference and first choice player for many weeks, both Amarra and A+ started to sound... not right. Probably, as it was said by Alex: "maybe I am just starting to hear and understand more".

Well, my suggestion to those who will try HQP for the first time. Stop listening to other players, forget HOW they sound, wash you ears and purge your perception thoroughly. Listen to HQP and stay clean from ANY comparisons. Give its sound a time to grow within you. You will be glad you did.

So my strategy will be to convert individual albums <...>
That's exactly what I did with Amarra and do with HQP presently. When I do not care about quality much I drag and drop any format files to A+ 1.x. When I do care, I convert individual album (if it not compatible with HQP or Amarra) before each listening and trash converted files after.
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried beta on two computers, both with Yosemite.

1 - Y clean installed, system files and HQP only. HQP beta installed alongside registered 3.4.1 - beta operates fine, drag'n'drop works.

2 - Y installed over Mavericks, no previous HQP versions - run non-registered beta for trial, drag'n'drop doesn't work.

Hope it helps.

Tried beta on two computers, both with Yosemite.

1 - Y clean installed, system files and HQP only. HQP beta installed alongside registered 3.4.1 - beta operates fine, drag'n'drop works.

2 - Y installed over Mavericks, no previous HQP versions - run non-registered beta for trial, drag'n'drop doesn't work.

Hope it helps.

Update: it has nothing to do with different ways of system installation. Some flacs could be added to beta's playlist by drag'n'drop, some not....

Hi to everyone, a newbie here. I am using the trial version of HQ Player before I purchase it to make sure I find it to be as great sounding in my system as other have in theirs. But I have been having a few difficulties so I need to ask for some help and guidance.

When I tried HQP for the first time ever I didn't notice volume control dial on the right top was in far left position - no sound at all...
It is not disk drive activity either. The internal SSD is unmounted. The OS is on a SD card and HQP and the music files are on RAM disks.

I have occasional dropouts with the same setting. System on sd card, ssd unmounted - this is my standart setting for many months now, mac mini only for music. Dropouts started after upgrade to Yosemite OR after HQP upgrade to 3.5.x - I can not specify here. I listen PCM files. Poly-sinc shrt / NS5. Some albums plays well, some not, I can not see pattern here. My guess (only guess) is 16/44 files are ok.