IGNORED

Merging HAPI as ASIO output device

I was reading the MT discovery software, and rather bewildered about the detail in setting up a Dell managed switch. Reading between the lines, the Dell's the only switch that works on a Ravenna network? It's possible to wire in direct from the PC to the HAPI and circumvent the use of the Dell switch.

May have to find another solution to transmitting DSD, like USB.

Yes, it is possible to wire in direct from PC to Hapi through Bonjour protocol.

It is part of Merging driver but, if you use Win Server, you need to install it separately.

It's worth pointing out that there is another difference between Hapi and NADAC which its due to slightly different firmware.

On a 8ch NADAC it is possible to employ all internal 8 converters in 2ch mode for stereo playback for a slight increase in S/N ratio. In software one sets output Ch1-3-5-7 -> Ch1 and Ch2-4-6-8 ->Ch2.

On a Hapi, although theoretically possible, Merging has blocked this feature - I suppose to differentiate the two products.

This is a shame because it leaves a user with two options: either to playback stereo signal using 2 converters instead of the possible internal 8 for a slight decrease in quality, or to process a stereo signal as 8ch, which increases a lot cpu usage, and then hard-wire Hapi output with a 8ch->2ch device like this:

2015-013.jpg

PS: I believe that Hapi uses different D/A chips...ES9016 perhaps

It's worth pointing out that there is another difference between Hapi and NADAC which its due to slightly different firmware.

On a 8ch NADAC it is possible to employ all internal 8 converters in 2ch mode for stereo playback for a slight increase in S/N ratio. In software one sets output Ch1-3-5-7 -> Ch1 and Ch2-4-6-8 ->Ch2.

On a Hapi, although theoretically possible, Merging has blocked this feature - I suppose to differentiate the two products.

This is a shame because it leaves a user with two options: either to playback stereo signal using 2 converters instead of the possible internal 8 for a slight decrease in quality, or to process a stereo signal as 8ch, which increases a lot cpu usage, and then hard-wire Hapi output with a 8ch->2ch device like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29378[/ATTACH]

PS: I believe that Hapi uses different D/A chips...ES9016 perhaps

Correction:

the highlighted sentence is not totally right.

If channel mapping is done before any dsp, cpu usage is not high. So it depends on music player if it has that function.

I was thinking of HQPlayer where channel mapping is done after dsp.

However, it is better supported by hardware manufacturer in driver.

Dear Bilbo,

Merging has not blocked this feature, and even less to differentiate the two products... because there was no plan to design a NADAC one day when we designed Hapi and Horus...

If Hapi cannot enjoy this feature it is only because the hardware layout doesn't allow for it, and this is actually one of the reasons why we designed a completely new circuitry for NADAC... but only one of the reasons.

Cheers,

Dominique

Hi Dominique,

thanks for your reply.

We already went over this subject in a private conversation about one year ago.

I did compare Hapi with Nadac.

In my view Hapi is very correct and professional. Some audiophiles would say "cold", with few harmonics, but in reality is simply correct and neutral.

Nadac is more pleasing, bass has slightly more body, harmonics are more noticeable, sound-stage is wider. Indeed Nadac has more 2nd and 4th order distortion that's why is more euphonic. It has selective phase rotation on certain medium and high frequencies that's why the sound-stage gets wider.

Dear Bilbo,

Merging has not blocked this feature, and even less to differentiate the two products... because there was no plan to design a NADAC one day when we designed Hapi and Horus...

If Hapi cannot enjoy this feature it is only because the hardware layout doesn't allow for it, and this is actually one of the reasons why we designed a completely new circuitry for NADAC... but only one of the reasons.

Cheers,

Dominique

Hi Dominique,

You make it sound that it cannot be done because that is how Hapi is designed in hardware; however, it is possible in software. Indeed, some friends of mine have developed an ASIO player that does channel mapping (L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R) and sends stereo signal to Hapi an all 8 channels. It works!

• 5 weeks later...

It is unfortunately too small for my to make very much out, but it would appear to have four DAC chips. Or maybe one DAC chip. Merging's website doesn't seem to say very much about what they have used. Probably the only way to tell would be to look at it closely and listen for yourself what the differences are. Others in this thread have compared the Hapi/Horus to the NADAC and report that the NADAC sounds better. I haven't done the comparison myself, so I don't know.

Not in my report! :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bmoura said:

I'd agree on sound quality.  But on price, they have been topped by a number of high end DACs.

And that trend is likely to continue based on the pricing of new DACs in the home market.

Perhaps in terms of DAC, but with their Ultra Low Noise clock at 40.000euro they are catching up pretty fast in terms of price.