IGNORED

A Tribute to Jack Johnson

Wow... Early Christmas present here. One of my favorite albums.

Any chance anyone has already downloaded and know anything about the quality??

Thanks...in advance

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

.Nope we were waiting on you!

BTW Did you know if you have the 2005 CD, it has a HDCD encoding, if you rip the HDCD encode to 24-bit files you'll get a Peak extension with more dynamic range. From DR8 to DR12 and the improvement is really noticeable.

And at Superhirez they have also released some Miles Davis, Sketches of the Spain, Miles Smiles, On the Corner and Filles De Kilimanjaro.

I got it... Started to listen, and got about 20 min in until my 3 kids were running around the room (loving the music, but their excitement made listening difficult -- although awesome to see my kids loving this)

I don't have a DR analyzer, but first take is that it sounds awesome. Can hear fingers on strings kind of stuff.

I am not sure how it was recorded but find the stereo possibly artificial?? The drums are far right in the channel and McLaughlin's riffs far to the left. Perhaps they really were that far apart, but I doubt it.

Whether or not it's a worthwhile purchase depends on many things. I would need to A-B it with my CD rip (1992 Columbia Digital Remaster) to really see if the HD Tracks version offered much more.

It is also hard to separate awesome, awesome music from awesome recording. In other words, this might sound good at 256 Kbps. It is just so amazing to listen to, that you lose track of stuff like recording quality (and that is a truly great thing - to be lost in the music)--but perhaps not so helpful for an objective assessment of a recordings quality in a forum-- I confess to being fairly biased

So, without more dedicated listening and A-B'ing I can't objectively say how the download compares to a CD Rip---But, that being said it remains a truly anazing listen

I will try and compare side by side later when the kids are outside

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

I downloaded it last night also. It sounds like the mastering and mix of the 2005 issue, and sounds in similar in quality to that CD with HDCD decoded. Mainly tighter bass and less destortion on McLaughlin's guitar and less compression.

I believe the session was meant to sound raw & rough. It was literally on the spot. Miles wasn't even present when it started. Hancock and McLaughlin decided to start a jam session on their own, and Miles walks in on the middle of it and without saying a word just started playing with them. They improved for several hours and later Teo Marcero had to edited all the best moments together for an LP issue.