IGNORED

Does anyone have this issue when playing music on a Hi-Res Players

I use one pc in my office for pretty much everything.

When i had the dragonfly, everything played fine, whether i was using playing from audiogate, youtube, or anything for that matter, but that isn't the case after installing drivers for a new external dac.

For the purpose of this question i will use foobar as my example, but the same thing happens whether i use jriver, audiogate, or foobar....

For the output settings, i selected ASIO for the DSD USB DAC so i can get better sampling rates.

The hi-res files sound great. But the problem is when i try to go back to regular audio (not using the hi-res player), i have to restart my sound drivers (by logging off, disabling/re-enabling, or other method).

Is there anyone that switches back and forth between using a hi-res player and regular pc audio, and do you have this same problem? I have the problem no matter which hi-res audio player i use, if i configure it for ASIO driver.

Hi Mike,

Try setting your Sony DAC as the default sound device. To do this go to the Windows Control Panel and select "Sound". Right click on the Sony DAC and select "Set as Default Device".

Also make sure that enhancements are disabled and exclusive mode is enabled. To do this, right click on the Sony DAC and select "Properties", select the Enhancements Tab and check "Disable All Enhancements". Now click the Advanced Tab and check both items under "Exclusive Mode". Click "Apply" and then "OK".

Hopefully that will help.

I use Jriver and Wasapi and have no problems switching from hi-res to other and back. I use a usb dac, 192/24.

Chris

If i use the wasapi driver, i can switch back and forth no problems either.

but when i use wasapi though, it doesn't seem to allow me to upsample the output. it seems i can only upsample when i use asio?

Is there something i am doing wrong or?? i see i have both options wasapi or asio, but the asio seems to give me more options.

hmmm....just a sec...i will doublecheck...it seems to allow me to change the output sample now...maybe i changed another setting...man, jriver has so many options...

If i use the wasapi driver, i can switch back and forth no problems either.

but when i use wasapi though, it doesn't seem to allow me to upsample the output. it seems i can only upsample when i use asio?

Is there something i am doing wrong or?? i see i have both options wasapi or asio, but the asio seems to give me more options.

hmmm....just a sec...i will doublecheck...it seems to allow me to change the output sample now...maybe i changed another setting...man, jriver has so many options...

Man there is a ton of stuff in this jriver...they should have a beginners version (grin).

well jriver seems to be working now..i must have changed some other setting...before it wouldn't allow me to change the output like asio did...but i probably tried 100 things since i tried that last (grin).

I have to play with this some more..i am sure i will have more questions regarding the output.

..what do you select your output for wav files?

..Also what is advantages/disadvantages to using the wasapi (reminds me of the sushi horseradish) or asio?

Hi Mike,

Try setting your Sony DAC as the default sound device. To do this go to the Windows Control Panel and select "Sound". Right click on the Sony DAC and select "Set as Default Device".

Also make sure that enhancements are disabled and exclusive mode is enabled. To do this, right click on the Sony DAC and select "Properties", select the Enhancements Tab and check "Disable All Enhancements". Now click the Advanced Tab and check both items under "Exclusive Mode". Click "Apply" and then "OK".

THanks, i got it working, but i will check those settings are my default too...thanks!

Hi Mike,

Ok

1. the dac was set as default already.

2. Those other settings must be driver dependent as i don't have any of those options.

I did notice one setting though says to give application exclusive control over it...so that should satisfy whatever jriver settings are set (i hope -grin)

Whatever it is doing, upsampling, dsd, dsee, or whatever it is doing, it is making everything sound much better all around, but most apparent is the bass sound much better!

This is so cool! It just wants me to try more and more of my faves!

sony3.jpg

sony1.jpg

sony2.jpg

Ok

I did notice one setting though says to give application exclusive control over it...so that should satisfy whatever jriver settings are set (i hope -grin)

Yes, you should have the 2 items under exclusive mode checked.

The sample rate and bit depth you select for shared mode won't matter as your software (JRiver) will determine the the sample rate and bit depth output.

Wasapi, Asio and kernel streaming are essentially the same in terms of audio quality as they are all ways of getting around the much maligned (at one time) Windows mixer. I don't think JRiver offered an Asio option until recently.

I'd probably stick with Wasapi as it's, in my experience, the easiest to deal with. I swore by kernel streaming initially, but it's more glitchy for me so....

Chris

If you go over to the JRiver Wiki, I think they define Wasapi and other stuff there, although their Wiki and info is generally pathetic considering the intricacies and options of their program.

Yes, you should have the 2 items under exclusive mode checked.

The sample rate and bit depth you select for shared mode won't matter as your software (JRiver) will determine the the sample rate and bit depth output.

too many players, bits, bytes, and beer....

I just realized where i saw i couldn't change the sampling rate when i picked asio driver.

Jriver allows me to change the rate using either driver, but the audiogate player won't allow me to change the sample rate using the wasapi driver, but will let me change the sample rate using the asio driver.

ok, next question if anyone has the time to spoon-feed me...

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each sony dac driver (direct, wasapi, asio)?? does any of them limit me in anyway?