IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got my paws on this unit. I'm a Mac guy and the software on this is painful... Transferred 13 tracks in AIFF took an hour via Ethernet wire from Macbook Pro Retina. I can't get it to go WiFi so I can use the app. Perhaps it's because I'm on WPA2 and the Z1es is WPA. :(

The sounds is very good at first listen. I have to compare with my MacBook Pro running iTunes and Amarra.

OK, the Z1es is the real deal. I can overlook the software because it sounds F***ing amazing. Beats every DAC and CDP I own and I own quiet a few including a DAC that cost more than the Sony. If you're looking for the best sound under $5k, the Z1es is the really deal. I can't even listen to my MacBook Pro with DAC anymore because it sounds bad in comparison to the Sony. I honestly didn't really want to like this unit. Now that I've used it, this is audio Hi-Fi is about.

10723335_365580970282589_2000198520_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello -

I am going to look at this unit today at my local dealer. Questions as I am sure they will not be able to answer it. They are the type of dealer who shows equipment but does not want anyone to listen to anything. Anyway -

1. How does the base unit sound. It seems like folks like it but mostly have issues with the software. Hopefully Sony can fix all the issues but do they amount to it being unusable?

1. Gapless playback of ripped CDs? Does it work as expected?

2. I just notice the new firmware supports gapless for DSD. If using a playstation to rip to an SACD.ISO what file format should be use for the Sony DSF or DFF? Do you have to do anything special to get gapless to work?

3. Can the display be tuned completely off - no just dimmed.

4. Are there any blue lights on it? i have come to hate blue lights.

5. Anyone either do the Red Wine or Mod Wright mod? I really like the idea of this level of flexibility and the options here seem really cool. Might be better to get the Sony and do one of these rather than mess with some higher end DAC and computer playback. i like the idea of a component.

Thanks for the input - I learn a lot from this forum.

Richard

I've been using and setting this thing up for a couple of weeks now. I've come to the conclusion that if you view this as a CD changer without the CDs then you'll be happy with the user interface. The sound is very rewarding and worth every $.

It will go on the interweb and find relevant artwork. A long press will save the artwork you want and it will then be available from the edit screen of the App. I use an iPad. You can edit most of the primary metadata. One issue then, though, is that the NAS originals will not then be current.

Any one know what the new "precision oversampling" is all about?

Thank you!!!

I am wondering about all the oversampling stuff.

Compared 2.8MHz DSD vs. 16/44.1kHz CD rips in AIFF. DSD is smoother, but through this player it's not by much. Perhaps the DSD up sampling is doing its magic. :) Thumbs up from me!

• 2 weeks later...
HIFiGuy, would it also be possible to ask your Sony Japan ES contacts whether the Z1 will ever be available in black like the S1?

I am just about to pull the trigger on the Z1 from Sony Canada but would hold off and wait if there were any plans to provide it in black in the near future as everything else in my setup is black...Thanks!

Very unlikely because Z1es was designed by the same designer as the SCD-1. I will ask for you.

10723335_365580970282589_2000198520_n.jpg

• 1 year later...