IGNORED

MacBook Air ALAC to iPod 256k mp3s

jackfish

OK, I'm a 60 year old struggling with this technology. I have a MacBook Air with an iTunes library of ALACs. Today I bought an iPod Classic with the intent of copying the ALAC music off the MacBook Air to the iPod as 256k mp3s. Searching the web has proven futile. I thought this was supposed to be easy? I thank you for any suggestions, resources, or references.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

It actually IS easy, but hidden. There is a preference in iTunes (in the iPod interface summary pane) where you can check a box to do exactly that, and it will do it on the fly. I'll try to make a screenshot.

Here we go:

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 4.33.12 PM.png

This example is set to 128, but you can set it to 256 kbps.

Thank You, once I figured out how to get the iPod setup in iTunes your solution worked.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Glad it worked. On my iPod classic, I think I can put up to 24 bit, 48kHz tracks on it without compressing (toggle off that checkbox and manage music manually). If it bugs you to compress the music like that on an iPod classic (which has a lot of room on the disk), you can manually resample to 24/48. I've never bothered, since I only use it in my car where compression is the very least of the compromises.)