IGNORED

Best Recording To Demo Your System

Please recommend a great recording to truly demo a system. Thank you.

Gillian Welch's "The Harrow and the Harvest;" Rosanne Cash's "The List;" Ottmar Liebert, "Dune;" "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Strawberry Fields" from the Beatles' "Love."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

[*]"Looking for a Home" - Keith Greeninger from "The Blue Coast Collection" - will probably sound even better when I get a DSD-capable DAC instead of transcoding on the fly through Audirvana

It will. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud

How do you find The Beatles "Come Together"? Through my system it is very3D sounding.

I think it's all terrific - Beatles in 24/96 from the Martins, what could be wrong with that? I especially like the two I mentioned because they use less heavily produced alternate takes, allowing John and George's voices to come through very clearly.

• 9 months later...
Hey Jud: Can you point me to that?

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Audio-DVD-The-Beatles/dp/B000JJS8TM

The audio DVD has the 24/96 versions.

Bob Dylan - Everything is Broken (track of Oh Mercy)

For a couple of decades now, "Man in the Long Black Coat" from Oh Mercy has been a track I've used to demo systems. As the track opens, the sound of chirping crickets gradually becomes rhythmic and turns into the rhythm of the beginning of the song (the lyrics of which begin, "Crickets are chirping...."). How smoothly that happens (does the chirping "foretell" the rhythm of the song's intro - good - or does the rhythm of the music come out of a more or less random bunch of chirping crickets - bad) says something about the ability of a system to do microdynamics well.

I didn't realize this either. How does one rip the audio from the dvd?

DVD Audio Extractor.