IGNORED

stream via DLNA, Bluetooth, AirPlay or otherwise...to this component?

Thanks for the updated info! So are you saying that you are getting gapless playback now with MC? ....

Gapless will never work with this unit, as the NAD claims to support it (AVT:SetNextAVTransportURI (gapless play)=Supported) when queried by the CotrolPoint (Asset or MC), but then totally screws up when it receives the SetNext command.

What I get now is reliable sequential playback of long playlists, with a small pause between tracks. That fits my needs just fine, even though I do have a good bit of classical.

So to get this renderer to reliably play L16/44 PCM, your ControlPoint needs to ignore the claim and never send SetNext. My posts in the JRiver forum show how to do that on MC.

----------

Jonathan

Resurrecting old thread to add some important info, as the Google has this thread listed as relevant for 7050-related searches.

I have a new D 7050 and I'm on v1.66 firmware (latest as of posting date).

First, the DLNA implementation is buggy, with the most serious issue being that it advertises that its capable of gapless play, but when feeding it uncompressed PCM, that's not true and it breaks badly. As described by others, the first track will play fine, the second track starts to get garbled and by the third it's just clicks.

Once it gets to the clicks state, its hosed, and must be cold booted (power plug pull).

After many adventures described in this thread over on the JRiver forum Setting up a NAD D 7050 Integrated amp / DLNA renderer with MC, I discovered that if one disables the 'SetNext' support in the DLNA server feeding this client, then it all works well. Still need to force the server to convert any source to 16/44 or 16/48.

For instance, with stock Asset and BubleUPnP app, it failed with the sequence I described, but JRiver MC with that command disabled works perfectly. Asset might have a similar setting, haven't checked.

Thanks for the update on the NAD's current status on gapless support.

Just thought it best to clarify that under standard UPnP, gapless support has nothing to do with the UPnP/DLNA media server and is entirely handled between the UPnP control point and the UPnP renderer. The 'SetNext' command setting within JRiver Media Center that you are referring to is to configure its built-in UPnP control point, not its UPnP/DLNA media server.

JMC so happens to contain all 3 of the main UPnP components in the one application, ie, UPnP/DLNA media server, UPnP control point and UPnP renderer. Unlike JMC, most UPnP/DLNA media servers are just that, 'pure' UPnP media servers without a built-in UPnP control point (or UPnP renderer). One such 'pure' UPnP media server is the Asset UPnP you mentioned. Another is MinimServer. Hence the reason why Asset UPnP (and MinimServer) doesn't have a 'SetNext command' setting, because it's not relevant to UPnP media servers.

The BubbleUPnP Android app is similar to JMC in that it contains a UPnP control point, a UPnP renderer and a UPnP media server. Also, similar to JMC it's UPnP control point issues the SetNextAVTransportURI action to implement gapless support. It's therefore no coincidence that the BubbleUPnP Android app has a similar setting to JMC's enabling/disabling 'SetNext support' for its UPnP control point: Settings>UPnP Tweaks>Enable gapless control.

Gapless will never work with this unit, as the NAD claims to support it (AVT:SetNextAVTransportURI (gapless play)=Supported) when queried by the CotrolPoint (Asset or MC), but then totally screws up when it receives the SetNext command.
Asset UPnP is a UPnP/DLNA media server (only), not a UPnP control point, so cannot issue SetNextAVTransportURI actions - see above.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Asset UPnP is a UPnP/DLNA media server (only), not a UPnP control point, so cannot issue SetNextAVTransportURI actions - see above.

Just to clarify (or confuse further) there is Asset Control (a control point) as well as Asset UPnP (a UPnP server).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Indeed, 'Asset' can of course on its own be interpreted as either of those two distinct applications. Which is why one should try to always post an application's full name when first mentioned in a conversation and use abbreviations thereafter.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Can't thank you guys enough for this thread. Just ordered the NAD D7050 to run my patio speakers via Ethernet from JRMC with JRemote. Added second DLNA server and waiting for my 7050 to arrive.

My unit arrived Monday night in great shape and in original box. Had music playing within 15 minutes of unboxing. Had previously set up new DLNA server in jriver 21 with SetNEXT disabled, L16 no header, everything converted to 44.1Khz, and tied this renderer to this NAD server. Unit came up as zone choice within a minute and everything was playing great, able to advance tracks, go back to tracks. Then I messed things up when I accidentally chose a DSD file and then silence. Had to power off, unplug, and restart the 7050. I use wired Ethernet but music didn't sound great. So it was time to try AirPlay.

Wow is all my ears could say with much better music quality. Was using my iPad and then my iphone6. Music app playing via AirPlay is working perfectly. Downloaded the Nad 7050 app to my iPad and iPhone and was able to see what was going on at unit. The app works perfectly choosing source, adjusting volume, or powering unit off. Just discovered that simply opening my Music app on the iPhone and choosing AirPlay to the Nad, it turns on automatically and automatically sets input to AirPlay. It's now Wednesday night and I'm streaming Pandora via AirPlay to the d7050 and it sounds good. Don't have to worry about transcoding, or DLNA incompatibilities. My Graham Nash pandora station is perfect!

more reporting this weekend as I'm determined to get DLNA figured out reliably.

Hello,

I've got the NAD D7050 for a year and a half now and still enjoying! Streaming music with Airplay is very convenient and easy to do. I use my macbook pro or my iPhone to stream. The sound of the unit is amazingly clear and bright. I use the unit in combination with Audirvana Plus and it sounds great too! I also use the unit for tv sound.

I don't know how compatible DNLA is nowadays, but it wasn't very stable and riable when I was using DNLA on a windows 7 pc in combination with this unit. I've used several (free) plug and play programs like Stream What You Hear, but in the end they all had the same issues; lots of drop-outs or it just didn't work at all. I finally bought Airfoil to stream effortless but you couldn't controle the volume by one decibel at the time (only by 3 steps at the same time or so) that was a minor disadvantage.

Enjoy your unit!

Michel

Music Server(s): Macbook Pro Retina early 2015 - Audirvana+ Qobuz integrated >Music Server Operating System: Mac OS (El Capitan)>Preferred Digital Interface(s): Wireless >Digital to Analog Converter(s): NAD D7050 >Loudspeakers: Dali Ikon 5 MK 2

Hi Michel

Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil uses AirPlay for streaming, not UPnP/DLNA. So you were using AirPlay with the D7050 when streaming from the Windows 7 pc running AirFoil.

John

-- Jo Cox

Hi John,

Thank you. I actualy was referring to the post of Wadeh911 quote;more reporting this weekend as I'm determined to get DLNA figured out reliably. ​Must be using Airfoil instead of using any UPnP/DNLA. Hope that is clear.

Michel

Music Server(s): Macbook Pro Retina early 2015 - Audirvana+ Qobuz integrated >Music Server Operating System: Mac OS (El Capitan)>Preferred Digital Interface(s): Wireless >Digital to Analog Converter(s): NAD D7050 >Loudspeakers: Dali Ikon 5 MK 2

AirFoil is a streaming service. I already have a streaming service in Pandora and don't believe I need another one. The DLNA interface is what I want to work out. After listening to AirPlay input, switched over to

computer source, JRemote to jriver with multiple files up to 24/96 without any problems or clicks or hangups. Did not change anything on jriver side since my choosing a DSD file in error caused havoc a few days ago. Able to push multiple artists and albums to the NAD on Saturday and Sunday without any problems.

My honey do's got in the way of my figuring this out further this weekend. Will try again soon.