IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

First Impression: very weird and dark, but very interesting. Expect a review on my blog tomorrow. And I'm certainly going to buy it when I get back home, so will publish some Musicscope.

Here we go:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/michael-wollny-trio-nachtfahrten-24-96-new-release-act-26071/#post473088

Well, try to imaging how it would sound if had been done with better mastering, when the music could breath and not so close miked? It would be completely different album. For me it's pity that done another way, sorry.

Agree it could be significantly improved, that said, I'm probably personally more tolerant to average recordings than you.

Tingvall Trio, Tingvall Trio: Beat in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

This is the only hi res (24/96) version I could find

Tingvall Trio - Télécharger et écouter les albums.

Almost all are available in 16/44.1 only.

Giovanni Mirabassi - Télécharger et écouter les albums.

Again only one album is available in hires audio

Agree, and Mirabassi's solo album Adelante is nice but not essential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

GoGo Penguin: V2.0

British Jazz Trio from Manchester. Have been enjoying the album immensely.

As the name suggests this is their second album. One of the better albums of the year.

310sIiwIMVL._SY450_.jpg

Review from All About Jazz: GoGo Penguin: v2.0

Thanks again Nikhil. I've just reviewed their latest release, see also here:

GoGo Penguin’s Man Made Object – The True Successor to EST? | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

and here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/gogo-penguin-man-made-object-24-44-a-27542/#post509849

• 1 month later...
I was looking back at my previous post in the thread, this one: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/are-we-living-golden-age-jazz-piano-trio-18603/index4.html#post299997

I mention a label called sans bruit, they moved to Bandcamp, their page is there if anyone is interested: Music | Sans Bruit

Pierre

Thanks Pierre, will check them out!

• 1 month later...
I am not a traditional jazz guy fan but i really like the style of GoGo Pinguin and Neil Cowley Trio. Does anybody have recommendation of other trios with similar style?

thanks

You may also want to check out Phronesis, Rusconi, and The Bad Plus (although I'm personally not a big fan of the latter, but they have their fans). And obviously all Esbjörn Svensson Trio albums.

• 1 month later...
Kevin Whitehead on NPR Music is talking about the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio. I wonder if he has been reading this thread.

Ralph Peterson Proves We're In A Golden Age Of Jazz Piano Trios : NPR

Thanks for sharing. I should probably sue NPR for stealing my nice title :-)

In any case I'll check out Ralph Peterson. Sounds like an interesting album.

Nice review sir. I would give it 3 stars. This may be one of those albums that grows on me in time (as others of his have done). Always enjoy your take Musicophile.

Thanks. I like ballads in general so I'm probably biased. But I saw some other quite positive reviews (FT, Guardian) as well.

In any case, worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22481[/ATTACH]

Ted Rosenthal Trio "My Funny Valentine". I love this album. Nice review here: Ted Rosenthal Trio: My Funny Valentine

Thanks again for flagging. Meant to review this ages ago.

Here we go: https://wordpress.com/stats/day/musicophilesblog.com?startDate=2016-06-17

• 1 month later...
@Musicophile .. just wanted to mention this album has indeed grown on me quite a bit. It's subtlety was a bit lost on me at first listen. Beautiful music. Have you seen the Stereophile review?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/great-piano-trios-fred-hersch-and-brad-mehldau#OOZD2QgpYgASpd1p.97

Hadn't seen it yet, thanks for sharing. And I agree, it is a nice nuanced album. I play it quite regularly. Will buy it when Qobuz has their next discount codes.

• 6 months later...
This is a great album...

Wolfert Brederode Trio: Black Ice. ECM 2476

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32830[/ATTACH]

As a refererece Wolfert Brederode is the pianist on both the Sound Liaison's release "The Old Man And The Sea" and Susanne Abbuehl's albums for ECM.

Also great albums are his two other ECM's releases as a leader and in quartet format.

Thanks and enjoy,

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

@Musicophile -- loving this thread. it's still awesome three years later. been digging the alboran trio (especially meltemi), giovanni mirabassi (especially live at the blue note tokyo), and enrico pieranunzi (listening to live in paris right now).

http://www.tidal.com/album/11084291

All great stuff. I'm really disappointed that the Alboran Trio doesn't play anymore.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, alsterfan said:

This applies to me as well. So I dropped a line to Catalina, who seems to be in charge of the correspondence concerning the Alboran Trio. And this is the answer I got only an hour later:

"

Hi Uwe
Catalina sent me  your email. Many thanks for your interest in Alboran project. Its true that for longtime we had some problems but you have to know that new cd is close to be released. We hope in autumn.
As well we are working to renovate the website.
Check it for the next concerts

All the best

Paolo"

I hope you will read these lines with the same pleasure as I have done.
best wishes,
Uwe

Great! I'll buy it!

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Fortunately this genre of music lends itself to better recordings say from ECM or ACT.

I really haven't seen too many bad recordings in whatever I have in my collection.

The Wolfert Brederode Trio: Black Ice. (ECM) is a stellar DR 14 on most songs.

Not necessarily. ECM tends to be quite good, but ACT has recently released some quite compressed albums. 

Another bad example is the latest Triosence which I will be reviewing shortly is a 9-10 DR affair, not as bad as some pop, but far from where they could be. 

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, JoseL said:

Hi, 

Here is a Spotify playlist of selected tunes from many of the albums recommended on this thread. It is limitted to European jazz and some are not piano trios.

Thanks and enjoy,

https://open.spotify.com/user/joseldls/playlist/5mCzf0iUZL3GBW9kXKjPqr?si=SO2Hl31CQEK-k-MBK7b6Ng

Thanks Jose. Great initiative!

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

There might be some reasons not clear from our side. ACT make some really great recordings. Many in fact.

Agree, it is probably some legal issues, I actualally doubt it is the music. 

If ACT really refuse to do another Alboran recording for purely musical reasons I really would seriously question their judgment.