IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

This is an outstanding thread. I've just discovered a ton of new music that I would never have heard of. Some outstanding pieces in here that have just been playing non-stop in my setup since I got on here a few days ago.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 2 weeks later...
Just took delivery of "Architectures" by the Giovanni Mirabassi Trio.

Do give "Out of Track" a listen. Outstanding work in my opinion.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I'm still surprised amazing artists like the Alboran Trio and Giovanni Mirabassi don't get more international press attention. Maybe being Italian doesn't help. But anyhow, I'm glad others start to appreciate them.

And to give credit where credit belongs: I myself discovered Mirabassi on this forum following a recommendation by Alex (27Globes).

Couldn't agree more. Have been listening to these guys almost non-stop. Liked it so much I passed on the list to a few friends.

Don't worry ... the list is growing!

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you liked it.

It was recorded in a very special piano, the Yamaha of Maria João Pires (the classical piano player) at Belgais (her former "cottage" and school); and the piano is showcasing a rich sound that suite's Bernardo's mood at the time...

The "Indigo" album from Sassetti also was recorded in the same place and instrument, but in that case, a solo work.

Thanks for the intro to Sassetti. Really starting to like his stuff.

Found this while looking him on wikipedia ...

His 2006 album Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon received a four-star rating (of a possible four) in The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.),[6] and was selected for The Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in the 1000 Best Albums.

Would be interested to hear more about this album if you have it.

I don't have it yet...but is more adventurous stuff, inspired by stories and cinema and less melodic (much more emphasis on rhythm)... There was a book accompanying the disc. He plays with grouping "Drumming" (including things like still drums) and more diversified instruments in a intent to "tell a story". The story is about excess (of information, of sound, of art) in our society, and it may be or not a successful communication with the listener...so it's more "demanding". I guess one day I will dive into it.

Besides the ones mention, I recommend "Motion", that absorbs a lot form the cinema world of Sassetti (he was a cinema fan) and motion pictures...Easy on surface, very imaginative...grows in you in each listening.

Sassetti was multifaceted, and one of his projects was "3 pianos", having 3 other players on stage (one of them, Laginha, another of our best ones) was interesting...

Maybe we could her some echos of Debussy and Satie in this lovely piece...

Very interesting. Pity we lost him early ... beautiful music!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I revisited the original list on Musicophile's first post and happened to looked up Tingvall Trio!!

Absolutely great stuff. Really like their style of music ... massive images mixed with interesting contrasts in styles. Elements of Rock mixed with Jazz as well as beautifully crafted "Scandinavian" imagination.

Would like to add "Vägen" to the list compiled earlier.

Vägen | Tingvall Trio

1313404092_tingvall-trio-vagen-2011.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

GoGo Penguin: V2.0

British Jazz Trio from Manchester. Have been enjoying the album immensely.

As the name suggests this is their second album. One of the better albums of the year.

310sIiwIMVL._SY450_.jpg

Review from All About Jazz: GoGo Penguin: v2.0

FYI, early next year will be the release of Giovanni Mirabassi's new album No Way Out.

Discovered Mirabessi thanks to this thread. Has become a favorite.

Look forward to it very much!

• 3 months later...
... the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio, which is actually my #1 favorite. His album Midnight Sugar is by now generally considered to be a classic.

+1 Fantastic music. Possibly among the best jazz recordings out there.

• 1 month later...
Glerum Omnibus and the Neil Cowley Trio are probably my favorite piano trios. I say they are my favorite because I never get tired of hearing their albums no matter how many times I play them.

If I had to recommend one album from each, I would say:

Neil Cowley: Live at Montreux 2012

Glerum Omnibus: Omnibus One

Cesare Picco: My Room

Ismael Dueñas Trio: Jazz Ateu

Alex Mercado: Symbiosis

Dominic J Marshall: Spirit Speech

Gabriele Pezzoli Trio: Rendez-vous

Remi Panossian: Add Fiction

And here are some of my favorites (from artists not mentioned in this thread):

Thierry Mailard: Beyond the Ocean

Dan Tepfer Trio: Before the Storm

Maria Kannegaard: Camel Walk

Jack Pescod: Circles

Rembrandt Frerichs: Continental

Igor Prochazka: Easy Route

Robert Mithchell 3io: The Embrace

Andrew McCormack Trio: Live in London

Christoph Stiefel: Live!

Mark Perrenoud Trio: Logo

Stefano Bollani: Mi Ritorni In Mente

Adrian Frey Trio: Microcosmos

Nikolaj Hess: Playin'

Benoit Greslebin: Pop

Tim Allhoff: Prelude

Peter James Trio: Soul Story

I love GoGo Penguin. I saw them in concert two years ago in Paris.

Lot's of new names in there. Thanks for sharing.

Would love to see GoGo Penguin live someday.

• 1 month later...
Traditional Jazz, very good execution & SQ

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19571[/ATTACH]

Roch

+1 Dynamic Range of 15 - 18!

Have been playing the "Out Here" album a little louder than normal and Owens' drum work is sending loud "thwacks" across the room in a way I've not enjoyed in a long time. He is absolutely killing those drums. This album recording is exceptional and is making listening a blast.

You have no idea how obsessed I am with piano trios. My list of so long that it will take me a while to put it together (so I can post it here). I want to categorize it by how good the artist or album is (as opposed to just posting a huge list of groups\artist).

After that last list - we now know! Holy molly what a list!

... and you have more.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

crenca,

Among the very best in the list that Musicophile shared are Mirabessi and Tingvall Trio.

Their albums have the most playtime in my setup when looking at jazz trios.

Regards.

Nikhil, I should have mentioned I have been streaming both Mirabassi and Tingvall thru Tidal, and am enjoying them immensely also. Do either of them have a high-res download out there somewhere - I am trying to stick to my "no more CDs" pledge. Shai is not high res but I downloaded him anyways because I am a screaming manly girly fan... ;)

Tingvall Trio, Tingvall Trio: Beat in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

This is the only hi res (24/96) version I could find

Tingvall Trio - Télécharger et écouter les albums.

Almost all are available in 16/44.1 only.

Giovanni Mirabassi - Télécharger et écouter les albums.

Again only one album is available in hires audio

• 3 months later...

Most welcome Musicophile!

Just read your review ... great info on the new album!

• 3 months later...

Visiting this thread after a long time so will take a little time to get up to speed. For those looking for some recommendations from the trios listed earlier - here's mine:

The Claudio Filippini Trio

image_2165.jpg

61mrZm4liWL.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 2/4/2017 at 0:04 AM, Musicophile said:

All great stuff. I'm really disappointed that the Alboran Trio doesn't play anymore.

Did not know that they have stopped playing.  

One of the real finds for me from this thread a few years ago.

24 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

I hope you will read these lines with the same pleasure as I have done.

best wishes,
Uwe

Uwe,

Thanks for sharing that.  Great to see that they will be back.

Regards.

4 hours ago, alsterfan said:

A set of different parameters influence me to pay attention to special music releases. Among these information about DR is also important to me. So with reference to the thread about dynamic range compression and what it does to our music:

In providing these data we have another parameter to decide if they suffice our SQ needs before digging deeper into the music.

Regards,

Uwe

Fortunately this genre of music lends itself to better recordings say from ECM or ACT.

I really haven't seen too many bad recordings in whatever I have in my collection.

The Wolfert Brederode Trio: Black Ice. (ECM) is a stellar DR 14 on most songs.