IGNORED

Streaming interruptions

Hey folks, I continue to get interruptions streaming lossless files by ethernet (and wi-fi too) from my Airport Extreme Base Station-attached USB drives to a laptop. This is true using iTunes, Foobar, and MediaMonkey.

Today I am playing the new Sonic Youth prerelease, which participants in their "Buy Early Get Now" program are allowed to do. You stream it from the internet, on their webpage (after entering password). What their player does is stream the whole song at once and then sits idle until the next track, then streams the next song all at once, all the way through the album. While a slight hiccup at the very beginning of the song would be possible using this method, it is much less likely than with itunes/etc. players. And even that could be solved merely by streaming ahead not only the current song, but the next in the playlist to the local player.

Are any of the PC jukebox programs capable of this? If they were only smart enough to stream 1 or 2 songs at a time to the local drive, there would almost never be hiccups. Is their any reason no one is doing this?

XXHighEnd would do just that. Only in theory though.

Re: The Future of Music ? and the post right after it.

Mind the fishy in there ... :-)

But note the whole principle of the "memory player" (which XXHighEnd is) which is a kind of base for it.

Btw, Windows7 will support this more explicitly (you'll understand when you read the link I provided).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)