IGNORED

Help! Jriver asset streaming to apple express

Air UPnP (control Airport Express as UPnP devices) was the product Chris used in that article but I believe it is no longer developed (not sure of you can still download it).

You should be able to use Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil for Windows: Wireless Audio Around Your House

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Still not able to hear music. Airfoil shows up on jriver.
Some instructions for JRiver with Airfoil here from the JRiver forum:

Solution to Multizone Sync Audio with Airplay and PC from MC18!

Music works on old PC with iTunes and airport, just doesn't sound great Either juicer or firewall issue. I need suggestions
ITunes streaming to AE works great (from first post) but doesn't sound great, eh? Hopefully you'll get JRiver via AirFoil streaming AirPlay working & the sound will improve. If sound is still not good, you could try a DAC/better DAC to connect to the AE or just ditch the AE & go for a decent network audio player/streamer (with AirPlay support perhaps, but not necessary if it's a UPnP/DLNA streamer and using JRiver &/or Asset UPnP).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Music works on old PC with iTunes and airport just doesn't sound great.

How are you connecting the AirPort Express to your music system? Also which version of the AirPort Express?

To be honest the AirPort Express is more for convenience than ideal for high quality playback.

An Apple TV may be an improvement (though some people hate it on the principle that it does sample rate conversion). Alternatively for higher quality in a second room / wireless a UPnP device is going to be a better bet (Marantz / Pioneer / Cambridge Audio perhaps or even Denon at a lower cost) - or something along the lines of Chris' Beagle Bone setup running MPD.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to stream JRiver to an airport express. I was unable to get the airfoil to play. I am currently listening to internet radio streaming to airport express (which is connected to my 2 channel pre amp's DAC via a DH Labs fiber optic cable. I thought I could have a budget streaming set-up using airfoil to stream to the airport express. I wanted to avoid spending $$ on a CD player at this point and save that for a "player" that I could connect directly to my preamp/DAC at some point in the future.

There's another method you could try in that case, but it requires using the decent free Foobar2000 music player instead of JRiver & installing the free foo_AirPlay & foo_UPnP plugin components. Be warned, however, if you are not familiar with Fb2k it can be a bit 'klunky' at first. I've managed to stream via AirPlay with Fb2k from a UPnP/DLNA server to an AirPlay supporting streamer, with this setup before - though I've never tried streaming with it to an AE (don't own one).

The foo_AirPlay component requires Apple's Bonjour (which you should have already as it's normally installed by iTunes) and QuickTime to be installed first. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be currently supported, but is still available for download from the developer at: foo_airplay | wintense.com

Foobar2000 and the foo_UPnP component are available from the Foobar2000 site at:

Download foobar2000 and optional components

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Can u help with some additional instructions. How do u add the airfoil as a server in jriver?

You may get a better response... But I think Cebolla was suggesting using Foobar which is an alternative player to J.River

Eloise

---

Can u help with some additional instructions. How do u add the airfoil as a server in jriver?
Sorry, I'm not really that familiar with AirFoil and don't use JRiver. As Eloise has said, my suggestion was to perhaps try Foobar2000 with the mentioned plugin components as an alternative to JRiver with AirFoil.

My understanding of the way the AirFoil server works, is that it presents itself as a standard pc audio driver, rather than it being an actual media server. Presumably it is this audio driver that you need to select for playback to from within JRiver's setup options.

-- Jo Cox