IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Hi,

after reading a lot here I decided to give it a try. I have a Mytek DAC and something very close to the ZUMA. I have active german speakers from Abacus.

Only switching from Windows 8 to Windows Server 2012R2 was already an improvement. But optimizer in Core mode made my speakers so much better. The sound stage improved a lot. I never was a big believer that an OS or cable could make a difference since it is all digital. But I was so wrong. I am running a single PC Setup without JPLAY and only use JRMC.

Everyhing sounds better, clearer an much more alive. If you want better sound and are already have been optimizing your Windows 7/8 system just do the switch to Windows Server 2012R2 with Phil's Optimizer. In my opinion this will be a bigger jump than buying an USB Cable for 300$

Cheers

Timur

By far the best thing to happen to my system in a very long time. Phil has done something amazing IMO. The Optimizer makes me stop thinking about my system, and just listen to the music. And it just keeps getting better... :)

regards

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
This is great info as I was contemplating either building a new music server and using my existing Win7 license or purchase Server + Optimizer. It sure seems like I may get more incremental improvement by using Server + Optimizer on my current Atom based PC than building a new pc and adding Server later (limitation of funds wont let me do both at the same time).

You can use your Atom with good results. Even with Server 2012 Core + The Optimizer + JRiver + JPlay and up sampling I can keep my CPU utilization under 50% on a single Atom Caps Server. I would not hesitate using 2012 with Phil's Optimizer. It is amazing! :)

• 1 month later...
Hey

I like Digital-Filter D the most as well. it gives a nice tube like touch to the sound, more Body, more lifelike, more enjoyable.

I like D also. :) I still marvel at how good my system is with the Optimizer. You have truly done something special.

Often it seems people are not happy with their system and keep changing DACs looking for something... when actually the OS is the real culprit. Now I just sit back and enjoy...

• 1 month later...
Hi

this is probably because of the new usb optimization in AO 1.24b1 :-)

LOL Phil I have been listening and I am astonished!!! :) It is hard to imagine my sound getting better, but it has!!! Thank you soooo much... :)

Everything just seems even more open and direct. Still liking 1-D and I have listened with both my Stax phones and my main speaker system and I am so impressed.

regards

Bob

As a very early alpha customer for Phil's Optimizer I can tell you that the project has gone through some great improvements, and beta 1.24b1 is no exception. I especially like the new conveniences and capabilities of the ServiceTool. Even sonically, the Optimizer has improved optimization with Jplay so that we may set buffers and regedit settings to tighter tolerances in order to be more analog-sounding, without putting undo stress on our music computers. Well done, again, Phil!

I agree 100%!!! I am so pleased with what I listen to everyday. Phil has done something very special. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Is your run headless and if so, how do you get past the ws2012 logon? etc.

Are you using ws2012 and AO and if so, how? WS2012 has no sleep mode... (at least mine doesn't)

I haven't bought AO yet due to the lack of sleep mode as I'm not sure I want this unit running 24/7.

The HD-plex case gets pretty warm as does the lpsu when run long term.

Yes I run headless. Everything is auto log on and auto start. I just push the button once to turn it on twice off. Just like any appliance. I would not hesitate getting the AO. It really is amazing. The best digital I have ever had by far.So analogue sounding and organic. Phil has done something very special... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to announce that since today there are 500 AudiophileOptimizer Users around the world.

And this on all five continents! ...yes, in Africa as well! :)

These are the optimized countries: United States, Germany, Netherlands, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, China, Switzerland, Italy, UK, Ireland, France, Canada, Australia, Turkey, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Belgium, Poland, Bulgaria, Israel, Portugal, New Zealand, Greece, Austria, Malaysia, India, Argentina, Czech Republic, Brazil, Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, Lithuania, Spain, Mexico, Romania, Bulgaria, Mozambique and Jamaica.

Congratulations!!! :)

"So my questions: What can I expect by just adding the AO script, or is there something else that could be wrong. Before I start pumping more money in my system without result I try to figure out what to expect."

Well,

You are doing nothing wrong IMO. What are you using for power supply for your PC?

I think the AO is a no brainer and will definitely take your system to next level. I would not hesitate to try it. You will love it.

"I use the standaard Streacom switched PSU. I tried an analog very low ripple power supply, as well on the PC as on the USB card. Both give about the same upgrade, so I am planned to build an internal PSU just for the USB card. But this also does not give me the huge upgrade I was hoping for. Maybe my expectations are too high?"

When you get to a certain level the incremental improvements are smaller. Do what you hear, and feel comfortable with.

...have a preview what 1.25 will bring:

Version 1.25b3

==============================================

- Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Edition

- ServiceTool offers preparation mode for 2012 R2 Essentials Edition

- Possibility to disable USB Optimization via AudiohpileOptimizer

- JRiver Media Center 17 shell replacement via ServiceTool (pcaudio.kr)

- WASAPI(MMCSS) Optimization

- Several bugfixes

Current customers can now test 1.25b3, please email me to get the beta.

Best,

Phil

I have been listening to the beta since the weekend. Just gets better and better. Seem to sense more layering and separation of voice and instruments. Just more transparent. Things just seem to float a bit more. Piano leading edge attack, then decay a bit more discernible. It is hard to believe how good this sounds. :)

Thanks

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing first impressions. Mine are overwhelmingly positive but in a somewhat different way, perhaps due to choice of sound signature/filters which is currently 1B. There's heightened sense of reality, less bloating, relatively thinner yet more specific image body, more holographic and transparency in front/back depth. It sounds just more realistically delicate. Blacker background reveals even what's going on towards the rear of soundstage, as well as what's going on before starts and after stops of music. Delicious!

Thank you AudioPhil for your yet another achievement.

Updated: Music playback has become both faster (accompanying instrumentation) and more relaxed, more effortless (solo vocals), evidenced by startling starts/stops of bass/percussions/guitars and breathy, well controlled, solid image body of solo vocals. Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, Celtic Woman, ABBA, Daniel in Lions Den have never sounded this good.

Basically the same feelings just worded differently. :) Everything just seems so right.

Phil is truly amazing, can't thank him enough. I wish more people could actually hear how good it sounds...

Looking forward to hearing the feedback he gets from the show in Korea.

• 2 weeks later...
This has probably been answered many times but here goes anyway. I run my music pc headless with jremote controlling jriver media center. Will this network connection continue to work in Core mode or do I have to have a monitor and keyboard to run in Core.

Thanks for your help.

Never, unless something gets really messed up with the network setting and you cannot connect any other way. You can use a VNC program to access you system for maintenance, upgrades etc. I like Tight VNC as it has very low overhead...

regards

Bob

I am now going to stay with 1 D for a while and see if it sticks. I tried 4 D but I was losing too much top end. In my system it sounded a little dead.

I prefer 1-D. It is so easy to try different setting. They can easily be changed while playing. The ultimate in system tuning... :)

Yes I am running the same version on both 1.26b. I have another high density hard drive 2 TB different brand and it does not sound good either but I have not tried Server 2012. I have had this same thing happen under Windows 7 but it was early on before I felt like I had a handle on this.

If someone can confirm all the Server 2012 basically sound the same then I will have my answer.

I would be almost positive that it is not the OS. Something with the drive. Noise, RFI maybe? This is an internal drive?

regards

Bob

Yes it is an internal drive. I set my system up with only one drive as I don’t want the noise from 2 drives. So my thinking is drives of 2 TB or more are not as full sounding as the lower density drives. So I guess this means find and use multiple platter drives which are less than 1 TB. The new drives which have fewer platters but still use the high density will have the same problem. I guess this could be system dependent but in my system it is true. It would be interesting if someone else could test this and they reached the same conclusion.

Find an old multiple platter Seagate drive and compare it to one of the newer drives. The old Seagate drives just have a much fuller sound with more bass.

I use a small OS mSata ssd with everything else on a NAS. Possibly better power for the drive or maybe a SATA filter. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

regards

Bob

I'm going crazy on my side, since I've moved to windows 2012 on my actual single PC (my audio pc died), I cannot get my fostex HPA8 dac to work, the sound is awfully distorded.

I've tried everything so far, except going back to windows 7. i'm sure it's not coming from the highend script, but from windows 2012, but where...that I don't know:/

I downloaded the Fostex driver to take a look at it. Before you use the Optimizer install and configure your driver. After everything is working then you can to to core mode optimize etc. If necessary use the service tool to go back to stock server.

regards

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks

One other question:

I have Server 2012 with no function other than as a file server and no DotNetFrame3.5.

None of the IntelDH61DL board drivers have been installed and I just let the inbuilt driver

package find the hardware drivers.

Can I use the Optimiser straight away on this, or would I need a fresh install as per the

pdf instructions? Web access and networks have also been disabled.

Fred

You can use AO with your system, you will not have to do a fresh install. :)

You can use Total Commander Total Commander - home for easy navigation of core mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Some basic advice for Server 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer v1.26b2:

What are the steps from a computer in Core mode to change the sound signature?

What are the steps from a computer in GUI mode to change the sound signature? Thanks.

Either way you run the Optimizer application and change the signatures. In the GUI it is the icon, in core it is the exe in the AO directory. You can use total commander for ease of navigation in core mode. You could still navigate to your desktop in core and still run the icon files if you want. Total Commander - home will make navigation a breeze.

You can change signatures on the fly while playing music to fine tune your system.

It's a beautiful thing... :)