IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Hello

thanks for the positive feedbacks given so far. Currently only Server 2012 and 2012 R2 are supported. I decided to stop "John Doe's Audiophile Windows 8" quiet a few months ago. And i am still 100% that i will never achieve the same result on a client operating system like i can do with a stripped down server OS in core mode.

But for practical and also financial reasons, i am thinking about a Windows 8.1 version. Maybe i will offer my Beta Testers something for Win 8.1 in the near future.

Hopefully more people will dive in and give server 2012 a try. You will hear the difference even with a "out of the box" installation of server 2012 in GUI mode. Stripped down to core edition and optimized with my Software the really amazing part beginns. :-)

the needed links for the trial/evaluation ISO's of Server 2012 and 2012 R2 can be found on my homepage. Also the public version of the detailed step-by-step PDF Guide. Even some videos are available on the page to show how things work in core mode.

take care and enjoy,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hello

It does "not work" is not an entirely correct description of the situation. I had

to code a routine to check what OS is installed. Only Server 2012 R1/R2 standard/

datacenter edition will be allowed. all other OS will be rejected right away.

But Why that? Because i have to make sure users follow the instructions carefully

and are not able to try anything they think might be a good idea, but will lead

to the opposite in the end. it's my job to get sure such things will not happen.

(This is the key to achieve such great results by the way)

So why not Essentials Edition? Because it has many roles and features pre-installed

we do not want to be there. Addiditionally there is NO core mode in Essentials and

Foundation Edition available. Essentials Edition is a completeley unsuitable platform

for our target, and therefore the AudiophileOptimizer will not run on it.

But why not Hyper-V Edition? Because Hyper-V Edition has no Windows Audio

Architecture at all. And even if i would invest probably many many months of work

to get it "in" there, it would still be absolutely NOT allowed due to legal reasons to

use it. And i would get into big trouble selling a product what would make this possible.

Hyper-V Edition may strictly and only be used as Hypervisor Platform (Virtualization)

And what about WinPE? More or less the same situation like Hyper-V Edition. Probably

not possible (techincal part) and certainly forbidden (legal part).

This is the reason why the AudiophileOptimizer supports "only" standard and datacenter

editions. these are the only two editions fitting our need and beeing also the right

choiches from legal aspects. No body on earth is going to buy a datacenter edition

for our usage, so in real life only standard will be used (even if datacenter edition

does work as well)

I hope this clears the situation.

Thanks a lot,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello

I would start with the 2012 R2 Evaluation ISO linked on my Homepage. You have 180 days before you finally decide to spend this huge amount on Windows Server 2012.

just a side note, certainly not the right way for everyone, but.... I need about 30 minutes for a complete setup of one machine. Ok, let's think about this :-) means one hour effort per year.... ;) But COUNTLESS hours of sonic orgasms!

The ver first setup is not done in 30 minutes, i agree. But equipped with my guide and capable of reading, it's a rather easy task and won't take much time.

Alternatives are programms like Microsoft BizSpark, DreamSpark, ActionPack, etc. Many ways available.

take care,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks

I am currently working on the beta of version 1.22 of the AudiophileOptimizer. There will be quiet a few changes and news:

- Introduction of eXpress and Export mode

The eXpress mode will set most settings for you and is the desired route for beginners who don't want to decide and think about to many questions and just want to enjoy and listen good music. Expert mode offers all the known and some new Options.

- More network related optimizations

- More filesystem related optimizations

- More registry optimizations

- More CPU related optimizations

- One new Digitial-Filter mode

- Possibility to enable/disable HPET

- Boot-Manager Text changed to "AudiophileEdition 1.2x"

- Several minor changes

- Update of the PDF Guide

- ServiceEnabler 1.41

The beta of 1.22 will be sent out to the usual suspects within the next days.

Take care,

Phil

Hi

I am sure that even without my Optimizer you will very soon know what the right direction is. switch to core and put the Optimizer on top of it, then you will hear what's really possible today with computer audio.

Best,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks

A standard IBM Laptop equipped with Server 2012, JPLAY 5.2 and AudiophileOptimizer 1.21 is playing on the same level as like a Linn G-ADS DAC or a LaRosita Beta Connect. Read about the shoot out here (german): aktives-hoeren.de • Thema anzeigen - Daniel (AGM 4.4, Genelec 8020)

What do you think how a fully tuned Highend-AudioPC will sound like compared to those devices? :)

All the best,

Phil

Hello Granthar

My hompage as still a lot of potential to improve. The AudiophileOpimizer is not a Player, it is a Software that makes roughly 300 modification to Server 2012 which will make it Sound very amazing. Basically you can use what ever Player you like. Most of my users do Jriver, Jplaymini or Foobar. But i have also some who use it with other Players, basically there are no restrictions. Not every Player does work in core mode, but the AudiophileOptimizer takes care o that as well. It will make JRiver and Foobar2000 work in core mode as well.

The PDF Guide show's how to properly set up your System and how to use the AudiophileOptimizer. If done correctly, you will achieve truly staggering results. PDF Guide: http://highend-audiopc.com/PDF/audiophile_optimizer_setup_guide.pdf

Please let m know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Phil

Hi Tommy

please use the official support thread on jplay or my email support. But please do not cross post your questions in all theads regarding the topic. Thank you.

Phil

Hi

I would estimate you currently hear about 30% of th full potential, beeing in unoptimized GUI mode. But still that is better than an optimzed Windows 7/8. And that finally was the reason for me to stop any developments on client OS's. just because Server 2012 is so damn good already out of the box.

But indeed, compared to optimized core mode... it's almost not bearable... :)

Hi

I'm glad you like wat you hear :)

Digital-Filter A is the cleanest sounding, the purest if you want so. it gives a solid state amp like sound. Mode D for example is not as technically correct as A, but it's sound has more Body, more life, more warmth. Mode D is more lik a tube amp.

Effects of sound signatures are not predictable, just try and listen, then choose what you like the most :)

FYI: Both Digital-Filters and Sound Signatures are 100% bit perfect!

Best,

Phil

Hi

every existing format is supported by the Optimizer since it is no mediaplayer.

In the end this depends on the mediaplayer you use. JRiver, JPLAYmini and Foobar2000 all support DSD just to name a few.

Thanks Phil, I'm running J River 19 also. Let us know when version 1.22 eXpress is available!

Hi

My lead-tester is testing Version 1.22b since about one week and all looks good so far. After his "OK" i'll pass the beta to existing customers who want to try it.

Best,

Phil

Phil, after optimizer is installed, will I be able to edit my Jriver Media Center library with fully GUI functionality?

Hi

Sure :)

This Video Shows Server 2012 R2 in core mode, with no autologon and no Shell replacement configured:

It's the same for Foobar2000 etc.

Hi

Yes, MMCSS and Windows Audio related services are available in GUI and minimal-server mode, but not in core mode.

Kernel Streaming is the way to go, so i don't think that it's a big loss that no WASAPI support is given in core mode.

General Information: on a Server OS services like MMcSS and Windows Audio Service, AudioEndpointBuilder etc. are disabled by default. So if you really have no other choice than using WASAPI, you need to set thos services to automatic start.

but again, WASAPI/MMCSS etc. is not recommended. It adds to many layers, dll's, exe etc. Not very small foot print.

Kernel streaming needs only one dll and one sys file and and a couple of registry entries and thats it, it's a much more direct way for a driver to communicate with the hardware. Definitely the way to go.

IMHO, there is no need for MMCSS anyway if you are in core mode and ran the Optimizer with all Options. You will end up with 5-7 running proccesses and about 15 threads :-) absolutely no need for MMCsS.

best,

Phil

Hi

what exactly do you mean with offline mode?

if you want it to, the Optimizer disables all drivers and services that are not absolutely needed for the OS to work.

Hi Folks

The second beta version of the AudiophileOptimizer 1.22 is now available. This is the changelog:

Version 1.22b2

=============================================================

- Introduction of Express and Advanced mode

- More filesystem related optimizations

- CPU related optimizations

- One new Digitial-Filter mode (windows system default setting)

- One new Sound Signature (windows system default setting)

- Possibility to enable/disable HPET

- Boot-Manager Text changed to "AudiophileEdition 1.2x"

- Several minor changes

- ServiceEnabler 1.41

- mytek_dac.cmd

- map_drive.cmd

Express Mode is interesting if you don't want to answer any questions. It will automatically choose

a balanced set of options and result in a very nice sound system. With the advanced mode you have

all options in your hands as you where used to it in the past.

There are some new Tweaks for the filesystem and some new CPU related tweaks. On my system clearly

a step up in SQ. But since the level is already very high, don't expect miracles sound wise. Also new is

the possibility to set SS and DF to the windows defaults settings. so you can compare how the OS

sounds with those two parameters left untouched. i do not recommend using these two modes, but

a lot of customers wanted to have the ability to hear the default values -> so here you are :)

There are several new cmd files as well, on of it makes the Mytek DAC fully work in core mode as well.

mytek_dac.cmd needs to be run after the Optimizer. map_drive.cmd is an example script to map a

network drive in core or minimal-server mode.

The ServiceEnabler has been completely rewritten from ground. In all previous versions, it just loaded

a backup of the registry part containing all service start information. This method had some negative

side effects in rare cases. 0,5% of the customers where affected with those side effects. The completely

rewritten version of the ServiceEnabler does not load any registry backups any more, it uses direct

commands to restore the desired service state. This is a much cleaner way of achieving the same

result.

I will send the link for beta2 of the AudiophileOptimizer 1.22 via Email to those who like to try it.

Have fun,

Phil

Hi

a trial version of the optimizer is available. Who is interested can email me.

Pewter, if you don't hear any difference between win7/8 and server 2012, you are probably suffering from bad power conditions. Get clean power, and you will hear a big difference even wirhout optimizer.

don't use power distibution lines etc, plug in directly into wallwart. Or hook your computer up to a UPS. Then you will hear it.

Hi

The powerplants are even better, perfect. But as you discovered yourself, also the PSU can make a big difference (or ruin everything) as well. I use a Corsair AX760i on my ControlPC and a PPA wide-rage 160W DC to ATX PSU in my AudioPC. Both are highly recommended!

ControlPC: AX760i Digital ATX Power Supply

AudioPC: SHOPPING AREA: DC to ATX 160W PSU

Cheers,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You mean RDP? No, just enable and configure it in while you are in GUI mode. Swith to core and then don't disable Network related Services or RDP when you run the Optimizer.

You could also use WinRS or Powershell Remoting to Access the AudioPC.

Thanks for the quick response audioPhil! Your support really is as good as they say!

Do you have a preference among these methods of remote access? Does leaving on Network related Services & RDP have a negative impact on the sound?

Thanks a lot, i always try to be fast and responsive. sometime it takes a bit longer, but i never let one customer down so far.

If you Need some graphical Connection, then RDP is my bet. if you are Computer safy, WinRS or PowerShell Remoting are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks

Thank you all very much for the positive compliments. I'm glad you do not regret your decision to try out my solution.

I am constantly working on further improvement. With version 1.23 of the AudiophileOptimizer (coming soon!) the new ServiceTool will make life even better. It has never been easier to switch from and to core, minimal-server and GUI mode. Take a look how it works here:

[video=youtube_share;_NmbXWWO_vI]

...or watch all new videos on my page -> http://www.highend-audiopc.com

Best wishes,

Phil

Hi

Yes, it makes the whole procedure much more comfortable and safe to use.

The ServiceTool is the replacemnt for the ServiceEnabler. If you have already

optimized your system with the Optimizer, the ServiceTool will need two runs.

The first run will do the same as the ServiceEnabler did, the second run will

show you the new options.

Core mode does not Support WLAN (Wireless-Network Feature gets deinstalled),

only GUI and minimal-server mode do.

Jriver cannot be upgraded in core mode?

No, the Installer of JRiver does not work in core mode unfortunately. If they would use a standard installer (MSI) then it would be no Problem, but they made their own installer...

If you install the Wireless-Networking feature while being in core mode, you end up in minimal-server mode, this happens automatically. Go ahaed and see yourself :-) you can start sysdm.cpl for example, which is not available in core mode.