IGNORED

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Stereo Headphone Review

Here is an amazingly good headphone that's way underrated due to an easily-corrected treble rolloff:

I have a contemporary with those cans. They are very decent for price and look really nice, but I found them more suited to popular music than my old HD 600's through which my preferences chamber classical and small ensemble Jazz sounds better with caveat that I have not tried enough headphone/headphone amplifier combinations to be certain the Momentum's would not be improved with small ensemble classical/Jazz with improved headphone amplifier pairings. With my Meridian Explorer I definitely favor the HD 600's over the Momentums.

I have a contemporary with those cans. They are very decent for price and look really nice, but I found them more suited to popular music than my old HD 600's through which my preferences chamber classical and small ensemble Jazz sounds better with caveat that I have not tried enough headphone/headphone amplifier combinations to be certain the Momentum's would not be improved with small ensemble classical/Jazz with improved headphone amplifier pairings. With my Meridian Explorer I definitely favor the HD 600's over the Momentums.

If you played the MOE without the treble boost I specified, then you missed the hi-fi experience my review is based on.

When I get a chance to listen to the MOE's again will ensure treble boost is on as can't remember if it was on when I listened to them before. I did find the ear cups a tad small compared to HD650/HD600 which made fit less than ideal for me, but they're a very handsome set of OE cans no doubt. Nice write-up. You shuttle between states and UK? Freelance reviewer?

Nice write-up. You shuttle between states and UK? Freelance reviewer?

I've never been to the U.K., but the relationship with their site is similar to CA in that it's pretty well free of stress - everyone is civil and the discussion is informative. Where they differ from CA is they have a retail store, and with my years of retail practice I found it very comfortable to "sell" items to people there via my forum posts, even though I am not involved in their sales at all. My reviews are purely a personal project that occasionally net me a perk, although the monetary value of all my perks in two years and 75 headphone purchases (plus numerous amps) amount to less than $1k, or about 1-1/2 percent of purchases. As a reviewer my intent is not to offer another opinion to the existing reviewer cadre, reviewing the same items the same way. I'd like to focus on less-well-known products when I can, but the big thing for me that other reviewers avoid like the plague is telling users which headphones that aren't highly regarded for best sound (neutral, more or less) can be made to sound much better with simple ipod/itunes or equivalent EQ. As long as the big name reviewers avoid doing that, it leaves me pretty well alone to provide that service to customers who would like to have a more hi-fi sound, but can't afford the expensive headphone models. Not all of the lo-fi or mid-fi headphones fix up well with a simple EQ, so that's something that has to be sorted out in the reviews.