IGNORED

Esoteric SACDs

Leica

I just got my first ever Esoteric SACDs :)

Esoteric.jpg

Although they cost me an arm and a leg they seem to be worth it.

The good thing is, I have one of each left, so I am looking to get some more. Do you know where I can find a complete list of all the titles ever released in "Esoteric" format?

On their web site:-

Products / Super Audio CD | ESOTERIC COMPANY

They seem to be quite a few listed, with very useful recording information and all. But there are a lot more title I think that those listed there.

Thanks!

Hi Leica,

Esoteric is a brandname used by Teac for their flagship product range, not a releasing format like you stated in your post.

It looks like these are the only titles released so far, so I am guessing it is to promote and feed their Esoteric SACD players, with a limited number of few thousand copies only. I have seen them currently in Japan only, which might also explain the sales tag you have painfully experienced.

Hi Leica,

Esoteric is a brandname used by Teac for their flagship product range, not a releasing format like you stated in your post.

It looks like these are the only titles released so far, so I am guessing it is to promote and feed their Esoteric SACD players, with a limited number of few thousand copies only. I have seen them currently in Japan only, which might also explain the sales tag you have painfully experienced.

Yes I know that Esoteric is like a brand name of course. I was lost for words so used "format" incorrectly instead of "edition".

I thought that there were at least 100 or so titles issued. I counted only 45 titles there on their web site though.

I purchased these three titles from Japan. All in all they cost just over US $50 each! And they are the cheap ones! Some out of print ones go for a lot more.

One of my favourite recordings is available in an Esoteric edition, Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht conducted by Karajan. I have had this in redbook since the 80's and love it. The Esoteric one is out of print and is going for over $200 :(

I think that the list on Esoteric's site is complete and that there are indeed only 45 titles ever made. I found this list:-

SA-CD.net - Search

And it seem to list the same titles.

One thing got me thinking though. A few of these titles are recording made in the 80's and 90's at a time when recordings were done digitally in 16 bits! So then how can Esoteric improve on these???