IGNORED

Any Devialet Users Here?

I just got a Devialet 110 and I have hooked it up to my PC (Windows 8) and I need the USB drivers! I can't find them anywhere on their web site.

Can anyone please help!

Thanks.

UPDATE: I found the driver. I had to register first!

I just got a Devialet 110 and I have hooked it up to my PC (Windows 8) and I need the USB drivers! I can't find them anywhere on their web site.

Can anyone please help!

Thanks.

UPDATE: I found the driver. I had to register first!

How are you getting on?! Did you buy the unit or have you got it on home demo?

Devialet 500, Moon MiND 180, Wilson Sophia 3, Transparent Reference XL digital interconnects, Chord Sarum speaker cable

I purchased it on the very last day of the free AIR deal! So in effect it saved me £1000.

It is a very impressive piece of kit indeed. I will write up a long post about my initial impressions of it shortly...

Congrats! I've still got my demo 240 here, it's a wonderful piece of kit. I'm now streaming to it using a MiND 180 and the sound is fantastic, so much better than AIR. I really liked the sound from the USB connection too but really wanted the convenience of UPnP, especially with all my music sitting on a NAS.

Looking forward to reading your post!

Devialet 500, Moon MiND 180, Wilson Sophia 3, Transparent Reference XL digital interconnects, Chord Sarum speaker cable

Congrats! I've still got my demo 240 here, it's a wonderful piece of kit. I'm now streaming to it using a MiND 180 and the sound is fantastic, so much better than AIR. I really liked the sound from the USB connection too but really wanted the convenience of UPnP, especially with all my music sitting on a NAS.

great news about the MiND, wich app do you use for control?

Seems like the MiND 180 is a streamer like a Linn DS or Naim Uniti but without a built in DAC and with digital outputs instead. I am I right? If so how have you hooked it up to the Devialet? Coaxial? Optical?

great news about the MiND, wich app do you use for control?

I'm using the MiND app on both iPhone and iPad. It's actually pretty good considering it's not been out for that long. It's stable and it works! There is a major update in the works which will improve the look and feel of the app plus add some new functionality (for e.g. search). It should be due out in the next couple of weeks.

I also experimented with using PlugPlayer and that seemed to work fine although I didn't spend that much time on it.

Whilst the Linn Kinsky app will "see" the Moon MiND on the network it can't really do much more than that. I'm guessing that this is due to the Linn-specific UPnP extensions which are implemented in Kinsky.

Seems like the MiND 180 is a streamer like a Linn DS or Naim Uniti but without a built in DAC and with digital outputs instead. I am I right? If so how have you hooked it up to the Devialet? Coaxial? Optical?

Correct! And it sounds a LOT better than streaming via the digital output of my Sneaky DS.

I've been experimenting with different S/PDIF and AES/EBU cables (recommended by both Moon and Devialet). Anyway I'm away for a few days but when I get back I'll post some of my findings. The Moon unit is brand new (arrived on Monday afternoon) so I am running it in for a few days.

First impressions are VERY positive though.

Correct! And it sounds a LOT better than streaming via the digital output of my Sneaky DS.

You are just making myself even more interested in trying one for myself. How do you describe both digital outputs, concerning sound quality?

I've been experimenting with different S/PDIF and AES/EBU cables (recommended by both Moon and Devialet).

Did you compared both with the same S/PDIF cable?

Could you share the cable experience with us, any of them stand out?

Sneaky of course has no AES cable, maybe that connection in MiND makes a difference...

I have my Devialet 170 for two weeks and I think it's great. Using with a Naim Unitiserve and an Linn LP12. You have to listen and much better than loads of Naim boxes. Even the wife likes it..lapman

How can she not love it, it's a beautiful piece of design...Congrats!

I have my Devialet 170 for two weeks and I think it's great. Using with a Naim Unitiserve and an Linn LP12. You have to listen and much better than loads of Naim boxes. Even the wife likes it..lapman

Nice to hear from another Devialet user. What did you have before it? Naims?

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying their Devialet units. Unfortunately mine have been delayed again so probably looking at the end of the month, if I'm luck!

Leica: excellent write up! I meant to say this a while back.

The good news is that my dealer has been happy to let me keep the demo 240. My Moon MiND 180 is now properly run in and the sound from the Devialet (using the internal DAC) is nothing short of spectacular. I tried a number of different cables and have settled for a Sarum Tuned Aray AES/EBU to connect the MiND to the 240. I'm also using a Sarum Tuned Aray mains cable with the 240.

The really exciting thing is that I am now enjoying sound that is better than my Klimax system and I have kept my UPnP setup. Better resolution, dynamics and just plain enjoyment factor.

I didn't think I'd be able to beat my KDS but I think I've done it now!

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying their Devialet units. Unfortunately mine have been delayed again so probably looking at the end of the month, if I'm luck!

Leica: excellent write up! I meant to say this a while back.

The good news is that my dealer has been happy to let me keep the demo 240. My Moon MiND 180 is now properly run in and the sound from the Devialet (using the internal DAC) is nothing short of spectacular. I tried a number of different cables and have settled for a Sarum Tuned Aray AES/EBU to connect the MiND to the 240. I'm also using a Sarum Tuned Aray mains cable with the 240.

Congrats.

If I remember your several test iterations, MiND was important to achieve that level of quality...

I am really tempted to try it as I thing the spdif of my sneaky ds is not very refined...

I wonder,

who else in Europe is building something comparable to MiND? Could one find a more atract$ve alternative?

The really exciting thing is that I am now enjoying sound that is better than my Klimax system and I have kept my UPnP setup. Better resolution, dynamics and just plain enjoyment factor.

yes, I also think that there is nothing best that having our music in the center of the network..

With the MiND you solved one of the strange limitations of Devialet, which is the absence of a proper streaming solution...

I used to love streaming but then I discovered how good and easy it is to use a PC instead. With JRiver and JRemote it is a lot more convenient too, miles better than the either the Linn or Naim apps.

Using a PC is a lot cheaper too AND you can use the USB port. So why still the love for streaming?

I used to love streaming but then I discovered how good and easy it is to use a PC instead. With JRiver and JRemote it is a lot more convenient too, miles better than the either the Linn or Naim apps.

Using a PC is a lot cheaper too AND you can use the USB port. So why still the love for streaming?

Well I have 3 zones of music which I can easily control via either the Linn or Moon app. My NAS can supply music to either. But the main reason is just that I find it very convenient and I'm used to it. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I'm sure your solution is perfect too.

The sound quality I'm getting from the Moon/Devialet/Sarum TA AES/EBU combo is absolutely stunning and the best I have achieved so far. Like I said better than the analogue output of my KDS, and that is saying something! I've been experimenting with lots of different methods of feeding the Devialet and this is definitely the best - for me! I'm sure your setup sounds awesome too.

Well I have 3 zones of music which I can easily control via either the Linn or Moon app. My NAS can supply music to either. But the main reason is just that I find it very convenient and I'm used to it. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I'm sure your solution is perfect too.

I believe you can do zones with JRiver too, but you would then need multiple PCs, I believe. But you are right, in general is much harder to initially setup a PC and you need to be a bit of a geek ;)

Congrats.

If I remember your several test iterations, MiND was important to achieve that level of quality...

I am really tempted to try it as I thing the spdif of my sneaky ds is not very refined...

I wonder,

who else in Europe is building something comparable to MiND? Could one find a more atract$ve alternative?

yes, I also think that there is nothing best that having our music in the center of the network..

With the MiND you solved one of the strange limitations of Devialet, which is the absence of a proper streaming solution...

Sorry Mike didn't answer your question...

My experience with the Sneaky DS digital output wasn't good to be honest. And I tried all the different Linn Konfig settings. It just sounded like bad hi-fi although some settings were much better than others.

The MiND on the other hand is really special. I think you're basically buying a streamer with a high quality digital output. The other thing that really surprises me is how good the control app is. To think it's only been out since the beginning of the year (or thereabouts) and it is so stable. I think in 2-3 weeks it's only crashed once. There's an update expected soon with lots of improved graphics and some new functionality. My feeling is that Simaudio are really investing in UPnP.

I can't recommend this enough.

Leema Acoustics make (or at least have announced) something similar to the Mind.

You could also take a look at the Project line of streamers which are based on StreamUnlimited 700 boards (same as Chord, ARC and Krell amongst others).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Guillaume,

Do you still plan to try and compare the Wadia Intuition to the Devialet?

Thanks!

I actually feel a bit bad about this one... Yes I did compare it to the Devialet 170 and 240 in one listening session and I didn't get on with it at all... it sounded harsh and thin... a few issues:

1) the unit had only had 10-15 hours of burn-in time. I would have preferred to have had at least 100 hours on it to make a fair comparison. My MiND sounded really harsh at first, for e.g. the brass in John Coltrane's Ballads almost made my ears bleed! It took a good week for that to mellow out.

2) there was an issue with the banana plugs - my Sarum speaker cables didn't seem to fit! I think they were very loose. The unit comes with its own banana terminals and it might make sense using them.

That's why I haven't really talked about it much. I don't think it was a fair comparison.

Also when disassembling it one of the rubber legs came off... also didn't think much of the remote either but that's a personal thing.

On the plus side it looks gorgeous! What a display! You can actually read it from the sofa! For those that want it it also supports DSD.

Hi!

I hope you all are well :)

I will most likely jump into it and buy a Devialet 170 over Christmas. My plan is to use USB from Mac Mini directly into the Devialet. Or Firewire from the MacMini via a Weiss INT 202 (which I have from before) and into Devilaets AES / EBU inputs. What do you think?

I have a Burmester 061, and the cd player only have SPDIF digital and toslink output. As far I understand Devialet reccommend to use AES / EBU as input from a CD player. The new Weiss 203 have two options for inputs: Firewire and SPDIF. Weiss INT 202 has only Firewire. So I presume I have to buy an interface if I shall connect my CD player to Devialet using the AES / EBU inputs?

My equipment is per date Burmester 061, Burmester 051, Wilson Sophia 2, Revox B78mk2, Eat Forte S w/Ikeda arm, Lyra Delos, Ortofon Gradenza Bronze, Musical Surraoundings Nova 2, HifiMan HE-500, Auralic Taurus head amp, etc.

Look forward to get the Devialet 170. It will surely put the musical experience to another level.

Cheeers and thanks, Toffen

Hi!

I hope you all are well :)

I will most likely jump into it and buy a Devialet 170 over Christmas. My plan is to use USB from Mac Mini directly into the Devialet. Or Firewire from the MacMini via a Weiss INT 202 (which I have from before) and into Devilaets AES / EBU inputs. What do you think?

Hi Toffen, welcome. I have a very similar setup as you are thinking of. The only difference is that I don't place a MacMini besides the D-Premier, but have a 15m AES/EBU cable from a neighboring room with my MacPro. I use the MacPro's firewire output into an INT203 and the AES/EBU from there. The long run of the AES cable is no problem as it is a balanced design and cancels out any RF noise.

My problem with MacMini is the very restricted storage-wise as my iTunes music library is about 1TB. I am also not so sure about the MacMini's noise level. You may want to check the Mini's noise out beforehand.

Just a final note: For directing music from iTunes to the INT203 you need one of those programs that tell INT203 the resolution of the next music file (Pure Music, Amarra, etc). AFAIK iTunes would convert hirez files to 16bit and 44.1kHz. I use PureMusic and I am very happy with my setup.