IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

On 10/10/2021 at 3:03 AM, zoltan said:

I read the review at Goldensound and commented there that I'm a little "worried" why he suggests against two or more Mutec units when he neither measured that set-up, nor listened to it. Forming such strong opinion without any base is very wrong and misleading in my opinion. 

I did listen to it, and did provide measurements of stacked DDCs.

I actually did a few tests with the DDCs in different orders, and also some where I fed the MC3+ with a signal and applied varying levels of jitter deliberately.

In all cases jitter pattern and level was exactly the same on the output of the final DDC regardless of what came before it.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

14 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Both products lack an AES input, which is find unacceptable. 

Thank you for sharing your measurements and well-argued opinion.

It's not easy to come out against hard-core numbers. Still,  throughout the years, I've discovered--against my intuition and expressed bias--that sometimes my ears tell a different story. When I chained my second MC3+USB, I expected nothing. In fact, I was hoping to ship it back for a refund. I turned the music on, and for a while got engaged with other chores, when suddenly the quality emanating from my speakers compelled me to tune in. "Wow, what it is this wonderful sound?" Was it a figment of my imagination? Possibly. However, you wouldn't pry that chain out of my cold dead fingers. I own a 3rd one, and I couldn't detect much of a difference if any. Held on to it for a different application. 

If an AES input is required then the Denafrips Gaia would be my recommendation though its quite a bit pricier than the mc3+. 

It sort of depends on use case. The mc3+ has a lot of features that other ddcs do not and so if you DO need those features then it's one of the ideal options. But for most people looking for a DDC that they'll likely be connecting via USB, those features won't be needed

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

1 hour ago, Dr.J said:

If I purchase a Singxer SU-6 for my Aries G1 streamer, will I be missing anything if I choose to use a USB2 cable, instead of a USB3 cable? 

The singxer (and the vast majority of audio devices) are usb 2 so no worry. 

The singxer has a usb 2.0 type b connector