IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

I know I'm going to hate myself for asking, but why string two MC-3+'s together?

And how are they connected to one another?

I currently have one MC-3+ connected by USB from my Zuma.

While I've been told repeatedly about the value of going SPDIF from my server, I have two issues.

One is that my DCS Debussy will not play 24/192 and DSD from SPDIF.

The other is that I love my PPA USB card and can't imagine moving away from it.

I'll appreciate any insights any current MC-3+ users have to offer as I've been told about the benefits of re-clocking which I can't do from USB.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

• 4 weeks later...

Ulli,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but not every message on this site gets forwarded to the thread subscriber so I didn't see this post until now.

As I'm currently using a a Rubidium clock on my MC-3+, I'm wondering if there would still be a benefit in adding a second MC-3+ or not. Any thoughts about that?

As I do have quite a few DSD and higher than 24/96 files, moving away from USB on the Debussy is not a good choice for me right now unfortunately.

The reason why I've been wrestling with the USB input option vs. SPDIF for example, is that I've heard continually about the benefit of using the re-clocking function on the MC-3+. But again, for now, USB is just not a great option.

And as for your post about the new items at the AES Show, I'm anxious to learn what's coming out.

Whoever finds out, I hope they'll post their findings on this thread.

Thanks again.

Joel

• 1 year later...
Hi Bill,

Using MC-3+ since quite a while with various sample rate material, I can confirm: MC-3+ automatically adjusts sample rate to the input material - in both modes, with and without 10 MHz applied.

Let me pls add this:

LPFRS is the clock my 10 MHz journey started with - good for a first trial.

OCXOs are normally a better choice for this application - mid/long term stability is less important here...

hth

Ulli

Hi Ulli,

The new MC-3+ USB will adjust to the incoming sample rate on the AES/EBU or BNC input as well as with the USB input?

Any idea as to the release date or price?

Thanks for the information.

Joel

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Julian,

As an owner of both an MC-3+ and an MC-3+USB, if I were to use both devices together, I would have to use the MC-3+USB at the beginning of the chain, to accept my USB signal, and then place the MC-3+ after that.

In that scenario, am I better off using the MC-3+USB alone so it can be connected directly to the DAC or is there still a benefit to having the MC-3+ follow the MC-3+USB?

Thanks,

Joel

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

I do not have an external clock.

Since then I have tried it by borrowing a friend's 10mhz clock. It works in the way I describe. Additionally, since the Rednet takes its sample rate information from the Dante transmitter (and not from the word clock), and the Mutec in turn takes the sample rate information from the Rednet; this system changes all sample rates on its own, without any need for manual intervention to change the sample rates on the clock.

Well, I'll confess my ignorance here.

I have a Rednet D16 and a Mutec MC-3+USB.

But either the sound skips, or the "Lock" light on my Berkeley DAC turns amber instead of the preferred green.

What settings should I have in my Rednet Control program?

I think there's only one way to get this configuration to work on the Mutec but I'll gladly take your settings on that as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joel