IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

There should be a lot of coders familiar with ASIO on the pro side, so one hopes that getting the driver creation could be farmed out. Or perhaps Exasound could license its version much like Wavelength did with its Asynchronous USB audio software. And Exasound or other ASIO-adept companies could adapt code for other small builders.

Writing ASIO drivers for other DAC makers could be a new profit center or side business for exaSound. I know that Andreas Koch of Playback Designs does DAC design for other companies (like Nagra) under his AK Designs business. Maybe George K. at exaSound could start GK Designs. Hmm.... :)

• 1 month later...
Yes, did the comparison 3 days ago, the difference is night and day, especially with HQ Player doing the PCM>DSD.

at the same price point there are DAC's that will do a better job on Redbook , but none of them will do DSD256 (except for the ifi microDSD).

beta release of Linux driver for Exasound is coming in weeks, not months and will support DSD256

Very nice! exaSound is always on the cutting edge. Not surprising since they had the first consumer DAC to support DSD256.

Yes, did the comparison 3 days ago, the difference is night and day, especially with HQ Player doing the PCM>DSD.

at the same price point there are DAC's that will do a better job on Redbook , but none of them will do DSD256 (except for the ifi microDSD).

Speaking of the HQ Player, haven't seen any information on how to configure it with the exaSound. Any tips you can offer?

• 3 weeks later...
Got the e20... so far so good. High-rate DSD is spectacular. If I don't run into any issues over the next week I'll probably spring for another e20 or an e22.

In summary, for the PC audiophile who wants true high-res DSD, I think this is absolutely the best choice on the market. And it's safe to say that I've experienced almost all of the other choices available.

A two ExaSound setup? Wow! You might want to consider an e28 for the second one. Then you will be ready to play Multichannel DSD as well!

• 2 weeks later...
HQPlayer 3 beta8 for OSX and I believe the Windows version both can use ASIO with exaSound DAC's now. Slowly but surely ASIO is starting to appear in more software.

Interesting. Last time I checked the exaSound and HQ Player web sites, they didn't have instructions on how to use those products together. Maybe it's time for the two companies to get together and document these new features + capabilities!

There is a great news for the users of the exaSound volume synchronization plug-in for JRiver Media Center for Windows. The plug-in allows JRiver and JRemote to operate the hardware volume control of exaSound DACs.

Until now the plug-in couldn't control the volume during DSD playback. The latest JRiver MC beta build 20.0.12 offers a new setting - "Enable Volume When Bitstreaming". Finally we can use JRemote as a unified remote control center for all music sources - PCM and DSD.

You can find the new setting by clicking on the Volume Options icon on the left side of the JRiver volume control slider.

The latest release of the exaSound Volume Synchronization Plug-in for JRiver MC for Windows is available for download on the exaSound support website.

Hmm, sounds like I need to check out JRemote and load the new JRiver 20!

My website was updated on Sep 4th with the 3.4.0 final release, so things do change... :) You can now just select ASIO backend from Preferences in HQPlayer and exaSound ASIO driver appears on the device list.

You can select CoreAudio or ASIO as DAC input from exaSound control panel icon at the top right menu bar area (blue note icon).

Hmm, time to visit your web site! :)

Exasound made an excellent decision and the same decision will be the best for all manufacturers that offer DSD DACs.

I want to repeat my post #360:

"When the customers see the advantages of ASIO for DSD256 and DSD512 they will put the pressure of competition on the companies. And Miskas comment gives hope:

Well, I'll put it this way... Let's say software player license costs average 100€. Software player has at least 1000 times more code than ASIO driver. So following the same logic people are ready to pay for software player licenses, ASIO driver would increase cost of the DAC by 0.1€. I think nobody would have issue paying such extra price, or even 10x whopping 1€ premium?

So the costs for ASIO are not high and the companies have some experiences with ASIO for Windows. IMO there is a bright future for ASIO for OSX."

Matt

The key will be customer interest and demand.

If other DAC makers see exaSound getting sales and purchases because exaSound made the investment and developed ASIO drivers while most other DAC makers have not, that can be a powerful motivation to add ASIO to current and future DSD DACs.

We will see what happens in the future.

you had me all excited there for a minute. Your setup is not an Ethernet network connection on the e28. But maybe George is offering a type of network bridge like the folks at ps audio and oppo. Just hoping....

The e28 is still a fine product - even without a bridge like the one from PS Audio.

However, since none of the Bridges or Music Server products out there support Multichannel Downloads playback, that might be an interesting product area for exaSound to explore for future release. They certainly have the expertise to do it (Multichannel DSD & PCM, ASIO drivers, Quad DSD, etc....)!

Is there anyone using the exasound e28 via analog ins to a Smyth Realiser to listen to multichannel recordings via headphones? I know that the Realiser ' s built in DAC is a limitation but I would bet that it still sounds amazing.

Esau

Well, you could bring in the 8 Channels of audio into the Smyth Realiser via the analog inputs. Can't say I've tried that yet with my e28. It's in the main Home Theater/Audio Room connected to a 5.1 speaker setup for full Multichannel & Stereo listening. Fun!

A network bridge in one form or another is a very appealing idea. exaSound is about to release Linux drivers. We've made the first beta-release available to third-party developers. The next beta-release is scheduled for the end of September.

Yes - and I think exaSound would be the company to do it since you have already tackled QuadDSD, ASIO Drivers and Multichannel.

The other bridge and server solutions out there are Stereo only. Only the Oppo disc player hints at what is possible.

George please put me down for an e28 with network bridge. Suggest you start a Kickstarter campaign to accelerate development and I will contribute. This would be a way better investment than PONO. Although I am a computer nerd, I'm a bigger audio nut. Sitting in my listening room I want to enjoy my music from the very best components I can afford, with my iPad and JRemote on my lap to choose what I want to listen to from my upstairs i7-980 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Server running JRiver and all my other audio software. That means no USB or SPDIF or Coax will do. Everything I read and research says LAN is not technology limited for connecting ultra high resolution audio devices.

A Kickstarter campaign for a Multichannel & Stereo DSD256 Bridge. Hmm, interesting idea!

Nice, I'm sure you'll love it.

I've ordered a Teddy Pardo power supply for my e22. Probably not necessary but for 1/10th of the unit's price why not give it a go.

I picked up a Paul Haynes power supply here with my e28 after reading Ted's review of the unit. I found it added some nice low end detail to playback. A good investment.

Can you point out some differences in sound with/without the PH LPSU? I received my exaSound with the PH power supply and never heard it without. I'm pleased with what I am hearing but I don't have a clue about what I'm getting with it. :)

In my experience you're getting a much better low end with the PH power supply and the exaSound. That was the case here when it was paired with the e28.

I received my e22 yesterday. Yesss!

Installation was not plug and play because my server runs on WS2012. Despite George's (President AND Customer Service) email almost telling me I'm a fool for getting WS2012 if I run an exaSound DAC because of incompatibility, I got it running relatively easily. But have to say there is a first opportunity to make a first impression and I'm left wondering if he means I'm a fool for buying his product...oh well, back to the unit.

No, George is telling you to skip the third party software DAC apps. JRiver and Foobar take the same position according to exaSound. You'll see more discussion of that on the exaSound web site.

Should I use JPlay with exaSound DACs? > exaSound Audio Design

HQ Player is not compatible with some, if not most of AudioPhil's optimizer's OS tweaks

Sounds like the best bet will be to go back to the exaSound ASIO drivers vs. the third party ones.

I tried the third party route once with the exaSound e28 and found the performance and sound was better staying with exaSound's drivers. It may be the story here as well.

Stuttering is a common symptom of buffer underrun issues. It can happen with video as well with audio. Increasing the J.River buffer to 500ms is recommended for most cases when playing back DSD files.

Hmm, I'm using JRiver 20 with the exaSound e28 and it is working fine with DSD files using the default 50 millisecond setting.

I am not using a exaSound DAC and on three of my DSD DAC's with the older AMD 4 core chip I had to increase the buffer size when playing DSD256 otherwise I will get stuttering once in a while doing other things on the computer.

OK, that's a key difference. I'm using an i7 based laptop plus the hardware buffer in the e28. Two advantages there.